Somebody stole from debit card but how?

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Mountainannie, I did not mean to offend anyone... if I did, please accept my sincerest apologies...

I just wanted to reassure the OP that he would get his money back if the card was mastercard or maestro...

and wanted to point out that a lot of expats have no other alternative than the damn plastic cards...

RIDDLER

Jan 30, 2009
this happened to me this summer i withdrew money from scotiabank in pop and when i got home and checked my account someone had used a card with my account number to make 3 purchases at Dominoes pizza luckily when i talked to my bank they cancelled that card i disputed the charges and they refunded the money this was a debit/credit card as well so i was very lucky the charges were not that much when i returned to pop the following month i went to Scotiabank to find out how this was possible i received the typical DR runaround my solution to this is i opened another basic checking account and when i'm in DR i use this card and only put the money i plan on spending in the account before i leave home

rio2003

Bronze
Aug 16, 2006
On two occasions over the years I have had money taken from my English bank account after using a debit card at an ATM. Both times I reported it within 24 hrs to my bank in the UK and also to both branches of Banco Popular where the original transaction occurred ( they couldn't have been less bothered if they tried). The money was refunded by my bank within a week of getting home on both occasions.

Rio

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
What they do is put a device over the original area where you insert the card and it records your info and there is a tint camera installed so they can see you enter your PIN number.

My question is how the hell these guys get a camera installed so they can see you enter your PIN?! Slipping a mechanism into the receptical of an ATM to clone the card doesn't seem like too much of a problem. But installing a surveillance camera?! Is this ordinarily done with inside help? I have had my Wachovia debit card cloned twice while in the DR and each time the bank replaced the amount the thieves withdrew. I am just amazed at thier ingenuity and ability to pull this off.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Me 2 !

I had 2 unauthorized withdrawls from my US bank debit card. I ONLY use this card in the DR. I got my money back,after filling out a "Form" from the bank. "They" only got $150,in 2 withdrawls. Made the withdraws on Madison Ave. in NYC. Luckily I had withdrawn over $3000 from the acct. before they got into the acct. My bank did charge me $10 for a new card.
I will never use my cards in the DR again!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Don't use plastic????

I think telling people to not use debit or credit cards in the DR is too strong. Having lots of cash in a safe is dangerous too.

I think using a debit card in the DR is OK if you are careful on using an ATM that is attached to a bank and you use it when the bank is open. Using a debit card can be a form of insurance that you don't get robbed. In the DR you never know who might know your habits including having too much cash on hand.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Come on, this cloning crap happens in every country, there are Russian wannabe cyber mobsters waiting to rob you probably right in your own building!

Just use your noodle and have the phone number for your bank's fraud department, and set a VERY low daily limit on the card. My B of A account was violated in La Vega,RD and the card shut down after 3 funky looking transactions. I got back every single RD Peso.

It is not hard to establish a relationship with a cambista if you need to cash a check, even as a tourist with a proper local introduction. I'll even front you some cash. AMEX cheques are pretty much worthless, just always have a few backup ATM/Credit cards, in another place, and you will not go hungry!

I just love the extremists on this thread.

hasta la tambora

Reactions: waytogo

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Tambo is correct.

If American, write a check @ a cambio someone refers you to...and have your ID. If you're not...oh well.

Use a debit card only at a bank during the day.

Use credit cards sparingly.

Travelers checks are ancient, but some banks and cambios do take them, others have no idea what they are.

It's not that difficult...but one does need to exhibit a higher level of caution.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
total agreement on that, too.
I don?t know much about the Checks to exchange, b?c that?s a typical northamerican thingy, If not mistaken even pensions etc get paid there by such checks, for me as a European, checks are a rarity to use, all such transactions are solely/very mostly done by transfers to bank accounts.
during all my life in europe I never ever had any Check in hands, but that?s 2 different systems in place on the 2 sides of the big Lake, doesn?t matter, both systems work fine.
if somebody live?s on the Isle permanently and get?s paid by such checks, as Tambo stated, you make your relations with Locals from the ?Hood, Dominicans or Expats alike, they introduce you to the local Cambio Place and your checks are fine as cash from there on. for exchanging Pension checks etc constantly/every week/month at the same Cambio they will even give you a much better exchange Rate than other clients of their Banco would get, just ask for it and negociate your ?Money?.
as far as Credit Cards and Debit Cards, mine are Credit Cards, but both kinds you should alsways have several of them, and limit each of them to a low Daily and weekly limit, on my own credit cards I can adjust my Limits for daily, weekly and monthly use even Online, completely hassle free. if I plan to pay a larger sum with a CC I can sit down on my computer, upper the limit for a specific card, it takes up to 48hrs til the "Upwards adjustment" is Valid/downward reduction is valid right away, and I can use it that way.
and I can adjust both points separately, the max amount for daily/weekly/monthly Cash at ATM's and the max amounts to use for purchases at stores or Online.
use several Debit Cards to be feed by the same bank account, put a low limit on each and all will be fine.

