Sigh...

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Thanks dv8 for sticking up for me ;)

I think that most people do realize that for me its a problem as indeed I want as a breeder the best for my dogs.

We have a good puppy food for now but the deliveries are not running smoothly which is crucial now because of the two litters, we have a meeting on Wednesday to sort things out and I do hope they come up with a solution.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
oh, for crying out loud, man! what acira wants to do with HER money is her problem, not yours. she is not exactly stealing those last scraps of food from the plates of poor dominicans leaving them in tears. she is a dog breeder and she wants the best for her animals.

I don't think heliace was being mean, but only making an observation about the ironies of life on the island here. We've had ample discussions about poverty in this forum, and all of us, in our own way, do try our best to help those we can.

In the states, I fed my dogs Iams, but that is not available here, and I'm not going to pay to import it. If someone else wants to import it, then my blessings to them.

At any rate...
Acira, speak with your veterinarian and other breeders about what they would suggest. A powdered milk supplement for puppies might be your best bet. I am pm'ing you a U.S. website that I purchase from and have items shipped over via CPS. The site also has helpful suggestions.

And please tell Zhanaveuh that I said "woof". :squareeye

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I don't think heliace was being mean, but only making an observation about the ironies of life on the island here. We've had ample discussions about poverty in this forum, and all of us, in our own way, do try our best to help those we can.

In the states, I fed my dogs Iams, but that is not available here, and I'm not going to pay to import it. If someone else wants to import it, then my blessings to them.

At any rate...
Acira, speak with your veterinarian and other breeders about what they would suggest. A powdered milk supplement for puppies might be your best bet. I am pm'ing you a U.S. website that I purchase from and have items shipped over via CPS. The site also has helpful suggestions.

And please tell Zhanaveuh that I said "woof". :squareeye

Zhanaveuh (short Zhana) says Thank You ;)

DSCF4295.jpg

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Malinois ??

Very cute.... aren't all puppies??

You'll be full of cute.... you could have 15-20 --- right?

WW

12 Malinois pups, correct. Two males and 10 females.
Expected litter of Australian Shepherds in the coming day's...not a clue how much puppies that will be but I am very curious to which colors they will be, everything is possible from blue merle to red bi/tri to tri color and a slight chance (tiny tiny) for a solid red one...come on Flash! :)

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Wow! Is,nt life funny? People are eating mud cookies and Purina is,nt good enough for dogs...makes you wonder eh?

What the hell, one of those ridicilous answers, once again... I'm not eating mud cookies, and I'm sure you are not either... and I see no reason why we should...

We feed our dogs premium dogfood, and puppyfood, as, we, as responsable dog-breeders want to supply our customers with top notch dogs...

High quality Puppy food is vital for further development in live...(calcium, vitamins, etc...)

These same dogs, who do not eat mudcakes, but ridiculously expensive dogfood, are also the dogs which are trained to be SAR-dogs and can be asked for by the military, the police and civil defence, and this for free... and believe me that they could not do this job otherwise...

And furthermore, please, next time, inquire first before you start throwing mud...:tired:

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
Wow! Is,nt life funny? People are eating mud cookies and Purina is,nt good enough for dogs...makes you wonder eh?

Gary:

You have come a long way since juggling Pedro Clisante Putas to marrying one.

I guess Canine dietary expertise comes in handy when you need to throw off the scent of your cargo "Ace"?

L V

Reactions: heliace

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
aaaaaa! this is mega cute!
how do you know which one is which? they all kinda look alike...

WHAT? I'm aghast. ;)

To explain: some people are dog lovers, and then there is a small minority who are way over the top. I include myself in the latter. I have even been known to sleep on the floor so that a suffering dog could have the comfortable bed to herself.

Even at this early an age, there are subtle differences in appearance and behavior, and those of us who are over the top can pick up on those differences.

Zhana is beautiful.

And belgiank, please don't get terribly defensive. As I said previously, I think heliace was just making an observation. In truth, it is a sad irony of life that we are able to have a conversation on wanting the best food for our animals while, only a few hundred miles away, children do not have enough to eat. There are so many sad reasons for that, far too many to go into in this or any forum thread.

