Solar Pool Cover

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
JD
People use large black tubing....
they run all or some of the water through it...
on the garage roof, poolhouse whatever.
Works like a dream - solar heat the pool for little cost - zero cost of operation
The black tubing requires a small pump. If the pump is too big (higher flow rates) the water in the tube doesn't get warm enough.

How much it warms the pool water depends on the pool capacity vs. tubing capacity.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Nah, you "T" it off from your pump output so you can control the flow through the pipe. You also have to have a coil of tubing, not just a straight shot across the roof.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We use our pool about 5 times a week if not too cold. I've looked at solar pool covers on Amazon but reading the comments it appears that most don't last more then 2 seasons. Plus having to take it off and on 5 times a week just does not have me in a hurry to order one. I also looked at the black tubing heaters but comments didn't show them to be very well built either. Making my own, as mentioned above is an option.... sort of/maybe depending on how I feel about them on my pool deck that would really change our view.

We did use a medium size on demand domestic hot water heater, LPG, that lasted 3 winters with very few problems. We just T'ed off the main after the filter and right back into it with a couple of valves. Pool pump was 3/4 HP and don't recall if I did some bypass system or not so as not to over pressure the heater. LPG tank outside and heater inside the pool room that has cement block vents. Worked OK and could use the pool all winter.

When that started leaking we bought a regular pool heater that was much larger so put that outside but in a protected/covered area next to the pool room and plumbed pretty much the same way but could use that regular sized pool tubing. It was automatic o needed electric. Also went from a tall torpedo tank to a large fat tank for the LPG. The tank lasted about 2 months but the pool was almost at hot tube heat.... as my wife wanted. lol. Only two seasons with that and could not get it to stay lit and no one know how to fix it. Not a cheap unit. I'm thinking of getting it out from where ever I stored it and give it another try. (lots of luck with that.)

I don't have any roof area that would work since I have my elec. solar panels taking up all the good sun spots. So maybe going back to the on demand heater might be an option but we rebuilt the pool and now use a 1.75 HP pump so have to work out the plumbing.

So those are my experiences that still not much closer to solving the problem. Good Luck!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We are sneaking up on the idea to install a large magnifying glass over the pool....

I rarely find it too cool - my pool - fresh, but never cold

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
For the past 4 years, in the winter, we have used a liquid solar blanket. A product you throw into the deep end and it lasts about a month. Before using this, the pool temp could sit well below 80 degrees but, since using this, it has never dipped below 80, often higher - average around 82 or 83. Very comfortable, cheap and easy.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
For the past 4 years, in the winter, we have used a liquid solar blanket. A product you throw into the deep end and it lasts about a month. Before using this, the pool temp could sit well below 80 degrees but, since using this, it has never dipped below 80, often higher - average around 82 or 83. Very comfortable, cheap and easy.

Where did you find/buy this?

Did a little reading and base on your recommendation will give it a try.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's called Ecosvr. PM me if you want further info or to drop by and see it.
We started to use Ecosavr this swimming season. I was skeptical at first, but the evaporation dropped 60-80% immediately (monitored daily), and the pool temp bumped up a couple of degrees (anecdotally, I only checked once in a while). This extended our swimming season by 6 weeks, and reduced water use significantly.

In fact, what I thought was a leak was evaporation. I used to have to add water to the pool every three days because the level would drop 1.5". After Ecosavr, I only had to add water every 5 days for the same drop if the weather was windy (wind pushes the chemical leeward exposing water to the sun), and 7 days if calm.

A weird, unexpected side effect is that dust, small insects, plant debris, etc. that used to sink to the pool bottom requiring vacuuming 2-3 times a week remained on top---I assume because of the thin chemical film---and made for easy skimming. So the pool stayed cleaner. Additionally, the 1 micron "finishing" filter bags I installed on 4 of the 8 water outlets stayed cleaner longer.

I also noticed the need for chlorine was reduced.

Turns out my mother is friends with the chemist who invented it many years ago. The original purpose was to reduce evaporation in large reservoirs.

It works, but not that great a solution for increasing water temp as much as other methods are.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Where did you find/buy this?

Did a little reading and base on your recommendation will give it a try.
I got mine on ebay. Next season I'll not buy the fish, but a larger container of the liquid and just add it manually. I found that for whatever reason sometimes the capillary tube on the fish got clogged and didn't deliver the liquid.

The cost is roughly the same.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We are sneaking up on the idea to install a large magnifying glass over the pool....

I rarely find it too cool - my pool - fresh, but never cold
I researched this, called a Fresnel lens. And doesn't work in a pool.

Here is one of the links I found doing research: Heat a Swimming Pool with a Large Fresnel Lens

I guess there isn't much of a Free Lunch when it comes to pool heating. While some methods work better than others it all goes back to physics and heat transfer. Some large solar systems may add a few extra degrees to the water, unless they follow the sun are not that efficient and can be expensive for the heat increase. Two variable are pool volume and ambient: the more volume, the cooler the more BTUs you'll have to fine. Ours is 10,000 gallons in a much cooler area of the DR and would need a gaggle of BTUs to effect a noticeable change. Yours is smaller in a warmer location, so your success may be better.

If someone is really serious about heating pool water, a good old propane system may provide the best bang for the buck.