Should stay in DR or move back to US?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Depends.

If you go to an also-ran college in the states, that doesn't mean much in the US or DR. Harvard? Yale? Stanford? U of MI? That's different.

PUCMM means nada in the states, but has a LOT more weight than an also-ran US school in the DR, and there is a strong alumni network...which is CRITICAL early in your career.

You're too young to worry about such compromises. GO TO THE BEST POSSIBLE UNIVERSITY YOU CAN, ANYWHERE ON THE PLANET, GET AT LEAST A MASTERS IN AN AREA YOU HAVE A PASSION AND THEN CHASE THOSE DREAMS AND LIFESTYLE ISSUES.

You're still a young skull full of mush. Fill that vessel first and foremost. The fact you even put *fun* in the mix tells me your priorities are somewhat skewed...

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
Thank you everybody, I finally got some great advice! I will digest all of this and think of a decision although I think I will most likely end up in the States! :)

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010
Thank you everybody, I finally got some great advice! I will digest all of this and think of a decision although I think I will most likely end up in the States! :)

Except for some "side arguments", you have gotten good advice. Go the the US, spend that year, and become an "in state" student in Georgia. It will make a BIG difference in tuition. Take a look:

http://www.usg.edu/fiscal_affairs/documents/tuition_and_fees/fy13_undergraduate_tuition.pdf

Keep your grades up and you can probably get into ANY graduate program that you wish (and I hope you wish that). I know "state school" students who have done just that. They are now in Ivy League graduate programs.

The sky is the limit for you, young man. Best of luck!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
As a youngster with the option I think it is a no brainer. You can always come back, but it is nice to have the option. If you stay here then your options are restricted somewhat. These are the decisions that will form your future, make the right one, do your best to keep your options as open as possible. Most of us finished uni and are not doing anything relevant to our studies, that's just how it happens as we mature our priorities change. That piece of paper will be worth more should you never need it, rather than need it and not have it.

Eandc

Apr 11, 2013
Well I'm not that much of a good student here (I put no effort in studying at all but I wish to correct this). If I do move to the US I will consider getting a tutor.

Also, would my grade be lowered if I move to the US? How does that work?
Is it possible to get into a decent graduate program despite only studying senior year in the US for highschool?

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
yeah. PUCMM. ranks number 5250 in the world. it will look really nice on your resume in the event that you need to get a job in the USA.

The funny thing is that my friend who went to the 5250th school in the world just got accepted into the 4th (Harvard) for a MBA.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I'm not that much of a good student here (I put no effort in studying at all but I wish to correct this). If I do move to the US I will consider getting a tutor.

Is it possible to get into a decent graduate program despite only studying senior year in the US for highschool?

Depends on you. I know several Dominicans that went to the US for their last two years of high school. One made dean's list at Vaughn college and just received his BSc in Aircraft Operations. Another is currently going to school for her RN.

Major448

Silver
Sep 8, 2010

I don't know your situation with the grades, or how they will handle it in the US. THEY will be able to tell you, when you enroll. If they say that you need to take something over (and not saying that that is the case), look at it as an opportunity to show what you can do.

As far as a "decent" grad program .... you have to get into college first, AND DO WELL (that means study and stay focused). Wishing and wanting will not be enough. You will have to "do the work". No shortcuts. You CAN do it if you really want it. If you do well in your college work ... then yes, you can get into a "decent" grad program.

Olvidado

Jun 19, 2012
yeah. PUCMM. ranks number 5250 in the world. it will look really nice on your resume in the event that you need to get a job in the USA.

I think Chip is old enough to speak for himself, but it seems to me that Chip is getting his masters to enhance his life and experience, not to get a job. I guess I was lucky; cleaned bathrooms during the night for about 18 months during my undergraduate, until I got a better job, but I went for what I was passionate about, the scholarship later on, and the jobs, came as a result of loving my major. I guess I was lucky...

