solar power - reviews

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Sounds fatastic. We found the 24v fans run better than 12v.

Tom

I run a bar here so I've had plenty of time recently to devote to reading lol.

Thinking of cooling, which is a major power drain here, I'm considering solar attic fans to extract hot air from vaulted spaces. If they can cool attics by up to 50F surely they can help keep living spaces cool too.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The grid tied systems are cheaper because they do not have a battery bank which is a huge cost in the system. Professionals in the DR can get US$100/day for their services.

4,840 watts for $14,935 and that is with an inverter.

4,840 watt Trina Solar Grid Tie Solar Power System

What typically boosts the price in the US is the installation costs which I cannot believe that installers in the DR get $100 USD an hour.

Most US installers try and get 60% of the equipment costs, knowing that the rebates will pay for it.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You are correct, the panels are tax exempt but not the other components.

I'd have Soluz break that down because I have been told that the 16% is not applied on the solar panels if they are made in the USA. (Montero shipping)

So it is hard for me to believe that shipping and customs would be 100%.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
The grid tied systems are cheaper because they do not have a battery bank which is a huge cost in the system. Professionals in the DR can get US$100/day for their services.

Surely you need battery backup for when the grid is down though? We are in the DR after all although, as we all know, the power problems will be sorted "within two years".

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
my very rough calculations based on my usage it would take 24 years to pay for a whole house system, bearing in mind that someone said the panels would need replacing after 10 years and the batteries every 3 years it doesnt seem a viable option at the moment.

Did I read somewhere that you could import solar stuff free of tax or have I imagined it

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
I do not see 10 year panel replacement.

Most warranties are 20 years and some 25/30 years.

What they say is the panels will be at 80% efficient in 20 years and past.

Montero breakdown. So it is only 16% if USA fabricated.

Merchandise arriving to Dominican Customs are subject to pay: Based upon declared value
Gravamen 20%
ITEBIS 16%
If the merchandise is fabricated within the USA or Central America, any of the participating countries of DR-CAFTA, then DR Customs charges only ITEBIS (16%).

The volume of the panels is 50 cu. Ft. @ $10.50 ea cu.ft.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
On energy use I found muffin fans [computer fans 4 inch] are very good and use little energy. lighting they have backup lights now for cars LED a small 12 volt transformer and you have perfect night light also the 3 cell flash lights that they sell here cheap will run beautifully on a cell phone charger for a reading light.

Reactions: mike l

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Yes, panels and windmills

I thought there would be more people that had them - so what about these wind turbines, just how big are they its difficult to tell from the pictures

We have used our panels about nine years at least the first four ones and had two windmills (the other ruined by rayos of thunder) and not so efficients either, but our logic was, that while there is no sun always is windy.

In the first place our calculation was not basing on saving money, it was all convinience. Our house is the last in the grid and ten years ago voltage was about 80-90 V meaning that all type of equipments burned or suffered some how because sometimes it get too high also.
I hate the noise and smell of generator and that is why we ended with panels.
Poolpump is still using edenorte and daily we charge batteries for a while if necessary. Daytime use is only with panels and we have two large fridges with icemakers and I use a lot also electric owen and our gardener use a lot waterpump to water in the garden. Outside lighting (17 units) use 3 to 7 W saving pulps and 2 TVs are on all the evenings and 1 during a day.

Speaking about windmills it is so important to know the speed of the wind in your area (you can find maps) and think carefully if someone might build the high house near you just on direction of winds or you migt have in your garden a tree which might grow up fast and big.
Noise need to consider as well, never install on your roof in the house where you sleep.

USD 25.000 during all these years is quite near about pricing but for us and to our visiting friends it means a lot to have energy all the time (without noise). We have generator backup too but never used it.

I am sure that there are more users of panels but while we had been labled as lunetics (very true), they are silent.

Our company recently installed a system in the Jamao river "Sereno de la Monta?a" eco lodge and trail project. It is a great place to relax and get away from basically everything, and I mean everything. The place is perfect for solar energy as it is located high up in the mountains and it gets an excellent exposure to sun light during the day. This project is part of the Gran Rim Hotel being constructed on the Carretera Turistica close to the Moca town.

We installed a complete off the grid - no electric company has reached the location - to power three cabins with four apts each, an office and common grounds lighting.

Panels are exempt of import duties if they're mfg in the US, not sure about any other countries. We only use Evergreens, BP and Suntech. Warranties are at least 25 years, and as many have mentioned the prices have come down significantly over the last few years.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several places that provide solar installations. However, in our case of 1300 kw/h per month (14000 pesos), we are talking about an investment of over seven years worth of CDEEE bills (14000 x 12 x 7= cost of installation). BUT we are energy hogs, admittedly.
I know Tom F knows what he is talking about and it can be done...

Hb.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, but I don't see any spamming here, so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Some good information...

HB

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I am buying a place with a new solar system recently installed and I'll comment on that after I move in and get experience with it. The neighbor has a three year old windmill. We are on the beach and the windmill is currently rusting and looks about twenty or more years old...not three years old. I am told the windmill is also noisy. The guy I'm buying my place told me he almost bought the windmill but backed out when he saw how fast his neighbors is rusting and also because the company that installed the solar panels told him that the solar panels will last a very long time because it is built to be weather resistant and built to last many years. He was told the windmill does need mantenance while solar panels need much less/nearly none...maybe just whipe down the top of the panel once in a while...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I am buying a place with a new solar system recently installed and I'll comment on that after I move in and get experience with it. The neighbor has a three year old windmill. We are on the beach and the windmill is currently rusting and looks about twenty or more years old...not three years old. I am told the windmill is also noisy. The guy I'm buying my place told me he almost bought the windmill but backed out when he saw how fast his neighbors is rusting and also because the company that installed the solar panels told him that the solar panels will last a very long time because it is built to be weather resistant and built to last many years. He was told the windmill does need mantenance while solar panels need much less/nearly none...maybe just whipe down the top of the panel once in a while...

As long as the seals are good on the panels, you should not have any problems. We did find that systems right on the water, did age much faster due to the salt in the air. It is important to keep them clean.

FYI, windmills are generally used to pump water and do not need to rotate at the same speed as wind turbines, which are used to produce electricity.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
re wind generators, if your in a coastal area it's best to purchase a marinized unit - designed for boats and built to withstand the salt environment. I had a system such as this on my last sailboat where I used 4 deep cycle batteries powered by a combination of a wind generator a two 75 watt solar cells. I did not use AC aboard but these devices generated enough power to keep the batteries charged and then used an inverter for AC powered devices.

JFD

Feb 10, 2010