Sharks (not human)

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A female friend of mine with her sister rented a car in Sosua four days ago and went to Samana. There they found a beautiful secluded beach and left swimming. In about 300 m from the beach they saw a two-meter long shark that was swimming in just one meter from them. It is hard to expain why it did not attack them and allowed them to return to the land.

Sister`s little son was at the beach alone at that time.

I told her many times that there is alot of sharks in the water here and not to swim this far. Please be very careful everybody.

This is the OP opening post, and he/she does not mention the age of the "little son" nor whether the child could swim or not. Maybe scolding these women for leaving the little son alone on the beach is unjust and uncalled for.

My own daughter Angela, at one-and-half-years of age, almost drowned in a pool, in front of my own eyes, including those of the lifesaver on duty. She was sitting on the steps leading to the water and apparently got on a swimming board that floated to the middle of the pool, where she fell off. I happen to notice a small nose that had poked through the surface of the water and sumerged again. Without thinking twice, I dived into the middle of the pool and retrieved my daughter from the bottom. When we surfaced, she was laughing. Obviously she was too young to realize what was happening. The next day, I hired the best swimming instructor I could find. He was a fellow training the Panamerican Games children's swimming team at the Hotel Fiesta swimming pool. I told him that all I wanted was for the child to defend herself in water deeper than her head, not to learn how to swim. After several sessions, my daughter was able to swim the entire 25 meter length of the pool. Then, another problem ensued. Everytime the then two-year-old child (by the way, she was very tiny for her age) would jump into a pool, all adults in the vecinity would jump in after her, believing she had fallen accidentally, and would drown. She could swim like a fish.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't know about 300 meter swim as i can hardly do more than 3 meters in open water.
since i have seen "the jaws" years ago i have the fear of water. now that i live about 100 meters from the ocean i have gone to swim maybe 4 times, never in the water that could cover me.
minovio tells me there are no sharks here but i know it's a lie. the ocean is big, sharks can be anywhere. why temp the fate? i'll swim in the pool, thank you very much.
even thou i am a crap swimmer i have been on a diving trip in sosua. i saw a big fish with the corner of my eye. i thought about the fact i was under the water, long way from the beach - and then i just looked other way. see no evil, know no evil.....

Sep 19, 2005
Then, another problem ensued. Everytime the then two-year-old child (by the way, she was very tiny for her age) would jump into a pool, all adults in the vecinity would jump in after her, believing she had fallen accidentally, and would drown. She could swim like a fish.

tell us the truth, it only worked on blondes....right? ha ha ha

bob

Sep 19, 2005
hey Mirador... was giving the MORAL( the jist) the( bottom line) (the meat and potatoes)( the end result) ect ect ect of the story...not the correct form of the expression!!! ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

bob

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Shark attacks woman....

"....she knew the shark bit her after she had trouble moving her leg. She was taken to a hospital, where she received 40 stitches, the report said."

6cr6anq.jpg

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"....she knew the shark bit her after she had trouble moving her leg. She was taken to a hospital, where she received 40 stitches, the report said."

6cr6anq.jpg
Mirador, I resent you posting that picture of the ex-wife without my permission.

Grrrrr.....:bunny:

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
I just returned this morning from Azua, and went shoping next door to El Nacional Supermarket (Bella Vista Mall), and surprise! on one of the fish gondolas in front of the seafood section there was a whole shark for sale. I asked the attendant for the price, but he seemed not to understand my question. So I told him bluntly, never mind! and continued to the delicatessen section....

By the way, 99.99 percent of sharks are deadly afraid of people, like stray dogs, they will quickly shy away from you, "Ugh!!! I almost touched a human", is what probably goes through their shark minds. Sharks are carrion feeders, which means they will only eat dead flesh. So when you hear news about an unfortunate bunch of Dominicans trying to flee this Dominican paradise, and their yola overturns in the treacherous sea between Miches and Mayaguez PR, they all probably drowned before the sharks decided to feast on them....

Sure tell that to a Great White.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Too bad tropical water can't sustain that bad boy.

great vid

There are Great Whites off the east coast of central Florida and I suspect they range further south. The DR is only about 700 miles southeast of this coast and the water temperatures on the north coast of the DR are very similar to Florida's. However, as I said earlier in this thread, in 11 years in Las Galeras I've only see one bull shark and it was caught at night in about 60' of water. Here in the Caribbean, sharks usually move in from deep water late in the afternoon and then stay and feed in the shallower water until early morning when they again move out into deep water. If you confine your swimming from mid-morning to mid-afternoon your chances are greatly reduced you will encounter a shark much less be involved in an attack. Bear in mind that many of the smaller fish that serve as shark's primary food have been caught by local DR fishermen as they have fished out most inshore waters surrounding the island. And as their food supply has dwindled so has the shark population.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
There are Great Whites off the east coast of central Florida and I suspect they range further south. The DR is only about 700 miles southeast of this coast and the water temperatures on the north coast of the DR are very similar to Florida's. However, as I said earlier in this thread, in 11 years in Las Galeras I've only see one bull shark and it was caught at night in about 60' of water. Here in the Caribbean, sharks usually move in from deep water late in the afternoon and then stay and feed in the shallower water until early morning when they again move out into deep water. If you confine your swimming from mid-morning to mid-afternoon your chances are greatly reduced you will encounter a shark much less be involved in an attack. Bear in mind that many of the smaller fish that serve as shark's primary food have been caught by local DR fishermen as they have fished out most inshore waters surrounding the island. And as their food supply has dwindled so has the shark population.

My father, as a child (circa 1920), remembers fishermen talking about a legendary giant shark which had been seen around the island, but too big to fish. They referred to it as "El Peje Caj?n". Peje is archaic for pez (fish), but the use of the term extends to non-fish animals, and it's even used as a nickname, Fulano, El Peje.