Smart "Smart" meters

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes it is a "smart" smart meter, China made. The same person here told me the meter they installed him was a Chinese crap. Seems like it's the same meter.

The meters I have that were installed some months ago are exactly the same. OH NO!. They are SMART?! Say it isn't so.

I did not notice any significant changes in my billing since they were installed. So far.

Ringo, do you have the same meter as belgiank and me?

UPDATE: My wife talked to the Edenorte Meter Reader yesterday and warned him to read it correctly. If it is a smart meter, I guess Edenorte is currently not smart enough to read it remotely. My new meters were installed back on June 21, 2012 and I had already been taking periodic meter readings myself well before that date.

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Install a parallel meter, the law does not prohibit it
SENSUS, WATTHOUR METER (KWH) ICON, TYPE iSAI, 240 VOLTS, FM2S, 200 AMPS, 4 LUGS | eBay
CENTRON Electric 240v WATTHOUR House METER & NEW 100amp SOCKET + Adaptors | eBay

or just search for "watthour meter" on ebay

Then, you can be certain whether your smart "smart" meter is really a smart meter or just a smarta$$ meter

I don't want to appear pedantic, but just to ensure you get a correct reading, the second meter should be installed in series, not parallel.

Parallel reads voltage, series reads current.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
No I don't think that I have the same meter but I don't have the name of the manufacturer with me at this time.

Funny thing as I read... I'm SOOOO tired of doing this... as I read my meter today. Ummmm... It went back... it rolled back...it gave me kwh's...

I stood for several cycles to read it and checked my previous figures... over and over.

The meter gave me 10 kwh's. Ya... can you believe that?

I'm on a little DR1 vacation... so will not be responding much. OH... talked to our lawyer today.

Later.

Feb 7, 2007
I don't want to appear pedantic, but just to ensure you get a correct reading, the second meter should be installed in series, not parallel.

Parallel reads voltage, series reads current.

OK I better use word "simultaneous", I don't know if it should be installed parallel or in series. I guess it would be -->IN LINE --> EDE METER --> OUT LINE --> 2ND METER --> BREAKERS

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
OK I better use word "simultaneous", I don't know if it should be installed parallel or in series. I guess it would be -->IN LINE --> EDE METER --> OUT LINE --> 2ND METER --> BREAKERS

Yes that would work because everything from the EDE METER OUT LINE is yours and you can do what you want with it. So installing your own calibrated meter would give you an idea of how much EDE is ripping you off.

Getting them to admit to it and resolving it, is another thing!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If the meters are like those in Florida, they transmit a signal that is picked up by a Meter reader in a vehicle as he passes along the street. The range is very limited. They use a special receiver to record the meter readings. We had one of those meters in Florida and I observed it at my place when the guy was driving through. we were in the country so he had an outside antenna so he could read from a longer distance (Large property sites). I talked to the guy and he showed me the equipment he uses to read the meters.

Limited transmit range, not possible that they transmit through transformers and high voltage lines back to the electric company offices.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the meters are like those in Florida, they transmit a signal that is picked up by a Meter reader in a vehicle as he passes along the street. The range is very limited. They use a special receiver to record the meter readings. We had one of those meters in Florida and I observed it at my place when the guy was driving through. we were in the country so he had an outside antenna so he could read from a longer distance (Large property sites). I talked to the guy and he showed me the equipment he uses to read the meters.

Limited transmit range, not possible that they transmit through transformers and high voltage lines back to the electric company offices.

The Smart readers we have been talking about can be read over the power lines at the power company office. Nobody needs to be near the meters we are talking about (which are also used in many places in the USA). They are essentially a "network connected" device using a power line communications scheme. With this type of meter than can check our power consumption at any time creating a power signature. This can indicate what types of appliance and lights you are likely to be using. Even to the point of helping to catch those growing marijuana. Some people consider this an invasion of privacy.

If people are still coming to physically read my meters, Rubio Higuey, I suspect they are not smart meters. There is no outward indication that they are, but I could be wrong. I did have the brilliant idea to ask Edenorte if they were indeed smart meters, but I am not sure they would know.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The Smart readers we have been talking about can be read over the power lines at the power company office.

Sounds like "Star Trek" technology to me.

There is a plethora of technical information to be found on the web and YouTube regarding how the Meters work and the exact levels of RF radiation they are emitting. In brief, the Smart Meter continually communicates information regarding your energy usage back to the utility company. This information is transmitted wirelessly in the form of RF or radiowave frequencies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not Star Trek , rather Echelon Technologiy for Power Line Communications

Sounds like "Star Trek" technology to me.

Of course some smart meters could be wireless, but Echelon technology is a company that pioneered communications using transmission lines.

"Power Line Communications (PLC)

Power line communications (PLC) is a critical energy control networking technology for Smart Grid, Smart Cities, and Smart Buildings applications. PLC has many advantages over other wired and wireless communication methods. However, PLC technology must overcome some significant technical challenges to be practical. Echelon’s experience and unique innovations allow us to offer the world’s most proven, open standard, and multi-application PLC technology. "

When I was doing design work on a Smart Home project we looked at Echelon as one method to control all the appliances, lighting and security systems within a home. Think of it as a more sophisticated version of X10 products. See:

Smart Metering