Slum areas in Santo Domingo...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Point of order: is this subject suddenly verboten on DR1 or is it a Living Forum rule?

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
A Living Forum Rule.

Take 1 part...
Slum areas in Santo Domingo....

Add in....
References to certain types of working class people.

and it =
A Thread that could wind up in the M F M, V F V, Forum, real easy.

I have no problem with that.

I have no issue with the topic, as it was asked.
I know from experience, that we could talk about visiting Slum Area's, or Certain Barrio's, with no problem.

And I have no problem, moving this South, if the poster's wanted to take the discussion in that direction.

So I put the warning up.
But keep the references to working girls and the likes, to a minimum.

I'm going back to edit the stuff out of the posts.
And if you feel the need to go in that direction, we have other Forums for you to post in.
The last line says it all.

I have 2 homes, my self.
1 in Santo Domingo, in the El Million, area.
1 in Barrio China, Haina.

I prefer to live in Barrio China. Some would call it a slum, compared to what they are used to. I think it's a great little community, were I know most of my neighbor?s, by 1st name.

I've had guest, from DR1 come out on occasion, and have walked them thru Haina by day, and partied in the local discos at night, with no problems.

I will have to dig up the photos, of the night the Gringa's took over the discos
Starting at Ram?n, Power Disco, going thru them all, out till 4am, with a bevy of beauties, and a whole Army of Tiger's wanting to be THE ONE.

I could also talk about an area called GRINGO with a great baseball field, beautiful by day, deadly by night.

Or Casa Blanca, just up the road from the entrance of the Haina Port. A real Casa de Puta, filled with Prostitutes, Moto-Concho drivers and drunken sailors, ( The Orientals are the funniest to watch).

But that would not be a discussion I would have in the Living Forum.

Ok??

So yes, this Forum has certian rules.

PM or E-mail me, if you want to continue this discussion

Thanks
Tim H.
:smoke:

Last edited:

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Hillbilly said:
But isn't Villa Mella where the Congos are? This is a UNESCO Cultural Landmark and their traditions go back hundreds of years.

I would certainly think that daytime travel to these areas would be reasonably safe, unless you are (a) Walking down the street shivering like a wet puppy,(b) Dressed is shorts-a sure sign you are gay and on the prowl-especially in the these neighborhoods or (c) wearing your Rolex Presidential, your Gucci shades and the Armani slacks and the big, thick, gold chain with your name on it (and not packing a barely hidden Glock):D.

FYI Villa Mella is rarely mentioned in the papers as a gang infested place, and taking gifts to families is always a good "in" . It will be an interesting experience. Ask about Mr. Brazoban-he is the leader of the Congos, right there by the park..

HB :D:D

Exactly what or whom is a"congo"?

AlfromTexas

Apr 13, 2004
Berzin said:
While i was in Santo Domingo during Christmas I was talked out of travelling to Villa Mella to meet my girlfriends' parents (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxEdited by Tim H.). by the hotel clerk. He said it was too dangerous, especially walking around with a pretty dominican girl-I would stand out too much and would have become an obvious mark.

Now I don't know the capital that well, but from what I gather Villa Mella is to the norh if you are travelling from the Colonial Zone. There was another slum that I was warned against going to(seems all my girlfriends live in bad neighborhoods) which was northwest from the Colonial Zone on the western side of the Ozama river but I do not remember the name of this particular barrio. So here are my 2 questions-

1) Is there anywhere I can find a map of Santo Domingo here in New York City so that getting around won't be such a hassle?

2) Has anyone ever been to any of these slum areas in Santo Domingo? I just want to know a little bit more about some of these places aside from "Don't go There!!

The reasons?-Well, I may wind up having to visit a few of these neighborhoods that are off the beaten track and I want to know if it really is not worth the potential risk. I have a few friends that want to drop stuff off to their families and I may be amenable to doing them the favor seeing as I go there often. And of course I may want to visit a girl or two(during the daytime, of course). If it helps any I speak fluent spanish, so I figured I may not be seen as a total gringo. And yes I will dress down for the event.
Thanks in advance.

email me at and I will send you a map
Al

Last edited by a moderator:

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
I too have been to Buenos Aires Herrera several times-sometimes alone sometimes with a friend from Sto. Dom. to visit his family and friends. (Not my sanky thank you).

I never felt in danger - even when I go there by myself. There's always someone waiting for me, and it was more like I was an unusual event - blonde chick dancing merengue in the kitchen - drinking the great spicy tea from the friendliest old woman who was very happy that I liked it - the shoe shine boys on the corner smiling - as other posters have stated - a lot of it is attitude and your posture, and a show of respect. This is the right advice when going anywhere new.

The particular street I go to was once unpaved, but is now a smooth blacktop - the family has extended the house by ad ding an upper floor, and although there was still no running water - a toilet and shower of sorts were rigged in the small cement room out back. The days I spent there will remain etched in my memory forever, as some of the best I have had in the country.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Exactly what or whom is a"congo"?

'Congo' is used to refer to drums, or a drum, sometimes called 'tumbadora'. In the Deep South of the DR, a cong? or congoses (plural) is used to refer to a backwards (illiterate...) Haitian agricultural peasant, for example, 'anoche unos congoses me robaron varias matas de yuca y un chivo'.