JoseArzabalceta

Mar 6, 2012
I have been presented with the opportunity to study/move back to the US (I am currently in 11th grade here in DR), the problem is that I don't really what to do since I also have the option of staying here and getting into UTESA or maybe even PUCMM. I have asked some adults for advice but most of them tell me to get my education in the US and to live there because "things are getting worse here and many college grads that manage to get a job here end up working with a low salary or end up moving to the US anyways". I really saw myself living here for the rest of my life ( I really like the dominican lifestyle...and the girls...). Now, I have been told that the cheaper way to get into a university in the States is to get a state residency where the university is located although for this you are usually required to prove that you have lived in that state for at least 1 year so if I plan on moving it would be a smarter idea to finish highschool (senior year) and claim state residency at the end of my first year living there (Georgia).

If I somehow were to know that I am going to be succesful here I would definitely stay here but for this I would need to be really good in the area of my choice or know politicans or something. I know too many people that ended up moving to the States due to better life quality, job opportunities (etc...) and I really don't want to make a decision I would later regret just because of my infatuation with this country.

Where do you see DR headed to 10-20 years from now? Should I move? Should I stay? Which is the better idea?

P.S. I am an American teenager born from Dominican parents and can obtain dual citizenship and I love this country! (except for the fact that you need lots of cash to live comfortable here :p).

Get to USA.
Try to find UTESA here : World's Best Universities in Latin America; Top Latin American Universities | US News
Or any other Dominican college

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

You sound like a bright, intelligent guy. I think the opportunities in the DR will get better over the next 5 years. I guess it really depends on what your field of studies will be. In the US the job market is really not that great either but certain areas like health care, which could include hospital administration and computer will still be growth areas for jobs. If possible I would consider getting your college education in the states. I think the quality of education is better and certainly the experience you will gain living there will be priceless. There are many good schools in South Florida and if you want a change of weather in New York State. If you have the opportunity to do this take it. It is really a short period of your life and you can always come back to the DR.

LTSteve

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think Chip is old enough to speak for himself, but it seems to me that Chip is getting his masters to enhance his life and experience, not to get a job. I guess I was lucky; cleaned bathrooms during the night for about 18 months during my undergraduate, until I got a better job, but I went for what I was passionate about, the scholarship later on, and the jobs, came as a result of loving my major. I guess I was lucky...

i was not speaking of Chip's prospects. i was addressing the youngster. there will be any number of answers to the question of getting a university education, but my instincts tell me that if you have an engineering degree from Stanford, you might stand a better chance of getting your feet into the door than if you have one from UASD.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I never said anything about Fordham, my fren.

are you ok, Chip? i know you did not say anything about Fordham. i did. you said something about being bitter. i would take my Fordham sheepskin over your PUCMM seven days a week, and twice on Sundays.

jafo

Dec 16, 2006
You sound like a smart young man.

There is much more to college , than just the education.
You can build contacts , thru community service and volunteer organizations.
As well as fellow students.

The professors you meet , will have contacts.
Businesses will actively seek out intelligent driven young men and women.
Who are well rounded , that think beyond just today.

Put your all into it and it will pay you tremendous dividends in the future.

Do you think PUCMM or Uttesa is going to provide that ?
I think you will need very well connected family to secure a good future in the DR.

I wish you luck in your decision.

Just remember that if you think small , you will live in a small world.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You sound like a smart young man.

There is much more to college , than just the education.
You can build contacts , thru community service and volunteer organizations.
As well as fellow students.

The professors you meet , will have contacts.
Businesses will actively seek out intelligent driven young men and women.
Who are well rounded , that think beyond just today.

Put your all into it and it will pay you tremendous dividends in the future.

Do you think PUCMM or Uttesa is going to provide that ?
I think you will need very well connected family to secure a good future in the DR.

I wish you luck in your decision.

Just remember that if you think small , you will live in a small world.

PUCMM and UTESA might help him if he chooses to stay in the DR. if things force him to move to the States, a degree from a local university here will have about as much use there as a recipe for arroz con dulce.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A.-- U.S.A. -- U.S.A. -- U.S.A.

You like the D.R., go get your american university education, make a successful career change the world and then come back and retire here......

g'luck!