so expensive ... worthy? (I enclose prices Bav vs SD)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, and in the rare case it does not come cheaper you can still be sure that you get newer (technology i.e.) or better stuff / quality for your bucks...

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The strange but true bottom line about getting items shipped to you from the US, at least for using TranxExpress, is that it is almost always cheaper than buying locally. Belgiank points out just another example of how local prices don't make sense.

Think about it. Why should it be cheaper for you to import just two of anything than to purchase it locally?

Can you give some more info on tranxexpress?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can you give some more info on tranxexpress?

You can set up an account either on line or at a Western Union/Vimenca office to start having packages shipped via Florida to the DR. They will give you the address in Doral, FL that will include your individual account number. The account for packages is free, unlike other shippers.

http://secure2.transexpress.com/usa/

Vimenpaq
Primary Email:
ydejesus@vimenca.com

800-325-0008 Trans Express in FL

809-200-1163 Vimenca in DR

809-532-7388 Vimenca in DR

(809) 571-3800 SOSUA
Employer:
Trans Express, Inc./Vimenpaq
Work address:
7801 NW 37TH Street Doral, FL US 33166-6503
TransExpress - International On-line Purchases Delivery Service
Notes:
Trans Express is US company that works with Vimenca. TransExpress does not know the duty/taxes, that is Vimenca's Job.

When you do order something, be sure to use their web site to notify them of a shipment. It is best to use the website to send them a copy of the invoice, especially on items under $200 so you are sure not to be charged any duty for them. Then you can track the delivery process on line. Once the item arrives in FL, it is normally in Sosua two days later. I don't think anyone else is faster at getting shipments from Fl to the DR.

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
thanks for the info. I did not realize vimenpaq qnd tranxexpress were one and the same. I did indeed hear very good things of them

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The DR doesn't have classic wholesale distribution the same way most of us are used to. So the further away from the central warehouse, the more expensive an item may become. Some things in grocery stores in, say, Jarabacoa cost more than similar items in La Sirena in Santiago.

the difference, as explained to me, are transportstion and handling costs.

saso

Dec 11, 2011
right on ,,,, it is torture for me when i have to go to the capital ,,,, and i live 5 min... from veron so it is a bit cheaper than bavaro

May 29, 2006
The cheaper a product or the more perishable, the higher percentage mark-up a vendor is going to want for it. Produce falls under both. When it's cheap, the wholesaler ends up doubling the price just in transport fees. When it's perishable, the vendor has to pay for refrigeration and lost product due to spoilage. Fewer deliveries also means it's harder to keep inventory in stock and less competition from the wholesaler. Everything means higher prices.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You do realize there is a 2 tiered pricing system in place, right? The Dominican price and the higher price for everyone else.

You got THAT right. Even my husband gets hit with the higher price, he says they can tell he's from the US by his clothes/shoes/etc., and that's when I'm not with him. If we're buying something where the prices are not clearly marked, I stay in the car. His brothers do a lot of the negotiating for us for so many different things. We just (finally!) got the title for our Ocoa property, you wouldn't believe the propinas that had to be paid just to get people to do their jobs - his brother took care of it for us, we would have paid double or triple.

Last trip he talked to a guy who drives a huge tractor for the government - he's a neighbor - and he asked what it would cost for him to come and plow a section of our land. He told him what the office charged. So we drove to the office to make the arrangements. I stayed in the car. Guy in the office wanted more than double what the driver said was the going rate. My husband walked out.

Exasperating. Next time we'll send our caretaker in. Live and learn.