Sick of the snow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktleggz

Feb 24, 2006
sick of this thread

OK, so now I'm basically being told I'm useless and I'm going to get pregnant and have to come home....none of you know a thing about me! I'm extremely offended and I've had enough of all this BS. :angry:

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
ktleggz, ignore them, they are jaded fools. They have seen their share of people making a mess of things down here, sure, but if you think like them you will be old and sour before you're thirty. You wont make life threatening mistakes down here any more than you would in other places. Get some Spanish, and find the people on here who will give you sound advice -- Chris, Chiri, Hillbilly (who will be a bit rough but sensible), drbill, a few others.

Come down for a visit, look around, dont make any hasty decisions, make friends. (avoid the sankies). You will be ok.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Amen to all that!

macocael said:
ktleggz, ignore them, they are jaded fools. They have seen their share of people making a mess of things down here, sure, but if you think like them you will be old and sour before you're thirty. You wont make life threatening mistakes down here any more than you would in other places. Get some Spanish, and find the people on here who will give you sound advice -- Chris, Chiri, Hillbilly (who will be a bit rough but sensible), drbill, a few others.

Come down for a visit, look around, dont make any hasty decisions, make friends. (avoid the sankies). You will be ok.

I agree totally. In life, we make decisions that impact us forever. If this move is something that you've though about for some time and is not a spur-of-the-moment thing driven by present weather, I say, go for it!
If you don't go, you may regret it for the rest of your life. this is one of those " what if ?" questions you'll ponder forever. But......
Plan it well & work your plan. Don't go there assuming things will go your way. It never happens! You must have a "contingency" plan in case of unpleasant eventualities. Such as losing your wallet and/or passport. Also be careful whom you associate with. Be friendly but "reserved".
Now...
There are three "tools" you must have when ready to "take the plunge".
1- You must have, at least, a basic command of Spanish. Believe me, you'll need it!
2- You must have enough cash to last you the length of your stay. Better to make contact with Hillbilly in Santiago & ask about hotel rates, or, preferably, to stay with a family that'll rent you a room. Figure in spending about $20US per day.
3-Time. You must give yourself enough of it. To really get to know the DR, two or three weeks ain't gonna do it. I'd say stay, at least, two months....Only then will you be able to ascertain with a high degree of certainty whether "the Dominican" is where you want grow roots....or not. Enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

carls

Feb 28, 2006
if you want to come to Santo Domingo and you speak english don't worry and just do it. if you come I can asure you that you might find job in short time because of your english;for example there are many hotels in front of Santo Domingo shores where you can turn to in order to get a job,there are many of call centers where you can apply and earn some money for speak english;a beach village(Juandollio) is closed to santo Domingo where you can look for a job in their resorts.I addition you will find quickly many friends because dominican people love a lot the oversea person and you will find people that will introduce you with the country life quickly;so don't worry,if you want to comes whatever in this forums will help you.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
carls said:
if you want to come to Santo Domingo and you speak english don't worry and just do it. if you come I can asure you that you might find job in short time because of your english;for example there are many hotels in front of Santo Domingo shores where you can turn to in order to get a job,there are many of call centers where you can apply and earn some money for speak english;a beach village(Juandollio) is closed to santo Domingo where you can look for a job in their resorts.I addition you will find quickly many friends because dominican people love a lot the oversea person and you will find people that will introduce you with the country life quickly;so don't worry,if you want to comes whatever in this forums will help you.
Please advise us what experience you base your "wise" advice on.:rolleyes:
I think that the OP will find it all inaccurate.

Sep 19, 2005
The problem I see here, is the OP really has a bad plan.....now just because she WANTS to do it does not in any way shape or form give any merit to the idea.....the idea is either a good one , a so so one or maybe a bad one... then , agaim it could be a TERRIBLE idea.

whats the correct answer?.....if it is a TERRIBLE idea, with a very very good chance of ending up making the OP miserable beyond belief.. then the correct reply is:

ITS A TERRIBLE IDEA!!!!!

not: give it a shot, you will learn... go for it....take a chance... in my mind that is bad advice for something like this.

it is probably good advice for trying a new route to work at , from home...

or eating at a new resturant one day.....BUT MOVING to the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC.....is not something to be taken lightly.

I can see some people really rub the salt into a wound....but when someone posts its a bad idea....thats an opinion thats needs to be considered just as much as the one that says:. hey if you want to , give it a shot?

err on the side of caution in a case like this.

bob

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Ay Bob, none of this is written in stone. She is 25 for crissakes! If you dont have adventures when you are 25, when will you find the time? The move neednt be permanent, it can last for as long as she likes, and if it doesnt work out, what is the harm? All this gloom and doom. Good heavens. If she is moving, lock stock and barrel, that is admittedly a big step -- but how much stuff could a 25yr old own? I dont think we are talking about moving the contents of a house down here.

You are right, though, Bob, the OP has a bad plan, or rather, no plan at all. It is pretty vague. Thing to do of course is just visit, check the place out, get to know it over the course of a few months, and then make some decisions when the time is right.

Sep 19, 2005
actually I looked at my post more as a remark that SOMETIMES the answer is BAD...not so much that she has a bad plan....which she kinda does.

it is the fact that there are times when the truth is ugly and harsh... and when someone says so... the OP shouldnt be offended or hurt....unless they had to make personal digs in addition to offering the harsh facts

bob

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The problem is that everyone gets so involved in other things that we forget to answer the real questions.

