So you like cranberry juice?

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
there is some confusion here regarding this flower. the flor de Jamaica that the wiki article describes is not the regular hibiscus plant that we see normally. it comes from a rather small shrub, and flowers mostly at christmas time. the parts that are used to make the tea surround a hard pod, filled with small seeds. the bright red part is what is used to make the drink. i have actually seen it being sold in packages in La Sirena. i have never seen a flor de Jamaica shrub in the DR. in the british caribbean, it goes by the name SORREL.

I'm not sure I've seen a shrub but since I can get about a pound of it (shopping bag size) for only 3$, I'd assume it grows here since otherwise the price would be much higher. If you want to buy it yourself at this price, you need to find productos maria (tortilla makers) in Santiago on Avenida Texas, the store looks like a house and they sell all types of mexican products. They are one of the only sources in the DR to get masa de harina and maseca (raw materials to making homemade tortillas) , and since jamaica is a staple beverage in mexico, I believe they have found a source in the DR for the flowers. Anyway, here's to hoping the reduces blood pressure thing works!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Agua de Jamaica is a very popular drink in Mexico and yes it does taste a bit like Cranberry juice. I've never had it or seen it made in The DR. I also wondered if it was made from the same Hibiscus flower we have growing all over the place in The DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"LT", you are refering to:
"Mama Juana", the Dominican "Spiced "Booze".
However, keep "Mama Wanna" in your vocabulary, "Mama", Might "Wanna"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
flor_de_jamaica.jpg

hibiscus sabdariffa

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from what i can see in youtube videos and online you can use various types of hibiscus. it may be possible to use the one we see everywhere on a daily basis. i'm gonna give it a go. not sure there are many flowers after the period of rain but nicking them off my german neighbours is totally gratis :)

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
you can also use the flower without the stamen of the red hibiscus that grows here but may not be quite the same taste and colour- you wont poison yourself anyway lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yeah, but cranberry juice is so good for your digestive/urinary tract. Any health benefits to hibiscus?