shopping for furniture???

Rachel B

Dec 30, 2007
Shopping for Basics and Buying a Car for new residents

Hello Group - this is my first posting. My husband and I are thinking of retiring to the North Coast somewhere in the foothills. We have gotten plenty of info on real estate but nothing on basic shopping - for example, for consumer electronics (like TVs), furniture, linens, etc... Are things generally available (good quality, decent price) or do you have to make a run to the States?

#2, how about buying a car? We are thinking perhaps we need a small SUV with four wheel drive. What about prices / availabilty?

We are considering both Panama and the DR, although the DR seems to be quite a bit more reasonable price wise, we are a little concerned about the financial / political stability and the potential lack of infrastructure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Rey

cabfam

Nov 6, 2007
Furniture stores in Punta Cana

Does any one have any info on furniture stores in/near El Cortecito Punta Cana? I have Purchased A 2-bedroom Condo and would like to find a place where the prices are reasonable, decent quality and offers delivery....any info would be a great help!!!

Wendy Hunt

Mar 10, 2011
We were just down to the DR and bought a condo in Cofresi. We checked out the political situation prior to our trip and found that the government has been stable since about 1967. They have elections, and even primarys, they have a senate too. We found prices to be very reasonable except for taxis. If they spot you're a tourist they charge through the roof. The beaches and the ocean there are unbelievably beautiful, the water warm and clear.

Wendy Hunt

Mar 10, 2011
About the car - residents there who can aford to do so buy four-wheel drive vehicles because sometimes in the rainy season (I don't know when that is yet) the roads aren't that great. If you are not going out of the towns or cities you would probably be okay with a regular car, just watch out for all the moped drivers who weave in and out!