Serious Immigration Delays at SDQ

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Computer translated:

There are serious delays in the immigration check-up of people entering the Dominican Republic​

SANTO DOMINGO.- In recent days the entry of people to the Dominican Republic through the Las Américas airport (AILA) and the border with Haiti has been developing with difficulties that border on the chaotic.

Last night there was a congestion of almost two hours in the AILA after flights arrived from New York and other places, and the immigration inspectors (all newly appointed young people) were insufficient to serve the large number of passengers, including foreign tourists.

In each of the migration cabins, designed for two inspectors to operate simultaneously, there was hardly one.

After standing for almost two hours, in a hot environment, many people protested loudly.

ALMOMENTO.NET journalists observed that in order to correct the problem, the new inspectors chose to carry out the checks expressly, without thoroughly reviewing the passports and other documents of the travelers.

In parallel, videos are circulating profusely on social media showing Haitians entering the country, almost in the form of an avalanche, to participate in the binational border markets, without being checked or meeting any requirements.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
, the new inspectors chose to carry out the checks expressly, without thoroughly reviewing the passports and other documents of the travelers.

This is a nice addition to the inexisting or non-functioning security cameras in the airport... And this is the second largest in terms of passenger traffic in the country, I believe? So now anyone can not only enter the airport (not exactly, but almost) and no papers for incoming passengers are checked properly...

Not sure why Abinader has not addressed the problems with AILA in any way, or if he has, I have missed that? After that, does passenger security in AILA have to do with the "tourist dollars" as well?

We've always used POP airport, and I can only imagine the chaos in AILA...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is a nice addition to the inexisting or non-functioning security cameras in the airport... And this is the second largest in terms of passenger traffic in the country, I believe? So now anyone can not only enter the airport (not exactly, but almost) and no papers for incoming passengers are checked properly...

Not sure why Abinader has not addressed the problems with AILA in any way, or if he has, I have missed that? After that, does passenger security in AILA have to do with the "tourist dollars" as well?

We've always used POP airport, and I can only imagine the chaos in AILA...
I'll be departing in July and returning a few months later. I'm looking forward to it (well not exactly) but last time it was paper forms only and it took about 1hr to pass go.

Reactions: josh2203

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I'll be departing in July and returning a few months later. I'm looking forward to it (well not exactly) but last time it was paper forms only and it took about 1hr to pass go.
Aerodom Asked Migration to increase the number of inspector, that is something Aerodom shouldnt be asking to do because Migration by itselft must do it according to the amount of passenger arriving, the person in charge to schedule the shifts is not doing his job and now more in covid time. I recomend to those with Dominican Passport to register their passport for use the autogate and skip migration line.

Reactions: CristoRey

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This may tip me over the line to get a passport -
Although I don't use SDQ that much.....

Next arrival for me - June 13th SDQ