Sosua Police/Noise Hotline

interim888

Oct 2, 2019
I used to live here close to a Canadian couple and they had several dogs. I've noticed that both dogs didn't bark, they just made a weird wheezing sound. I've asked the lady why was that and she told they had to cut (?) the vocal cords (devocalization google told me) because neighbors in Canada were complaining. Apparently in Canada they can make you do something about your barking dog. I don't own a dog and had no idea about this procedure nor have I met such dogs anywhere before.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have seen a collar that stops the dog barking.

Must be like the electric fences... a small volt jolt when they bark

Personally, I want my dogs to bark - just when needed, not constantly

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have seen a collar that stops the dog barking.

Must be like the electric fences... a small volt jolt when they bark

Personally, I want my dogs to bark - just when needed, not constantly

I bought one of those for a Shepard I had. He almost killed himself. When people would walk by our front fence he'd run full speed at them and start barking just before he got to the fence. The shock would send him headfirst into iron bars. Not a small jolt either, it put out some serious voltage.

He'd freak out at the shocks and yelp and get shocked again. I finally tossed the collar.

I ended up giving him to a K-9 security company.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Seems they are being requested to crack down on the big speaker jerks in Puerto Plata.
See ii isn't just extranjeros that find it offensive, locals do too.
I think speakers should be seized on the first complaint. Then sell them back to China

https://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=33660

Speakers are a never-ending battle here and you can bet it's the locals complaints that get them confiscated.

The local media publishes pictures of them being destroyed almost every month.

Reactions: cavok

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Another update on the ever-elusive Ruido Hotline in Sosua:
The good news is they answered the phone.
The bad news is if it's a dog and not people, you have to contact the Fiscal.
One step up, two steps back.

Reactions: CristoRey

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am at the point of hiring an assassin. I am not one of the DCDR or any kind of a great animal lover but I am not an animal hater---I have a dear Dominican friend---we've been friends for 35 years; he is otherwise educated, has lived in Europe---but actually kicks the kittens and....yuuck.

But I've tried Animal Control; I've contacted Ruido. As a gringa, I can't really go & speak to the family, bc (like Michael Corleone) should the dog be struck by lightning or cut himself shaving, I would be culpable.

I love my apartment. Despite it being en el centro, it is quiet, and so spacious, and SO affordable, and with the work I have done: so pretty. So I don't want to give it up. Plus: I don't want to move again.

I guess I would try going through the appropriate channels with Fiscal about the dog. My previous experience with Fiscal, where I was savagely bitten by a dog, by the owner's negligence, ended: guess what. La culpa de la gringa. For not walking on the other side of the street.

Reactions: nanita

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I am at the point of hiring an assassin. I am not one of the DCDR or any kind of a great animal lover but I am not an animal hater---I have a dear Dominican friend---we've been friends for 35 years; he is otherwise educated, has lived in Europe---but actually kicks the kittens and....yuuck.

But I've tried Animal Control; I've contacted Ruido. As a gringa, I can't really go & speak to the family, bc (like Michael Corleone) should the dog be struck by lightning or cut himself shaving, I would be culpable.

I love my apartment. Despite it being en el centro, it is quiet, and so spacious, and SO affordable, and with the work I have done: so pretty. So I don't want to give it up. Plus: I don't want to move again.

I guess I would try going through the appropriate channels with Fiscal about the dog. My previous experience with Fiscal, where I was savagely bitten by a dog, by the owner's negligence, ended: guess what. La culpa de la gringa. For not walking on the other side of the street.

Have you considered soundproofing your bedroom? I'm hoping to retire in Mexico and intend to do this. Even just having one room as a sanctuary from the noise would be nice. I am one of those people who is really sensitive to noise and a dog barking non-stop would drive me mental. Also, could you approach your neighbours really NICELY? Bring them a hamper of food, bottle of booze or something and just really sweetly explain that you can't work, or can't sleep or something? I can't see them holding a grudge over something like that.
Mind you if you follow this up by poisoning the dog, they will probably figure out it was you. JK. I think.

Reactions: JD Jones

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010

I think going with the Fiscal in the long run will not help. You would then be the bad Gringa and would have spent $ for this reputation.
You know what the Dominican solution is but You and I can not do this. I had similar experience neighbour has young dog tied up on 5 foot chain 24 hrs/day so dog would bark all day and night. After about 6 months you would notice something wrong in his bark something like damage vocal cords. Dog would bark less. After a few more months Dog hardly barks anymore.

So if you are not ready for the Dominican solution then patient is the solution and maybe earplugs. I was not able to sleep with earplugs but in time the Barking gets to be in the background you must try to not think about it.

Poor Dog still tied up 24/7 now maybe going on 3 years. You can't change stupid people here.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Have you tried barking at him?
Could work

Challenge is that you must be the meanest barker to get him shut up

I bought a high-frequency dog whistle and an electronic bark control to try on the dog my neighbor has that likes to hear itself bark.

The whistle actually works. He shuts up as soon as I blow it but then starts again after 30 seconds or so. It takes 4 or 5 times for him to quit, but it's not permanent.

• Haha
Reactions: RayO and CDNBear

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I bought a high-frequency dog whistle and an electronic bark control to try on the dog my neighbor has that likes to hear itself bark.

The whistle actually works. He shuts up as soon as I blow it but then starts again after 30 seconds or so. It takes 4 or 5 times for him to quit, but it's not permanent.
I went ballistic once. It seemed to help.

For both the dog and myself

Throwing coconuts at them gives you respect too

Not sure regarding the neighbors

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Have you considered soundproofing your bedroom? I'm hoping to retire in Mexico and intend to do this. Even just having one room as a sanctuary from the noise would be nice. I am one of those people who is really sensitive to noise and a dog barking non-stop would drive me mental. Also, could you approach your neighbours really NICELY? Bring them a hamper of food, bottle of booze or something and just really sweetly explain that you can't work, or can't sleep or something? I can't see them holding a grudge over something like that.
Mind you if you follow this up by poisoning the dog, they will probably figure out it was you. JK. I think.
I rent my apt. so I am not going to spend money to "soundproof" it. And yes, that is the plan: to go over there and remonstrate. I will not bring them food or drink, bc they probably wouldn't accept it from a stranger.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think you should March right over there and give them a piece of your mind ... Yell at them , and good .
I hear the louder you Yell at Dominicans , the more respect you get ..
good luck .

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

I've got my bedroom soundproofed. Heat repellant curtains facing outside with sound deadening curtains inside. IIRC they only cost about 5o bucks at the time. And if I move someday, I can take them with me.

I like the sound deadening curtains so much I put them on all of my windows.

Of course, they don't knock out the sound of kids playing in the parking area, but when they're not playing it's extremely quiet.

CDNBear

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Cabarete
I think you should March right over there and give them a piece of your mind ... Yell at them , and good .
I hear the louder you Yell at Dominicans , the more respect you get ..
good luck .
Dogs, mister. Not Dominicans, do not try that