Enjoy the pups and the mayhem they have brought into your life. They are beautiful, and let us hope that one of them will one day bring companionship and security to the man or woman who will cure world hunger.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
to be honest, dv8, we can indeed differentiate between all the puppies...

yes, they are all ugly and cute at the same time, but they do have markings already, and even character displays which differentiate them...

and we are very excited as we are quite sure one of the males, will have longer hair, which is a rare but excisting gen in our lines... (those longer haired ones make gorgeous-looking dogs, and for one reason or another they are always excellent dogs)....

Gizmo002.jpg

this one is Gizmo, now excelling in Belgian Field Work...

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
this one is Gizmo, now excelling in Belgian Field Work...

What a beautiful animal. I'm partial to labrador retrievers myself, but I do love that picture. The eyes (or eye) speaks volumes of the animal's soul.

I'm interested to how well you cope when the aussies arrive. I understand they are quite intelligent dogs, and I'm wondering if you and Acira can hold your own against the pack. (Granted, I don't know you, so I'm projecting my own insecurities.)

mrp

Jul 7, 2008
Good puppy and dog food at a reasonable price!!!

If you want a great puppy and dog food at a reasonable price, buy it at Price Mart in bulk. It is the Kirkland (Costco) brand. It won't empty your bank account at about $20.00 pesos a pound, and to me it's the best available for the money. If you don't have a membership, they run about RD$ 850.0 and from there you are good to go for the year.:glasses:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Are there any legit scientific studies on dog/puppy nutrition that demonstrate which is better, or is it all just subjective?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As in humans, every dog is different.... likes/dislikes, allergies.... toying with the food can solve some of these problems, but its Hit or Miss.

The raw food route seems to be the best

Go back and re-read Acira's post about the offal she fed her puppies in Belgium..... worth the read... she really doesn't need the feeding education lecture:glasses:

Unless you get that raw stuff from the abbotoir/slaughterhouse, it can be costly.

A Playero/Nacional chicken per dog per day = $$$$$ pesos !

WW

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yes indeed there are studies enough around to explain you what the differences can be between a bulk in house brand and a premium or super premium dog food.
I have read them all, I spoke to many vets including professors at Universities and they all say the same. If you want the best for your dog...read the labels at the bag, see how the balance is between prote?ns/fat, is the starch product based on corn or a much better alternative rice (brown rice is still better), are the minerals balanced (phosphor, calcium, sulfate, etc...) and are the added vitamins artificial or coming from a natural source and the most important, what is the meaning of the "flesh" or "fish" in the kibble.
For me personally, is there isn't enough written explanation on the bag on how its composed, I simply do not buy it.

Add that up and a premium food should have its flesh or fish content coming from real flesh and fish and not of the bones, the starch should not be corn but rice, the vitamins and vitamin E to preserve should come from natural sources and the balance of the minerals should be good and preferably the kibble should have some additional herbes thrown in such as parsley, garlic, moon seed sometimes etc...
This food does indeed come not cheap but it guarantees you a dog who has a shinny coat, a good working digestive system, a good immune working system (my dogs don't even get flees and ticks) and a happy dog with tons of energy.

I see a lot of dogs here that have absolutely no energy at all, young dogs and I can only say from my experience that that comes from the lack of a descent dog food. Bulk in house brands are so heavy for a dog to digest that they don't have any energy left to do something else anymore.

The alternative is switching to raw (Barfen), its a proven system, needs a lot of calculation per dog a few times in his life to assemble the correct diet but then your off (Barfen diet does not work per day but uses a calculated diet that is spread over 5 to 6 weeks to ensure that the dog gets everything he needs in that period)
Downside of this diet is that for here its impossible to get enough variety in the diet, essential additives are not available or I haven't found them yet and you have to have a big freezer to put all that stuff in.

Eitherway, for now I am giving the dogs and the pups the best available dry dog food here available and maybe in the future I will switch again for all dogs to raw, I do it now occasionally for one or two dogs for various reasons.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
What a beautiful animal. I'm partial to labrador retrievers myself, but I do love that picture. The eyes (or eye) speaks volumes of the animal's soul.

I'm interested to how well you cope when the aussies arrive. I understand they are quite intelligent dogs, and I'm wondering if you and Acira can hold your own against the pack. (Granted, I don't know you, so I'm projecting my own insecurities.)

Thats quite simple, we have a large pack with an alpha female and an alpha male but when it comes to listening, Belgiank and I are the alpha's and thats how it works (simply explained of course, its more complicated then that).

Indeed, aussies are very intelligent but are also very attached to humans (more still then any other dog I met). You don't choose an aussie but the aussie chooses you is a saying that is really true ;)