So what would you do??

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Well done Matilda. The thought however that kept on going through my head whilst reading the thread was why on earth was the name and address of the doctor who refused to help not published so that reasoning people could boycott the uncaring creature breaking his Hippocratic oath. I am greatly in favour of the doctrine of naming and shaming.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
he was a doctor in local private clinic which is like 2 mins walk away. I called clinic and asked if someone could help us and they said they didn't do births. I said fine but a doctor should have been trained in that and asked to speak to him or her as wanted to know how I checked if breech or not, and how long apart contractions should be when i needed to boil water etc. And what the hell I needed boiling water for??? He told me to go to locall hospital and I explained not an option and I asked how much for him to come and help. His answer was that he did not help Haitians. In the end he told me birthing position and put phone down.

matilda

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
the right thing...

Great job to the two of you... you did the right humanitarian thing, however, I am discovering that you really need to think out all the angles before you act.

Over thinking it, you'll always have regrets. This is not like it is back were I come from, so I would tent to mind my own business. Sorry, that's not meant to sound harsh.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Matilda i like to think i know you quite well, and you and i both know that even if there was a risk of going to prison or even dying to help another person out, whether it be a birth or not you will do it!

Helping anyone out with anything these days dominican, haitian or otherwise usually means getting burned in one way or another, but most of us will keep commiting the same mistakes.

I am not saying what you did was right or wrong, but i certainly like to think that most of us dont turn a blind eye and usually jump in from a great height to help someone in need.

I cant say for sure but i think you would rather go to prison for helping and in your heart and soul know you are a good person who helped without thinking of themselves and sleep soundly in your cell than not help and have the death of a child or a mother on your consience and lay in your comfy home wide awake at night.

Your husband is right in theory, but when it comes down to it us girls tend to think less black and white.

You are amazing, kind and have b***s bigger than any man i have ever met in my life! I hope the local community are as grateful to have you in their lives as i am to have you in mine you little warrior!

P.S defo go for some kind of widwife qualification or the equivelent of the first aid courses in the UK (where apparently if you are ever in a situation like that and do not help they can sue you).

Reactions: Matilda

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I think Matilda knows better then to try to sue the doctor who didn't want to help. He is likely to get revenge then on the fact that Matilda has delivered a baby without the necessary "qualifications"...I think :ermm:

btw...helping delivering a baby when in distress situation is never considered as a "crime" not even in first world countries.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well this should be interesting. Just a bit more background. The mother went to the local public hospital to try and register the birth. I am not sure how easy it will be as she is an illegal Haitian. She was in Haiti when the earthquake struck and her husband and child were killed. As she was pregnant the authorities brought her here. She had nothing including no papers. I have not yet worked out how she ended up in Juan Dolio and I am not sure whether she will be allowed to have a birth certificate as they keep changing the rules.

Anyway, the hospital told her to get a letter from the midwife with details of the birth. So I have done her one. Now waiting to see if am arrested for practising without a licence!!

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
Well this should be interesting. Just a bit more background. The mother went to the local public hospital to try and register the birth. I am not sure how easy it will be as she is an illegal Haitian. She was in Haiti when the earthquake struck and her husband and child were killed. As she was pregnant the authorities brought her here. She had nothing including no papers. I have not yet worked out how she ended up in Juan Dolio and I am not sure whether she will be allowed to have a birth certificate as they keep changing the rules.

Anyway, the hospital told her to get a letter from the midwife with details of the birth. So I have done her one. Now waiting to see if am arrested for practising without a licence!!

Matilda

Never a dull moment in the DR.

Lindsey

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
Matilda, after re-reading your introductory paragraph I can't see where you did any actions that could be "liable" - you were not acting in any "professional manner" or "providing services in lieu of payment" - so in my opinion you would be covered by "Good Samaritan Act" - or at least that would be the case in the US. I'm a nurse practitioner (geriatrics) and I would hesitate to do anything more than give advice. Like others have said, people have been having babies for eons without a licensed professionals help......that said, i would have done exactly as you did - help the lady out in her time of need.

Karlheinz