Here's the reality, a decent roof over your head will cost you about 5000 pesos and if you are lucky enough to find a job right away you will be making about 6000 pesos a month, mas o menos

So better bring some money with you to get you started for a few months.

Everything is great on vacation but reality is a little different.

ktleggz

Feb 24, 2006
I definately want to get out and experience life before I get too tied down! I also never said it was a permanent move. It could always turn into one, you never know. I have health problems that my doctor said could be alieviated by moving to a warmer climate. I'm just looking into it.

And I'm definately not going down there expecting life to run smoothly, I know things get messed up. I will have a backup plan and funds. And as long as I have a good time, relax and feel good about what I'm doing, where's the harm in trying? I just asked for some advice, I didn't mean to start a big ugly debate.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi ktleggz, you're young, you have no dependents, so, if you have a backup plan, why not. The old fogies on here are all so old, they forget what it is to be young, to live, to take risks...

Keep in mind it is not easy to find a job here and if you do, it will be at rock bottom wages.

ktleggz

Feb 24, 2006
I already have a couple ideas for jobs. I've been in contact with a few of the nicer people in this forum and they've steered me in the right direction. As long as I plan ahead and think things through, I'll be fine.

Thanks for the positive words Chris!

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
Pardon me, bob, you are right. Anyway, as you say, harsh truth is fine, and is pretty much par for the course for majority of people who live here. Personal digs are out of bounds,though.

Sep 19, 2005
ktleggz said:
I already have a couple ideas for jobs. I've been in contact with a few of the nicer people in this forum and they've steered me in the right direction. As long as I plan ahead and think things through, I'll be fine.

Thanks for the positive words Chris!

I wonder if you are saying that because some people gave advice...you didnt like, that they are not nice..... they are not nessecarily a function of each other!!!!!!

take all the advice and store it...you can go ahead and forget the snide remarks some make....but dont dispose of any of the advice....

there is a high rate of prostitution in young women in the DR...one reason is that there are not many jobs for women that age, or with little work experience. These women CANT find jobs...sure some dont want to ....

think about who will help you when you hit "hard" times....ffiends or family down there?

I think a person going to live down there and seeking employments...needs niche to get their foot in....

I paid a man to scrape and paint the front of a house and he worked for 8 hours and made 200 pesos....less than $7!!!!!

he was looking for work!...he NEEDED work!!!!

I wish you the best of luck.....

hey i watched my son hatch 10 different dream-scheme jobs after he left the navy.....It all sounded good TO HIM, IN HIS MIND....after a few attempts, i let him find out the hard way each time.... and stayed his friend..........because telling him how bad an idea it was, made him think I was a bad person...just like you do!

bob

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Chris said:
The old fogies on here are all so old, they forget what it is to be young, to live, to take risks...
Or have seen the tragedies that have resulted.

Flamingojohn

Nov 11, 2005
The Sky is Falling!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! I can't believe any "foreigner" is still alive in the Dominican Republic- Republica Dominicana- Dominican- DR. That was exhausting! I am a stupid United Statesian that has somehow managed to stay alive in the DR for 8 months now after never having set foot on this island before I came in a move. Sure, I already had a job, so I had a headstart. It almost seems like some of you are wanting to scare people off so they do not "steal" your "Carribean paradise" from you. There is plenty of beach space- if you need to know of a few more isolated spots I will be happy to help you with my limited knowledge.
ktleggz is looking for the adventure, seeking life's journey. I never heard her say she was escaping the rest of the world forever to live in a hut on the beach. Jobs for English speakers are PLENTIFUL in Santo Domingo and they average around 16,000-20,000 a month based on your knowledge base. I read she has a DEGREE in business and 5 YEARS experience.
I personally speak very little Spanish, have no desire to take a Spanish class, and yet somehow I manage to earn over 200,000 pesos monthly. Yep, I was lucky- I had a job prior to arriving. But, I also read into ktleggz' posts and see that she is not planning on getting on a plane tomorrow with her 2 bags and setting up shop wherever she lands. She IS contacting people about employment opportunities, she IS asking the right questions about where to live, she IS NOT asking where the best corner to stand is to meet the worst Sankie in the DR is, NOR is she asking how she can spend her savings as fast as possible so she can be forced to live out of a box on the street corners and be forced into prostitution in order to feed herself and the babies she most assuredly will have immediately upon drinking the water here- oh yeah ktleggz-DON"T DRINK THE WATER!! It won't make you pregnant, but you might think you are because of the "morning sickness" you will most assuredly have.
Give her a break!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
HOWMAR said:
Or have seen the tragedies that have resulted.

Oh geez!, let's not leave our homes, let's barricade ourselves - let's take no risks... Life is for the living Homar. I travelled with almost no support system when I was still in a backpacking mood, my kids travel all over, still backpacking, probably with a better support system than what I had. This person is young and must experience some things. A few months on a Caribbean Island, even if it is a total failure workwise, would be something to remember.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, folks, let's keep this in perspective. Someone is asking for some information. Please answer if you have something to say but keep it fair, in balance and keep the kneejerking responses under control. If you have nothing else to do, read the guidelines to participating in this forum - and keep to those. Hehhe, this goes for me tooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.