Solar Power

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Jan, the owner of MAX car wash deals in solar power, 809 571 4001, cel 809 901 0922. Also, the Swiss plumber, Pedro (Swiss) also sells and installs solar power. I think his number is 809 907 5688.
I think that easy power also do solar, 809 571 4036

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
I would really be intereste din knowing where/why does it cost 9K USD (300K pesos) to bring electric power from the street? Maybe the OP can PM me...

Apparently I have to install 2 new poles, I have to buy a transformer (because my neighbor refuses to share hers) and other odds and ends. My builder has told me that it's on par. I know there is some BS in there, but I'm at the point where the less I am dependent on public services the better.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
Jan, the owner of MAX car wash deals in solar power, 809 571 4001, cel 809 901 0922. Also, the Swiss plumber, Pedro (Swiss) also sells and installs solar power. I think his number is 809 907 5688.
I think that easy power also do solar, 809 571 4036

I've contacted Easy Power, and will see how they do. The women was very polite, and apparently they have been in business for 7 years. She has inventory of the panels (only 130kw's), and they guarantee and maintain the product. Nice to have as long as her company stays in business.

I will also contact Pedro to see what he can offer.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Apparently I have to install 2 new poles, I have to buy a transformer (because my neighbor refuses to share hers) and other odds and ends. My builder has told me that it's on par. I know there is some BS in there, but I'm at the point where the less I am dependent on public services the better.

It's going to cost me $9K US to get the power to my house, plus the inverter etc so it's close to $15K for street power.

You would still need the Inverter, etc, unless everything was 12/24 vdc in the house.

If you decide to use the electric company:

If you install any poles along your property lines, put them inside your property line if possible. Otherwise they become public property and anyone can use them. Try to get the transformer inside your property line also. Check prices and sizes yourself on the transformer, don't pay for one that will feed the whole neighborhood. You only need the small one to power just your house and leave capacity for future growth.

We ran into this when we had to install 2 poles to get telephone service. We paid for the poles and everyone else used them and did not help with the purchase.

We went directly to the pole maker, installation was included in the price.

Don't remember the price, they were not expensive at all (6 or 7 years ago).
I'm thinking less than $100 U.S. each (Concrete Poles).

I have thought about using solar for many many years, just could not justify the price of the panels. On a smaller scale, bringing back a 10 watt panel and solar controller to power an electric fence unit this trip. Already have a wind turbine in place. Also have all the hardware to make a solar hot water heater for the pool. I planned on making my own water panels for that.

Don SantiagoDR

Last edited:

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
Own Supply

....the panels (only 130kw's)....

Wow!

Janin

BTW, I'd go for a self-sufficient power supply (diesel generator + inverters & batteries + a few solar panels to keep the batteries from low discharge during the day, similar to samanave.com)

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
I think that prices and regulations for poles has changed, the price for pole is about RDS 8000 cause they have regulated the size of poles and installation demand the special truck and authorized company to make it.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
130kW is a lot of power. The average 5 person home will only use a maximum of up to 20kW (if that).

Solar panels, the type that produce electricity, come in 2 types - cheap & expensive. If you are foolish enough to buy the cheap panels (less than 10 years guarantee), you have more money than sense. Good quality solar panels are guaranteed for a minimum of 15 years (subject to installation procedure & method).

If you are serious about saving money with electrical energy, you may invest in both wind & solar technology, as one will support the other. Wind power is cheaper & providing you have the facilities, you can easily build a wind powered electricity generator yourself.
Of course, using either of both technologies requires the use of batteries, something which is expensive & complicated.

About the cost of supplying domestic power:
In Thailand many foreigners have been led to believe that they needed to pay for the installation of transformers etc. This has been proven to be wrong. The foreigners who "put their foot down" ended up not paying anything.
Like most other energy suppliers in the world, an energy supplier will "promise" by government legislation, to supply power in the areas where they must. Consequently, if an energy supplier is charged with supplying customers with power, they must do so at their (the energy suppliers) cost.

Usually, this only involves supplying power up to the property boundary line. After this point, you must pay.
For example, my parents live on a small property outside of town. The power runs past the property but the house is 2km away from the property boundary. The only cost they had to pay was the connection from the property boundary to the house. They were very lucky as their installation is not within a residential area & as such, they may have been required to pay for a transformer.

Here in Thailand, many foreigners stupidly pay the cost of installing a new transformer in residential areas when the power runs past their door. This is not legal by Thai standards & they are being ripped of by corruption. The energy supplier in Thailand MUST supply power to them as promised.

In other words, the only thing you should have to pay for is the connection from the street pole to your house...unless you live in a non-residential area.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
It is and to generate that you'd need about one thousand solar panels and a lot of space to put them... ;)
Probably a "k" got in the way.

Janin

Yes, I had the K in the wrong place. It was 130 W panels, and my estimated total need is 12 panels, a 3.6kW inverter and 16 normal batteries.

Has anyone heard of panels being stolen? It would take a big amount of effort, but in this country anything is possible.

Taylor

Jan 28, 2005
at least they got them back

At least they caught the guy.

I'm thinking of putting bars across the top of them to make is just that little bit more difficult, at a slight loss in productivity.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
At least they caught the guy.

I'm thinking of putting bars across the top of them to make is just that little bit more difficult, at a slight loss in productivity.
Why not build a metal frame with lips on all 4 sides, and then either a lock or weld the 4th side in place (After inserting Solar Panels of course).

Therefore no loss in productivity.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007
Why not build a metal frame with lips on all 4 sides, and then either a lock or weld the 4th side in place (After inserting Solar Panels of course).

A very good idea. Besides, if the panels are just sitting on the roof, wind may move them. Bolt them down to the roof with many screws.

elkangorito

Sep 24, 2007

A very good idea. Besides, if the panels are just sitting on the roof, wind may move them. Bolt them onto to the roof with many screws.