Some Things Are Hard To Get Used To

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Rubbish was crazy 10 years ago, all over the place, around my parts.
Since the introductions of garbage trucks/ garbage pick up, it has gotten much better.

Also, the previous government/administration created/funded social jobs at the municipal level : old folks w/o family get paid to sweep 2 or 3 streets, which helps keep the village litter-free ( well almost ). Not only that, but one might think twice before littering if they know an old guy will be cleaning up their crap-- at least i like to think so.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rubbish was crazy 10 years ago, all over the place, around my parts.
Since the introductions of garbage trucks/ garbage pick up, it has gotten much better.

Also, the previous government/administration created/funded social jobs at the municipal level : old folks w/o family get paid to sweep 2 or 3 streets, which helps keep the village litter-free ( well almost ). Not only that, but one might think twice before littering if they know an old guy will be cleaning up their crap-- at least i like to think so.
Actually I think it is the other way. They don't care what they throw on the streets because they know the street sweepers will clean it up.

Reactions: XTraveller

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I guess I'm blessed where I live. We have a truck that comes by almost daily. I leave my trash bag next to the post on the sidewalk in front, and it's gone after an hour or so.

Reactions: bob saunders

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Glad we don't have that problem. They pick up our area of town every Tuesday, usually around 630 am but occasionally later but always on that day. There are a number of locations where you can drop your garbage at that they pick up daily.
that is why is you drive around the contryside where you are there isnt too much garbage whereas around mao on the back roads it is a garbage dump

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
I live in SDE 20 years now, the garbage all this time was and is a problem. We had times the collectors come 3 times the week, now only once. I live in front of a small Park, every day the people put there bags on a corner there and then the dogs makes there own "dinner" every day and night. After that you can see all the garbage in the park. But thanks to the ADSE there comes every morning a guy to clean up all the garbage around the park, it's like Don Quijote and the Windmills...
Without education of the people how and when keep out there trash it will never change...

Reactions: NanSanPedro

DR fan1990

Sep 22, 2020
Canada
I’ve been in the DR, first visiting, then living here for 30 plus years. Obviously,
I love it here. I could go on and on about the countless things I find amazing and inspiring
about the DR, but to be brief, let’s see, ……. the top two are probably the incredible
diverse natural beauty and the warmth and friendliness of the people.
This country has 1000 miles of coastline, numerous mountain ranges, each with its
own unique characteristics. Lush green tropical, semi arid, high elevation pine tree dominated,
ect. ect. I would recommend to everyone to get out and explore the DR. The north coast
is just a very small part of the country.
The warmth of the people, the friendliness of the culture inspires me daily. No need to
elaborate. K

And the cheaper cost of living is very attractive. This has been good to my wallet since I moved here last year.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here is a screenshot of the Instagram post on San Pedro garbage trucks. The company is owned by Robinson Cano. Hopefully the link works.

The mayor has said publicly “I’m doing my best to clean things up, but you have to do your part to help me out too”.

SPM Garbage Trucks

The account @alcaldiaspm also posted a rap video on Instagram telling people do do their part to clean up after themselves 😂.

I don’t know how to share it or I would .

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Here’s a screenshot of the rap video.
7CtCXK7.jpg

“Tú no ta’en na”… made me laugh. But I mean if it works?

Mods delete is it not okay to share it this way.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Now I know where to bring our garbage bags :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
This will knock your socks off AE: When I went to the new Bravo (meh) this morning, there were two guys, one on each side of the road, walking along with 55 gl. drums on hand trucks picking up the daily offerings on the sidewalk.

The truck was waiting for them at the bridge. No traffic jam, and they do a better job of cleaning up because there's no jam of traffic behind the garbage truck.

Ingenious.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I will say have not seen San Pedro this clean before. Juan Dolio is also looking much cleaner overall. Still pockets of garbage but I had to see it to believe it.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I will say have not seen San Pedro this clean before. Juan Dolio is also looking much cleaner overall. Still pockets of garbage but I had to see it to believe it.
San Cristobal as well. There is an entire army of "Doñas" out sweeping the streets in town every morning before 5am.

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Auryn

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
San Cristobal as well. There is an entire army of "Doñas" out sweeping the streets in town every morning before 5am.
People are sweeping in the barrios, albeit mostly into the gutter instead of collecting it for pick up. Most houses do pick it up on my in laws block. Yet it’s actually fairly clean most places as a rule.

I could not believe it when we first arrived.

I would have never, ever argued that change could be made with the garbage situation. But it seems to be a bit contagious. Even the most apathetic crowd in the barrios of San Pedro de Macorís are sweeping.

If you’ve ever been to San Pedro (the gritty, industrial, dirty, sprawling, mess that it is), you know that if it can happen here, it can happen anywhere.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Well after reading the thread after this point I will only say that there are many things in this country that are harder to get used to than the general cultural apathy towards environmental cleanliness.

1. Basic Infrastructure failure (electricity, water, internet)
2. Lack of customer concern from businesses
3. Lack of efficient public transportation (a productivity waster)

I could continue down my list...

Reactions: DR fan1990

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
New neighbors (renters) that play loud music late at night are hard to get used to.

There was a thread in the past 2 weeks that talked about something that would blow their speakers. I can’t find it, does anyone know the one I’m looking for?