She wants divorce, will he be deported?

Morenita84

Aug 22, 2004
Hello all,

The fiance of my good friend brought him here two years ago on a K1 visa. They were married a month after he arrived and everything has been going pretty smoothly pertaining to him getting his Green Card.

His last appointment was scheduled for this month and basically his wife is refusing to go to the last appointment with him and saying that she wants a divorce. She couldn't go to the second appointment because she was out of the country and they wouldn't reschedule. They told him that if she didn't go to the final appointment that their petition would be denied (Meaning he wouldn't get his green card).

He has a steady job and is afraid that he will be deported since she decided to back out. My question to all of you would be will he be deported because she wants a divorce?

Are there any steps that he can take to protect his rights and job? I would appreciate any comments and expertise.

Thank you,
R.D. Rodriguez

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
He needs an Immigration Lawyer in the States. He can still get the Green Card, but it would be a lot easier if she cooperates.

Morenita84

Aug 22, 2004
Sorry for not being clear... Here is the U.S.

As far as I've been informed, he can't be deported unless he's done something criminal correct?

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Why does she want a divorce? Maybe because he wasn't all that clear with her that all he wanted was a visa? If that's the case...he SHOULD be deported...because that IS criminal...

And why are you friends with him and not the wife?

Red flags all over this...

MQ

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
He needs a good lawyer. What are the grounds for divorce? They can try counseling. I know of people who stayed despite the fact that they got divorced earlier then condition removed from permanent residency because they were able to prove that they have done everything to save their marriage, did not cheat or abuse the spouse or have not done anything illegal etc...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
MQ is right..red flags all over this one....

Live and learn girls and guys, live and learn...

HB :D:D

Morenita84

Aug 22, 2004
I did not come here to have to defend myself or my friendship. Although I am in a very serious relationship and very happy, I am concerned for my friend. I am friendly with the wife and have no problem with her. But like I said.... I was posting to see what his options were, and if he would be deported. Not asking for personal opinions about anything other than that. Thanks to everyone who provided helpful information regarding my post!

Jan 5, 2006
As long as he has the right lawyer, he will not be deported and will be granted permanent residency (green dard). If your friend is in the NY area, try contacting the office of Jesus Peña, who is one of the most respected immigration attorneys around. Good luck!

sunshine73

Apr 5, 2006
I agree with Hipocrito..........Jesus Pena is the best.......but see how he can sweeten her up........maybe she'll go.......good luck