Sosua beach restaurants

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
There are certainly some decent restaurants on the beach. And some decent folks/businesses that I'd like to support. It's the flies that really bother me, and that can't be controlled by any one restaurant. It's too bad, but it is what it is.

Without getting graphic while everybody is eating their breakfast, there are some extremely unsanitary conditions behind the vendor shacks. And when you swat that pesky fly off of your beach food, guess what it was sitting on just before.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Pig's food.

I heard a COW once fell through the Roof of a shack from above // I dont even know how that can happen, but i guess where its real steep like at playa Media there are Farm animals in the back and above ? strange stuff

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Big D's (when Derrick is there)

Tree House

Otherwise, you're probably better off just getting drinks (and maybe fries) on the beach, and taking your meals in town or Cabarete.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
There is some really good food available on the beach, you just have to know where to go.

Treehouse - midway down. Owned by an American named Sherman. Food is very good and so is the service. Two Haitian kids work there named James and Polo, both speak english and provide excellent service.

Dominic's - #65 Dominic and Norma have been running their restaraunt since the early 90's. Very good food and excellent service.

Jorge's - #64 Again, really good food and great service.

The Jamican place somewhere around #75 is legit also.

Big D's - as mentioned above is top notch for BBQ when Dee is at the helm.

Just don't go down to the beach and expect 5 star cuisine and linen. Stick w beach food, burgers, fries, Dominican style chicken, fried fish etc. Slug it down with an ice cold Presidente... whhoooop!!! Yum

I’ve also eaten at #67 many times. Ary has been there along time (all the way back to when his next door neighbor, #66 was Lou’s New York Shark Bar!). His creole style fish has been consistently good. My buddy likes the soup there too (huge bowls).

But my favorite Sousa beach spot is actually not on the beach. It’s up in Charamicos and overlooks the beach. Food isn’t the draw.....it’s the view.

Aris at #67 is the man, he has been there for many many years and he will never rip you off, His food is always good and fresh and his beers are always cold, You can eat at his place or he has chairs and tables on the beach, All around good man.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I’ve also eaten at #67 many times. Ary has been there along time (all the way back to when his next door neighbor, #66 was Lou’s New York Shark Bar!). His creole style fish has been consistently good. My buddy likes the soup there too (huge bowls).

But my favorite Sousa beach spot is actually not on the beach. It’s up in Charamicos and overlooks the beach. Food isn’t the draw.....it’s the view.

Michael's Stone is the name of the place.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Michael's Stone is the name of the place.

As a result of the good comments here, we visited there a couple of days ago. The view is indeed great and the food and drink is well priced, but we decided against eating there and just had a beer. The table cloths were really dirty, from which we guessed what the kitchen might be like.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The kitchen is in their house across the street, unless they changed that. Have not been there in years.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's what it is all about. Being observant and deciding your own tolerance for risk. Nice view sure, possibly staring at the back of your bathroom door for several days, not so much.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
As a result of the good comments here, we visited there a couple of days ago. The view is indeed great and the food and drink is well priced, but we decided against eating there and just had a beer. The table cloths were really dirty, from which we guessed what the kitchen might be like.

I'm a pretty gutsy guy but I'm with you, a dirty tablecloth is the kiss of death for me. I see a dirty one and I am-scray.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I'm a pretty gutsy guy but I'm with you, a dirty tablecloth is the kiss of death for me. I see a dirty one and I am-scray.

Dirty table clothes and dirty ketchup bottles. If you don't have time to clean up these two things then I can only imagine what the kitchen looks like.