Should I pay half up front.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know why you guys are painting such a negative picture to the users of this forum. I have worked with Ferreteria Linares (Cabarete) and Llibre (Sabaneta). They have been very accommodating and willing to work out various discount rates depending on the material purchased. They have opened 30 day accounts for me. They have always replaced damaged items (more Linares than Llibre). They have often called all over the North Coast and Santiago to find items they did not have for me in stock.

I have started with one home with them and now going on my third.

"No way"?
We are merely stating the truth.
I'm glad that you have developed a good relationship with those 2 hardwares, and I bet there's a bunch more who run a tight ship, but what we have told you is true.
Bear in mind, that some of us have been here for decades.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Well, it might be strange to you to pay half upfront, but what about the contractor's point of view?

HE's working for folks here in the DR too, and once he does the job, how do you think HE can get paid if the customer decides to burn HIM? Can he get back in the property , and repossess the work and materials he just got done installing??? (that's tougher than tracking someone down to come and finish the job, isn't it?)

I have no doubt that the contractors here do this for a reason, and not just because they need materials or live on a tight budget.

fightfish

Jan 11, 2008
Good point. I think the difference is that the property owner(the guy hiring the contractor) isnt likely to disappear sometime during the job. In other words, you always will know where the jobsite is, but the contractor is mobile....

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Good point. I think the difference is that the property owner(the guy hiring the contractor) isnt likely to disappear sometime during the job. In other words, you always will know where the jobsite is, but the contractor is mobile....
That's a major part of the problem, and the other part is that some of these folks pretty much have nothing, so even if you win a financial court decision against them, you can't squeeze blood from a stone.