Sosua River Cleanup

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Just look at the color of the water in that Facebook post.

That's the color of raw sewage in water.

They cleaned up el Tablon, I think partly to combat sewage going into the water, but there's a lot of houses that sit on the banks of that river further upstream.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Update From Today's Sosua News

During the cleanup, some 20 volunteers, hauled a large part of the garbage out of the river Sos?a. The fire brigade of Sos?a and the water company CORAPLATA with the support of the town council had made boats, shovel materials and plastic bags available. A big pile of waste, consisting of plastic bottles, packaging and food trays was removed from the river. And there was quite a lot of plastic waste in the river. The organizing committee had hoped for more volunteers. But the volunteers present worked hard and enthusiastically to remove a large part of the garbage from the river. So these men and women deserve all the praise. Unfortunately it is true that the adjacent villages still use the river as a sewer. As long as these villages have no functioning sewerage system, pollution will continue.

May 29, 2006
Not to hijack the thread, but what does one do with used frying oil in the dr ????
Pour it down the drain ? Probably ends up in the river. ( or in my septic fosse but not many of them around.....).
Bottle it and throw it out in the trash? Same diffrence, open air dumps, seeps right back into water circuit......

And what do u guys do with plastic ???? Metal the "recycle/bottelleo compra cosa viera guys " wont by off u ??

Just wondering.....

I throw my oil out the backyard and let the ants take care of it. Won't be a trace of it two days later. Just don't walk there unless you like ant bites.

The other thing you can do is dump flour into it to soak up the oil. But flour isn't free.

When it comes to plastic, I wonder if it's greener to burn it or let it make it to the ocean where it will float around for 100 years.

I don't think it's fair to blame Dominicans for the amount of trash. Until about 20 years ago trash would either break down, burn or be recycled. It's the plastic bags, water bottles and foam cups that are the big problem. I expect diapers will be more of a problem as they become more affordable.

If you're out in the campo and do trash burns, you can get much cleaner burns by making a burn tube. It can be a 4ft piece of culverting or a 55 gallon drum with both ends cut off. Put it up on a couple cinder blocks and do a burn whenever it gets full. Makes a lot less of a mess than an open pile of garbage and won't make much smoke once it gets going. Use to be every suburban home in the US had their own incinerator in the back yard. Also great for dealing with yard waste.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Indeed we had a "burning barrel" , a 50 gallon drum, that worked will with little smoke.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
the campaign in the us. is called FOG fats oil grease... detailed instructions on how and what to do what not to do

We have a house here and hope to live here for half the year sometime soon. We would like to get involved in helping clean up the environment, rivers, etc AND to educate people not to use the rivers as dumps. Is there an agency or volunteer group we could get in touch with?