Shipping from Providence, RI to Santo Domingo, DR?

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Anybody have any info on shipping a box, probably will have two flat screens for personal use, and some clothes to be used by me and my family? I am interested in any positive experiences with any shipping companys or negative for that matter from the Providence RI area, or maybe even Boston. I am looking for shipping via freighter. Any info on what I can expect from customs upon the package arriving. I figure the box I will use will be 25 by 25 with 28 being the height in inches. Ideas on what I probably will be paying? I have been told about $350 total door to door. Is this realistic?

Jan 9, 2004
Flat screen what...

TV's, computer monitors?

Cargo Express in Lawrence, MA is my choice. 33 boxes and four more en route......and not one misstep. I use a local agent in my hometown. Cost is $160 (holiday special beginning Oct 1st) for a 27" TV box. This includes delivery to your door in the DR and customs charges.

TV's and other electrical goods need to be declared and are more money to ship. If you do not declare it...and they find it...you will be charged the tax plus what I like to call the "aggravation" fee. The smaller items they largely ignore. It is possible for you to get a DVD player, microwave or a fan through customs. What they have now are wonderful new x-ray/scanning equipment to determine the contents of a box, or for that matter an entire container.

Transport generally takes 5 weeks by boat. Buy your boxes at U-Haul as they have the industrial strength necesary to withstand the journey.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Cesar Express??

I've used Cesar Express twice, afer a friend's positive ecommendations; I was satisfed both times.
* It has an office in Lynn, Mass. @ 2+ hours from Providence, RI. Also, an office in Santo Domingo; nice people & very responsible by local [ie DR!] standards.
* Lynn MA - 781 - 477 - 1520; no web site; nearly all of the Lynn employees speak English. Good luck.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Hey Drgolfer - I have never shipped other than FedEx and I still go burnt! - I hand carry all of my stuff when I travel there. When you find out what method you plan to use, please share it with me because I too want to ship to the DR.

By the way, I am from North Providence and I will be going to the DR again in 2 1/2 weeks in the SD area. send me a PM for any questions..

DAKRA

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Dakra,

I sent you a private email also. I am using a company out of Gloucester, Mass. It will cost me about 350 to ship two flat panel televisions and whatever else i can fit in a 25x25x28 box, Gloucester to my door in Boca chica. My friend in Gloucester has shipped appliances via this company for a couple of years, no real problems. I will let you know after I get there how it went. Unless I hear from someone else on a better idea. I would rather not have to drive to Gloucester, Ma. when we have a large Dominican population right here in Providence. They must do it somehow. I will investigate more.

DAKRA

Bronze
Feb 21, 2007
Thanks - Hope that someone locally in Providence, Rhode Island can share their experiences or make a recommendation to you. Have a good safe trip!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I decided to bump this old thread rather than start a new one. Can anyone give current info on door to door shippers in the Boston area?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I decided to bump this old thread rather than start a new one. Can anyone give current info on door to door shippers in the Boston area?

Try Montero Shipping

(781) 581-7707

757 Western Ave
Lynn, MA 01905

I've used them out of NY with no problems,

AE

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Door to door

Try Montero Shipping

(781) 581-7707

757 Western Ave
Lynn, MA 01905

I've used them out of NY with no problems,

AE

I 2nd that, I am from the area.....North of Boston, a few of my friends have used them....and liked them....they have a pretty good Rep around here........:smoke: