sosua to Santo Domingo airport...help with timing

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Are you sure you are flying out of sdq? Just making sure you are making you way to the correct airport in SD. Would hate you to arrive at Sdq only to find you're at the wrong port.

To be honest, i didnt realise there was another airport in SD until i read this!
I now see that i am flying out of Joaquin Balaguer JDQ which i am now assuming is a rather different airport.

So, thanks for that heads-up! Any idea where it is??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's in the north of SD, in higuero (neighbourhood). in case you need a number: 809-826-4019 ext. 112.
you will have to make it very clear to the taxi driver that you want to go to this airport :)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Your taxi will more likely know it as 'la Isabela'.

Maximo gomez all the way out of town then west onto mirador Norte Then north on some other road all the way. Pretty simple.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
this number is for a taxi? Any idea how much it should cost?

Do you advise to arrange beforehand with this guy or is it straightforward just to take one of the taxis at Metro?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
this number is for a taxi? Any idea how much it should cost?

Do you advise to arrange beforehand with this guy or is it straightforward just to take one of the taxis at Metro?

The taxi will cost you about RD1000 and take about 30-35 mins. Any taxi should do but if you want a number of a reliable guy that's not going to try to rip you I can send you freddys number.

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
Your taxi will more likely know it as 'la Isabela'.

Maximo gomez all the way out of town then west onto mirador Norte Then north on some other road all the way. Pretty simple.

I would avoid Maximo Gomez, since the airport (if I recall correctly) is in the other direction, and one can easily spend hours in the traffic at Maximo Gomez. Better go from the west side of Mirador Norte, where there is usually much less traffic. I think on that side of the city they have also put street signs to La Isabela. Nevertheless this airport is located much nearer to the city than Las Americas.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I would avoid Maximo Gomez, since the airport (if I recall correctly) is in the other direction, and one can easily spend hours in the traffic at Maximo Gomez. Better go from the west side of Mirador Norte, where there is usually much less traffic. I think on that side of the city they have also put street signs to La Isabela. Nevertheless this airport is located much nearer to the city than Las Americas.

Hmm, she is going to be at the coach station. Maximo gomez runs north to south, so no you dont remember correctly. How can the airport be in the opposite direction? The airport is north of the city, and unless I'm going mad maximo Gomez takes you to the east of mirador north, if you were to go to the west then you would have to go through the centre of the city which is way slower and more complicatedmthan straight out on the one road, maximo Gomez. Anyway if you go to the west of mirador and head east then you are going in the absolute wrong direction, You'd bypass mirador Norte if this was the case, but it isn't, i cant see why she would come over from the west. I don't see the point in making a simple route complicated.
Someones geography is on the blink, and you think navigating the centre is quicker than one road out?
you know a different SD to me.

Last edited:

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
Hmm, she is going to be at the coach station. Maximo gomez runs north to south, so no you dont remember correctly. How can the airport be in the opposite direction? The airport is north of the city, and unless I'm going mad maximo Gomez takes you to the east of mirador north, if you were to go to the west then you would have to go through the centre of the city which is way slower and more complicatedmthan straight out on the one road, maximo Gomez. Anyway if you go to the west of mirador and head east then you are going in the absolute wrong direction, You'd bypass mirador Norte if this was the case, but it isn't, i cant see why she would come over from the west. I don't see the point in making a simple route complicated.
Someones geography is on the blink, and you think navigating the centre is quicker than one road out?
you know a different SD to me.

If she is going from Metro station to La Isabela Airport, I admit yes, taking Maximo Gomez is a bit more straightforward, but I bet it would take more time.

Both the airport and the bus station (I think she mentioned taking Metro, so practically intersection of 27 de febrero and Churchill) and JBQ airport are located on the same side of the city in relation to Maximo Gomez, on the west side. So taking Maximo Gomez, one would first have to go to east and then return to west after Mirador Norte. So this would make it the opposite direction, or am I wrong here?

I used to go daily from near the Metro station and pass by the Mirador Norte park. Even though the route takes much more turns, I always saved time, because the traffic amount is only a fraction of that of Maximo Gomez or Hermanas Mirabal. Taking this route one should also see signs pointing to the airport.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Hmm, getting crossed wires on mirador Norte. If you were to take the more complicated route and head directly north, you would bypass mirador Norte, it doesn't come into it. I suppose it's personal preference, but lots of junctions at that time of day will be a nightmare, IMO. I'd be more inclined to take the least road changes possible, which would be to head to MG then straight out, I think it will be quicker, but that's me. Either way it isnt that complicated.

I just checked the map, and it is pretty much evens, head west then north is more complicated but shorter, head east then north on MA is slightly longer, but not many junctions to bypass.

6 or 2X3

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
Couple of additions:

and you think navigating the centre is quicker than one road out?

This is exactly how the taxi drivers in SD drive, I have used plenty of them, and the NEVER take the "easiest" route, because each and every other driver thinks the same way, so the easiest, and supposedly fastest route is the worst one with the traffic jams. All the taxis I have used, only use really small roads, where there is no traffic, and arrive to their destination in no time. This is to say, one cannot use these small roads if one does not know the city, but taxi drivers do normally.

you would have to go through the centre of the city which is way slower and more complicatedmthan straight out on the one road, maximo Gomez.

Having driven via Maximo Gomez way to many times, I stand by my words, one should only use this avenida really early in the morning or only on certain times of the day. I have spent more than 2 hours in the "tapones". Taking the western route via the west side of Mirador Norte (passing Arroyo Hondo) has never taken me more than 30 minutes.

What I have learned living in SD, is that I cannot determine the best route (time + gasoline) only by looking at the map, but only with the help of knowhow, to where to go and when.

jari841

Feb 20, 2011
Hmm, getting crossed wires on mirador Norte. If you were to take the more complicated route and head directly north, you would bypass mirador Norte, it doesn't come into it. I suppose it's personal preference, but lots of junctions at that time of day will be a nightmare, IMO. I'd be more inclined to take the least road changes possible, which would be to head to MG then straight out, I think it will be quicker, but that's me. Either way it isnt that complicated.

I just checked the map, and it is pretty much evens, head west then north is more complicated but shorter, head east then north on MA is slightly longer, but not many junctions to bypass.

6 or 2X3

I agree that there is a risk when more changes of roads etc. have to be taken, but again, taking the used time into consideration, I think it?s worth it.

If she leaves from the north coast at 8am, she will arrive to Metro by the latest at noon, and this hour the traffic is not the best, there are usually traffic jams. I have seen many "tapones" on Maximo Gomez at this hour. If she takes the western route, the only real place where she can be stuck for a while is Lincoln (however, if the taxi is smart, he won?t even take this road, but only take small roads between Churchill and Lincoln until 27 de febrero).

From the map, please also remember, that if she goes first east, after Mirador Norte she will have to come back to west (although this is not an issue, there is no traffic on this part of the city), going straight to west this is not necessary.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Who needs GoogleMaps when we have you two !!:confused:

Perfect.... I'll be looking for my car dealer tomorrow in la Castellana .... then to Nello's.
Who should I call ??:D