too much cash in the house has it's dangers, it will be known about in the 'Hood quickly and make a Person a Target for the Nutheads.
Mike

Reactions: cobraboy

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Its part of the daily routine....Go and get some money

Never too much on hand and a few thousands pesos every few days.

Not too large on the bills... plenty of small denominations - most purchases are small, so its not a problem

Just being aware and conscious..

WW

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
if you are a United Staters and are stranded, the Embassy has a fund to advance you money.
:surprised Really?

Not that i'd ever need it but how does that work? I sorta thought you'd be SOL if you went belly up here...

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Always tap the machine, if it sounds or looks plasticy then use another. The camera are installed above the number pad so cup you hand over you fingers when entering your pin.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
:surprised Really?

Not that i'd ever need it but how does that work? I sorta thought you'd be SOL if you went belly up here...

No.. they will advance you cash and money for a ticket home

i tried the link on the Embassy page,, under destitute citizens here in the DR but it was dead...

meaning perhaps that they do not do it any longer

but at least they used to

they will charge you... or I guess your family

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
total agreement on that, too.
I don?t know much about the Checks to exchange, b?c that?s a typical northamerican thingy, If not mistaken even pensions etc get paid there by such checks, for me as a European, checks are a rarity to use, all such transactions are solely/very mostly done by transfers to bank accounts.
during all my life in europe I never ever had any Check in hands, but that?s 2 different systems in place on the 2 sides of the big Lake, doesn?t matter, both systems work fine.
if somebody live?s on the Isle permanently and get?s paid by such checks, as Tambo stated, you make your relations with Locals from the ?Hood, Dominicans or Expats alike, they introduce you to the local Cambio Place and your checks are fine as cash from there on. for exchanging Pension checks etc constantly/every week/month at the same Cambio they will even give you a much better exchange Rate than other clients of their Banco would get, just ask for it and negociate your ?Money?.
as far as Credit Cards and Debit Cards, mine are Credit Cards, but both kinds you should alsways have several of them, and limit each of them to a low Daily and weekly limit, on my own credit cards I can adjust my Limits for daily, weekly and monthly use even Online, completely hassle free. if I plan to pay a larger sum with a CC I can sit down on my computer, upper the limit for a specific card, it takes up to 48hrs til the "Upwards adjustment" is Valid/downward reduction is valid right away, and I can use it that way.
and I can adjust both points separately, the max amount for daily/weekly/monthly Cash at ATM's and the max amounts to use for purchases at stores or Online.
use several Debit Cards to be feed by the same bank account, put a low limit on each and all will be fine.

too much cash in the house has it's dangers, it will be known about in the 'Hood quickly and make a Person a Target for the Nutheads.
Mike

American Express Travelers Cheques - Protect your Travel Money

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
No.. they will advance you cash and money for a ticket home

i tried the link on the Embassy page,, under destitute citizens here in the DR but it was dead...

meaning perhaps that they do not do it any longer

but at least they used to

they will charge you... or I guess your family

Annie,
maybe the American Gubmint went out of Cash for such,
due the bad Economy,
or due Too Many Belly Up Expats, lol.
a contact Form/Link for Emergencies I wouldawait to be open 24/7 and get monitored and answered 24/7.
and it is not a American Thingy alone,
I had myself Years ago bad experiences with the German Embassy Myself,
even not a Emergency for Myself, but responses been ""a Lottery to Win"".

Mike

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Well Good News, my Bank, Bank Atlantic, give me my money back even it's just a debit card. I filed a dispute and after 10 days they will give me a temporary credit on my account until the investigation is over. So i a not screwed.

lbs720

Jul 2, 2009
stolen debit card

My daughter had the same thing happen to her in Santo Domingo, but she was able to get her money back even though it was a debit card. She reported the fraudulent charges to her bank, they made her fill out affidavits, etc. and within a week or two the money was put back into her account. It was a big nuisance, but she didn't lose the money. (Her debit card said "Visa" on it, so it had the same theft protection on it as a credit card.)