Setting up surveying services in the DR

Teacher

Nov 27, 2004
In order for a US liscensed surveyor to work for banks etc in the DR what would be the process if working with a local citizen? I know that is a large question but a few details would be greatly appreciated.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Surveying,

Teacher said:
In order for a US liscensed surveyor to work for banks etc in the DR what would be the process if working with a local citizen? I know that is a large question but a few details would be greatly appreciated.

Hi! It is my exprerience that a great deal of the "surveying" done in the DR is of a primitive nature...I have seen houses in Puerto plata described only by the names of the adjacent property owners. I believe transits are as rare as hens' teeth. Now these comments may indicaste to more knowledgable folks that I don't know s..t from Cheyene! My question to you is "Have you ever been to the DR?" "Do you speak Spanish fluently?" "Are you prepared to live on Dominican wages?"
Good surveyors are well paid in the US and Canada, so why on earth would you want to move? Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And good surveyors are fairly well paid here too.

Surveyors are part of CODIA, the engineering, architect and topographer syndicate.

A US topographer would go nuts even trying to work here. First he would need to be licensed, and that would mean that his degree in the US would have to be recognized by a Dominican university and he would have to take classes in Dominican land measurements-metrics of course, plus the local land tenure laws etc etc. THEN he would have to work for a topographer for at least two years and THEN he would need to request his admission to CODIA and his Execuator or License to practice. Probably three or four years of his time.

No an easy option.

HB :D:D

PS. FYI, topographers here have laser transits and equipment. Many are very very up to date....I guess we have teethy hens?????:p:p:p

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hillbilly said:
Surveyors are part of CODIA, the engineering, architect and topographer syndicate.

A US topographer would go nuts even trying to work here. First he would need to be licensed, and that would mean that his degree in the US would have to be recognized by a Dominican university and he would have to take classes in Dominican land measurements-metrics of course, plus the local land tenure laws etc etc. THEN he would have to work for a topographer for at least two years and THEN he would need to request his admission to CODIA and his Execuator or License to practice. Probably three or four years of his time.

No an easy option.

HB :D:D

PS. FYI, topographers here have laser transits and equipment. Many are very very up to date....I guess we have teethy hens?????:p:p:p

Good stuff HB, I knew I'd stir up some comments from somebody a lot more knowledgeable than me! Canadian Bob.