Sosua News On Bars In Low Season

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I don't understand how things can be so dead in Sosua after closing down the massage places and the Human slave house Passions:rolleyes:..I thought these actions were gonna bring Sosua back to the Glory days..

Just one word of advice to all the bar and business owners waiting for the high season, Don't hold your breath too long waiting for business to be like it was. If people keep reading about all the things happening in Sosua they will just take their pay for play pesos to other places..

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was out last night. D'Latin...busy. Rumba....people in it. El Flow...normal Dominican crowd. Central....dead. Every other bar that I saw.....nobody. The mayor wants to drive out the people that are in the 3 busy bars....what does that leave? Who wants to come to a dead town? Interesting strategy...

spanky27312

Dec 7, 2008
I was out last night. D'Latin...busy. Rumba....people in it. El Flow...normal Dominican crowd. Central....dead. Every other bar that I saw.....nobody. The mayor wants to drive out the people that are in the 3 busy bars....what does that leave? Who wants to come to a dead town? Interesting strategy...

Has anyone noticed that willie's not running d'latin anymore, Armando Casciati and his henchmen are running----Armando has shaved his dyed mustache off. The mayor must not want willie visable.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I don't understand how things can be so dead in Sosua after closing down the massage places and the Human slave house Passions:rolleyes:..I thought these actions were gonna bring Sosua back to the Glory days..

Just one word of advice to all the bar and business owners waiting for the high season, Don't hold your breath too long waiting for business to be like it was. If people keep reading about all the things happening in Sosua they will just take their pay for play pesos to other places..

It's not just Sosua...Cabarete is the same.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Yes, they try their best to implement the same laws and taxes as the good ol USA without any of the benefits or protections.... The things that Americans come here to get away from seem to be following slowly, without logic or reasoning.

And that is the truth!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone know if Coaches Corner in Sosua is closed? Heard a rumor that Kahunas in Cabarete maybe taking over?

I assume you are the new owner?

I heard the new owner does not speak English and that they are Italian so it is unlikely that the one time poster is the new owner. The owner of Kahuna's is not Italian. Work on remodelling has been going quickly.

My band played frequently at the Coaches Corner and I hope that opportunity presents itself for us again in whatever the new owner calls that location.

Anyone with more information on that, please chime in.

sgtjosephmiller

Jan 7, 2012
the best bar over there now and its pack all the time is the bar"D LATIN DRINK".its crazy there.its right next to rumbas.its an open air bar and its huge.its killing all the other local bars including the famous "classic".

dusktilldawn

Jul 28, 2013
I heard the new owner does not speak English and that they are Italian so it is unlikely that the one time poster is the new owner. The owner of Kahuna's is not Italian. Work on remodelling has been going quickly.

My band played frequently at the Coaches Corner and I hope that opportunity presents itself for us again in whatever the new owner calls that location.

Anyone with more information on that, please chime in.

Yeah, and he's working on a take out menu in Italian

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I was also out. Every restaurant and most all bars in town EMPTY. From what I heard, Cabarete also was dead. Las Terenas only Dominican Tourists. How was POP?

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
POP is always dead.
Except for the cabanas. ;) I don't know this past weekend but the weekend before, On my way back from Stgo. I wanted to spend the night in POP. As a rule, I prefer a cabana for obvious reasons. Would you believe there wasn't one room vacant in any of the cabanas at 20:30 hrs. on a Saturday night.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A big part of the problem is taxes on air fares to the DR. The government is killing tourism in general with those high costs at a time when the economies in the world are struggling. The run down AI's in POP, potential issues with Sosua and it's new crackdown on a popular local attraction based upon the worlds oldest profession are issues specific to those various areas that hurt them...

As for the popularity of the cabanas, it reminds me of a song:

[video=youtube;zH-cPckntEY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-cPckntEY[/video]

Yes it is slow in Cabarete as well. The slowest it has been in 10 years.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would think that enforcement of the laws and regulations would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

I can certainly understand the feelings of responsible business owners like seamonkey who have had to compete with businesses who don't pay taxes, comply with the laws, or keep a clean kitchen.

One of the problems that operators of small businesses now face is that before, a backhander and an agreement to do the necessary was all that was required.
(The certificate from the Ministerio de Salud is apart from these requirements and most of us already have this so the 'clean kitchen' argument is not really a factor here.)

Now we will have to provide all the papers,

AND the backhander...........

The playing field I'm referring to is not between similar establishments, after all, when you're out for a drink, do you ask if the owner has paid all his dues before you order? Does it change the quality of your drink or satisfy your moral conscience?
Evidently, the large turnover places can cover this easily and up the prices accordingly
Get ready for the $120 peso pequena soon.(OK, That's already there in some places, especially Cabarete)

A local operator or someone with lots of clout will have different requirements, overheads and 'pay scale' to keep operating.

I'll let you guess which bars will be targeted first.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was in CuCu bar last night (down near Four Roses) I made a note of how many tourists passed by on PC. I was there from 8pm to 2am. I counted 6, one couple and 4 singles. Everyone else is wandering around...nothing to do. I have never in 10 years seen anything like this...even in slow season. This is a good plan they are working on here.......