Sending money

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
I use bank of America for large amounts. $45.00 I detest Western Union but I use them for small amounts under 1000.00. $8.I was sending 3000.00 a week and western union was having a COW then refused to send anymore.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Western Union was OK when the mode of transportation was the Stage Coach.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I use bank of America for large amounts. $45.00 I detest Western Union but I use them for small amounts under 1000.00. $8.I was sending 3000.00 a week and western union was having a COW then refused to send anymore.

Maybe check out xoom.com, which now is a service of paypal.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Maybe check out xoom.com, which now is a service of paypal.

no I live here now. I used xoom and I used just about everyone. my nephews wife worked at the location here in PTO PTA that represented xoom. I never trusted her.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
My current favourite service is Revolut (https://revolut.com/).

It's a fantastic way to spend your US$, EU?, GB?, etc. in foreign countries without getting ripped off by exorbitant fees and unfair exchange rates. The rates are calculated every second. You can make purchases in anywhere in over 90 currencies.

Also very easy to send money to others via their app or even via SMS, Email, WhatsApp and Social Media. The recipient doesn't even need to have a Revolut account.

Basically you can exchange, send and spend money from anywhere to anywhere without the need for a bank.

This looks like a UK/Europe based company and I got interested in them, but this bit below from their website is going to make it not very useful:

"Withdrawing cash from an ATM with your Revolut multi-currency card is free for ?500 (or equivalent) each month after which there is a 2% charge."

?500 a month is not much, not sure why such a low limit, it is usually ?500 per day.

edluv1

May 25, 2010
I use RIA Money Transfer online. https://www.riamoneytransfer.com . I send my transfers to Caribe Express. They charge 2 Dollars if you transfer via a US bank account.
Yes only 2 dollars. The first few transfers will take 3 or 4 days. After you build a trust relationship then your transfers will be ready on the
same day. They also offer no fee transfers for the first 30 days

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
I use RIA Money Transfer online. https://www.riamoneytransfer.com . I send my transfers to Caribe Express. They charge 2 Dollars if you transfer via a US bank account.
Yes only 2 dollars. The first few transfers will take 3 or 4 days. After you build a trust relationship then your transfers will be ready on the

Unfortunately if you live in Canada, as I do, you can not do online transfers with RIA.
I just called for rates.
It would cost me $40 + exchange rate to transfer $1000 CAD
and $80 + exchange rate to transfer $2000 CAD.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
This looks like a UK/Europe based company and I got interested in them, but this bit below from their website is going to make it not very useful:

"Withdrawing cash from an ATM with your Revolut multi-currency card is free for ?500 (or equivalent) each month after which there is a 2% charge."

?500 a month is not much, not sure why such a low limit, it is usually ?500 per day.

Yes usually if it sounds too good to be true, it won't work for you. :(
I just called Revolut.
They do not offer their service to Canada.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I do western union. Just send in dollars and let them exchange into pesos. Much better rate to send in dollars and not send in pesos.
Western union works for me....monygram is a part of western union , and their outlets are in banks, so bank hours!! western union has stand alone sites, in santiago there is a gusman money exchange right next to it, so send in dollars , take to gusman exchange for peso, i am sure western uion was start by pony expres

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I tried to send by Ria once, and their page brought up Colombian Pesos for the DR at 2000 pesos to the dollar. I didn't go thru with it because I was not sure how much confusion it would cause when she went to pick up my pesos here.

Jan 9, 2004
Unfortunately if you live in Canada, as I do, you can not do online transfers with RIA.
I just called for rates.
It would cost me $40 + exchange rate to transfer $1000 CAD
and $80 + exchange rate to transfer $2000 CAD.

Owned by Western Union, but with miserly prices to send.......Vigo.

You can send in dollars, loonies , etc., and let the person on the receiving end take it in dollars, loonies and then seek the best rate at a casa de cambio.

http://vigocanada.ca/

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Owned by Western Union, but with miserly prices to send.......Vigo.

You can send in dollars, loonies , etc., and let the person on the receiving end take it in dollars, loonies and then seek the best rate at a casa de cambio.

http://vigocanada.ca/

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks maybe you can explain how their miserly website works?
I spent more than 5 minutes there and couldn't find out how to open an account or see how their money transfers work/rates!
The only thing I discovered is that the closest agent to me is a 30+ minute drive one way from where I live. :(

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Look out for exchange rate markup as well, the Ria website gives you 44.7233 pesos for a US$1 right now, that is about 2.5% markup... !

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Look out for exchange rate markup as well, the Ria website gives you 44.7233 pesos for a US$1 right now, that is about 2.5% markup... !

I see that as a "haircut" or markdown, either way, it's less, but only one RD Peso.

Jan 9, 2004
Thanks maybe you can explain how their miserly website works?
I spent more than 5 minutes there and couldn't find out how to open an account or see how their money transfers work/rates!
The only thing I discovered is that the closest agent to me is a 30+ minute drive one way from where I live. :(

30 minutes away....skip Vigo then.

My experience was with an actual agent located about a mile from my office. I never used the website. I only posted it because you indicated you were in Canada.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Doesn't PayPal have a system for sending money ??

Yes, there was / is some issue linking a Dom Bank with PAYPAL.
This might have been resolved.
Their tasa / fees were quite reasonable, I use a PAYPAL account as one source of local funds, linked to my B of A account..

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Yes, there was / is some issue linking a Dom Bank with PAYPAL.
This might have been resolved.
Their tasa / fees were quite reasonable, I use a PAYPAL account as one source of local funds, linked to my B of A account..

I used Paypal one time recently.
Their fee is so so.
The problem is that you don't know the rate the bank will be charging until the money is picked up.
Other companies tell you the exchange rate right away so you can decide what to do.
The total for my transfer? Around 15% of money transferred!!!

Jan 9, 2004
I used Paypal one time recently.
Their fee is so so.
The problem is that you don't know the rate the bank will be charging until the money is picked up.
Other companies tell you the exchange rate right away so you can decide what to do.
The total for my transfer? Around 15% of money transferred!!!

For comparison purposes, try this from the World Bank;

https://remittanceprices.worldbank.org/en/corridor/United-States/Dominican-Republic

You can manipulate both the sending and receiving country.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2