shipment from USA to Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Papers has to be submit to the Dr consulat to be approved that will allowe you to get out of custom and benefit from the tax exempt for your house hold goods.Does the Sipment compagnie deal with the DR consulat in the usa to obtain what you called"cedula".?and other admistative paper requier from the DR government for custom?

After you find a good moving company, you have to do the following:
1. After it has been translated to spanish, send your birth certificate -and if you want to import your vehicles all the titles- (You can use the duty free exemption on only one vehicle, so if you plan to take more, you have to pay tax.) to one of the DR Consulate in the US. We sent ours to the LA Consulate, I can recommend someone there. They will authenticate the birth cert. and the title(s).
Note: Birth cert. is for the immigration and title is for the custom department, but both has to be authenticated. If they are not translated to spanish, they can do that for you IF your documents are issued in english but it will cost you $ 60.00 / documents. Also the fee for the authentication is $ 75.00 / document.

2. I strongly suggest to find a good lawyer in the DR for the immigration process. I'm using DR. Guzman's Lawfirm - I was in their SD office friday, and I was pleased with their services. It takes about a week to take care of the required health check and submit the paper works to the immigration. When all the documents are submitted, the immigration dept. will issue a receipt that you passed the health check and submitted all the paperworks to them. This is the paper that you need to take to the custom dept. or to your custom broker to get the exemption.
If you are not in a hurry, the best if you can come down here, take care of your residency (after the health check and submitting the docs. to the immigration, you can travel back to the US.) It takes about 4-6 months to receive your residency and cedula according to our lawyer.

3. Find a good shipping company / custom broker. My custom broker takes care all the moving. He takes care of big commercial companies like hospitals, hotels, factories customs and shipping needs. The friend of mine who recommended him to me, give me good references, however I'm using him at the first time, so until I have received all my goods (2 containers) I won't be able to give you a 100% feedback on his company. So far I'm very pleased with his services also. If you need some more info, check your PM.
Make a very specific list of EVERYTHING that you want to bring, this way they can give you a more accurate cost of the fees and duties.

If there is anything that I can help with, PM me.

Good luck with your move!

TheHun

ben oregon

Apr 20, 2008
i have heard mixed review about bringing a car to the DR with the tax exempt program, could some one gave me a final answer about that idea of bringing a car from the USA? does it wroth taking that chance on a $ 17000.oo car?(almost new)

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Ben,

to get the examption on the car, you have to own it at least a year, that means it must be over a year old. The exemption is only for once in your life. You have to submit everything that you plan to bring at once.

TheHun

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ben,

to get the examption on the car, you have to own it at least a year, that means it must be over a year old. The exemption is only for once in your life. You have to submit everything that you plan to bring at once.

TheHun
And it is only a partial exemption.
You pay a reduced percentage.

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
I am not sure if this is the correct posting in here , but I am curious . I was in the capital and I saw a car that had puerto rico license plates on it , when I asked my friend who has lived here for some time he told me that alot of people come to the DR with there vehicles. As in this case my friend told me that he came over on a ferry from puerto rico to Santo Domingo, and that there is also a ferry that goes from miami to puerto rico and from there to Santo Domingo on another ferry . he says that plenty of people do this , he says he has seen motorcycles and cars , from the us there , is this true ? can you bring your vehicle there? or motorcycle ? will the police hassle you there ?

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
I am leaving the USA for good,after 21 years in Oregon.i need to bring some reminders from my life here in oregon. You can't erase 21 years of your life that easy,even to chase after a better life.So i might end up paying$1000 for a table that wroth $10 but to me it worth 20 millions $$ of memories.Do you understand my point?

I just did the same thing. I shipped my "memories" from LA to Santo Domingo - I paid about $2500 to get the stuff from LA to Haina. I paid $300 to Hispaniola Freight in Sto. Dom. for their administrative stuff. I went alone to Haina port - wow, what a nightmare. $$$ were written all over my blond-haired, blue-eyed face. But you just have to go with the flow although it was very, very frustrating at times. I did request, and get, the one-time exemption - that was a 1-week process in and of itself.

Basically you have to:

• Go to port
  • Buy customs form -$75RD
  • Complete customs form - can't be hand-written - so you'll pay for that. Your inventory list will be added to the customs form in Spanish so it would be good to translate this ahead of time
  • Verify your stuff at the port - this means paying someone to open and then re-close your boxes for the "inspectors" to check it out
  • Collecting your "printer" which lists the items on your list and the duty they want to hit you up for
  • THEN you take your printer and other documents (including proof that you are applying for residency) and head to the DGA to request the exemption. they are open from 8-5 Mon-Wed-Fri but I would suggest going on a Tues or Thurs - the secretary to Sr. Hugh-Exoneraciones, will review your paperwork - if you are missing something she'll let you know and you won't waste a trip on Mon-Wed-Fri.
  • DGA: Mon-Wed-Fri - get there as early as possible - this is an all day event and it pays to be one of the early birds - I got there at 7:30AM and got out at 4PM. It is however, very entertaining as Sr. Hugh has a speech he gives that will have you in stitches.
  • One week later - I was approved and on to Haina to retrieve my stuff w/o paying taxes.

This was my experience as I did not have an agent - in either case, good luck to you. Now that I am home with my "stuff" I am a happy camper but I would not do it again!

Reactions: FernieBee

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
Follow-up

I just did the same thing. I shipped my "memories" from LA to Santo Domingo - I paid about $2500 to get the stuff from LA to Haina. I paid $300 to Hispaniola Freight in Sto. Dom. for their administrative stuff. I went alone to Haina port - wow, what a nightmare. $$$ were written all over my blond-haired, blue-eyed face. But you just have to go with the flow although it was very, very frustrating at times. I did request, and get, the one-time exemption - that was a 1-week process in and of itself.

Basically you have to:

• Go to port
  • Buy customs form -$75RD
  • Complete customs form - can't be hand-written - so you'll pay for that. Your inventory list will be added to the customs form in Spanish so it would be good to translate this ahead of time
  • Verify your stuff at the port - this means paying someone to open and then re-close your boxes for the "inspectors" to check it out
  • Collecting your "printer" which lists the items on your list and the duty they want to hit you up for
  • THEN you take your printer and other documents (including proof that you are applying for residency) and head to the DGA to request the exemption. they are open from 8-5 Mon-Wed-Fri but I would suggest going on a Tues or Thurs - the secretary to Sr. Hugh-Exoneraciones, will review your paperwork - if you are missing something she'll let you know and you won't waste a trip on Mon-Wed-Fri.
  • DGA: Mon-Wed-Fri - get there as early as possible - this is an all day event and it pays to be one of the early birds - I got there at 7:30AM and got out at 4PM. It is however, very entertaining as Sr. Hugh has a speech he gives that will have you in stitches.
  • One week later - I was approved and on to Haina to retrieve my stuff w/o paying taxes.

This was my experience as I did not have an agent - in either case, good luck to you. Now that I am home with my "stuff" I am a happy camper but I would not do it again!

The officer who interviewed at me in August at DGA for the exoneracion just knocked on my door to confirm that I live here and that I got my stuff, nothing was stolen, etc. He came with another Aduanas individual, both with IDs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.