Sosua to Jarabacoa

Lou2100

Sep 21, 2020
Toronto
I was looking at google maps and it showed to routes to take to get there . Time difference is 30 mins difference route 1-2 . Just curious which would be a less treacherous drive?
Has any one taken route 2 ?

Route 1) Sosua - Montellano - Santiago - Jarabacoa - Route 1 - googlemaps

Route 2) Sosua - Cabarete - Moca - Jarabocoa - Route 2 - googlemaps

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I would take route no. 1, the Turistica, hoping that there are no major delays on the Cangrejo bridge diversion.
Coming from SD or Santiago it's the route of least resistance. Autopistas except for going over the mountain. No driving through Mao or construction.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The main knock I have against the Ruta Turistica is that it is has so many curves - many almost hairpin curves. Very few stretches of straight pavement over 100 yards longs. You're just constantly turning. The last time I went over that route with my girlfriend and her kids, I had to pull over because they got motion sick.

Now I understand why they proposed Ambar Highway - it's straight.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The main knock I have against the Ruta Turistica is that it is has so many curves - many almost hairpin curves. Very few stretches of straight pavement over 100 yards longs. You're just constantly turning. The last time I went over that route with my girlfriend and her kids, I had to pull over because they got motion sick.

Now I understand why they proposed Ambar Highway - it's straight.
But the curves make it fun to drive if you don't have travel-sick kids with you.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
I just drove that road 2 weeks ago on my Volusia. Yes, a ton of turns, but that was the whole idea of the road...slow down and enjoy. I did it at a leisurely pace, had to pay close attention though.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
My understanding of the route is that you cannot travel with excessive speed because of the local traffic and many pueblos that line the route.
Anyone who truly like to operate their vehicle can enjoy the curves within the capacity of their vehicle and driving ability. If you cannot control your vehicle the performance level of said vehicle will not matter much.

"Power is nothing without control" - Pirelli

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There's not one road in the DR where you can't travel at excessive speed due to local traffic and pueblos. It's practically a national pastime.

Reactions: Lou2100

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My understanding of the route is that you cannot travel with excessive speed because of the local traffic and many pueblos that line the route.
Anyone who truly like to operate their vehicle can enjoy the curves within the capacity of their vehicle and driving ability. If you cannot control your vehicle the performance level of said vehicle will not matter much.

"Power is nothing without control" - Pirelli
That is part of the reason you cant drive fast on the Touristic highway, The other reasons are there are many very sharp blind corners on hills, the road is quite narrow, and there are lots of people walking on the edge of the road. There are stretches where you can go fast, but they are limited. I have driven that road a dozen times. I like it, but it is slow.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That is part of the reason you cant drive fast on the Touristic highway, The other reasons are there are many very sharp blind corners on hills, the road is quite narrow, and there are lots of people walking on the edge of the road. There are stretches where you can go fast, but they are limited. I have driven that road a dozen times. I like it, but it is slow.
A reasonable driver will be lucky to average 35mph on that route.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I meant to say in my previous post that the tourist route is the shortest.

With the Santiago circumvention, taking the Navarrete route is probably the fastest and least tiring.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I meant to say in my previous post that the tourist route is the shortest.

With the Santiago circumvention, taking the Navarrete route is probably the fastest and least tiring.
It might be the least tiring, but it's definitely the longest and would have to take the most time IMO.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
normally takes me around 2 hours from Jarabacoa to the POP airport.
To compare apples to apples, I picked a point on the circumnavigation where it intersects with the Ruta Touristica. From that point to Sosua vs going via Navarette/Maimon/Pto. Plata, according to GoogleMaps, the distance is twice as long and the drive takes 25 minutes longer.

That sounds right to me because you're only on the Ruta Touristica for 45 minutes and you're in Montellano - 15 minutes or less to Sosua.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
To compare apples to apples, I picked a point on the circumnavigation where it intersects with the Ruta Touristica. From that point to Sosua vs going via Navarette/Maimon/Pto. Plata, according to GoogleMaps, the distance is twice as long and the drive takes 25 minutes longer.

That sounds right to me because you're only on the Ruta Touristica for 45 minutes and you're in Montellano - 15 minutes or less to Sosua.
Actually, with the bridge out, it's now more like 25 minutes from Montellano to Sosua,.