Sharpening knives and scissors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a wet stone for sharpening our global knives. but for a cheap knife? nah, machine will do.

May 29, 2006
The hot knife brand nowadays is Shun.. Not a fan of Global handles or the price tags. One of the head cooks I worked with used a $30 Paula Dean knife set. I ended up getting my dad a set for Father's Day right before her empire imploded. At home, I mostly use cheap $10 deba style knives from Bed Bath and Beyond. I forget the brand.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The hot knife brand nowadays is Shun.. Not a fan of Global handles.

love global handles. and love shun blades. when miesposo bought our knives i was b**ching until i used one of them. wow. really, what a difference. for bread we have wusthof. no idea how to sharpen the serrated blade, any tips?

May 29, 2006
You need either a round ceramic sharpening stone rod or the sharpener with disks. I use a cheap offset knife from a restaurant supply store. It should stay sharp if you're only using it for bread. Maybe it's the salt air? I used mine for over ripe tomatoes.

The next knife I get will prob be a good 8" cleaver and then a butcher's cimeter for breaking down large cuts of meat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i make sure it is only used for bread although i am too guilty of using it on tomatoes. it is still very sharp. i just wanted to know about sharpening options precisely because of the proximity of the ocean.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv" you are very lucky, the only "Dominican" in your house is your "Esposo"!!!!!
And he doesn't use your "Good Knives" as a "Can Opener", or a "Screw Driver", or a "Multi-Tool"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
"dv" you are very lucky, the only "Dominican" in your house is your "Esposo"!!!!!
And he doesn't use your "Good Knives" as a "Can Opener", or a "Screw Driver", or a "Multi-Tool"!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i kid you not, when we went home for vacation i wrapped the knives in a towel and put them in a wardrobe so the guy who was taking care of our place did not use them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i kid you not, when we went home for vacation i wrapped the knives in a towel and put them in a wardrobe so the guy who was taking care of our place did not use them.

I lock up half my kitchen stuff when I leave, so I can identify. Our maid cannot use a can opener, no matter how many times I've showed her. She comes to me with the can and the opener each time, as I've told her to never use one of my knives.

As far as sharpening knives and scissors, Mr. AE uses a stone, I use a thingy I bought from QVC.

Scissors, I thought, have to be sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing. Am I correct that barbering/haircutting scissors have a special angle they have to be sharpened to?