Souverir Sellers On Tourism Decline In Sosua

DR2001

Jan 2, 2011
That brought a chuckle. After 10 years we finally broke down and bought the "man in the barrel" from him for one of my husband's crew members. Closed a 10 year era of not buying the "the man in the barrel" in POP!

there is a guy in POP whom i met about 12 years ago. he walked around selling knick knacks, the most memorable being a man in a barrel, whose wheezer popped out when the barrel was raised. he is still selling the same crap today. that is not an entrepreneur. an entrepreneur would have abandoned that tired old piece of crap ten years ago, and come up with something new by now. then these guys blame the state of tourism for their lack of sales. am i going to buy a pair of fake Ray Bans from some wandering salesman, when i can get a better price in the USA? why are you trying to sell me a belt? don't you think they sell belts in Philly?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Souvenir vendors are few and far between on the beaches in Las Terrenas. We just don't have the problem. Im Sosua, I understand that these vendors are trying to make a living and they have the right to ask you if you are interested. You also have the right to tell them that I am not interested(in buying your crap) in a nice way without being hounded. The customer is king.

LTSteve

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have never had any issues on Sosua beach by hookers. I regularly go with my wife and 3 year old son. I have never even had a problem on pedro clisante and we REGULARLY went to Rocky's , The cuban cafe, tres amigos, and scotch & sirloin.. Are people bothered by just seeing young women with older guys or something? It doesn't bother me, I sorta feel proud of the guy, and hope when I'm older I'll have a young woman on my arm :)

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. My idea was that the beach should be a place where regular tourists could enjoy a tranquil evening on the beach overlooking the bay, while the current activities could remain in Pedro Clisante only. Thus you have two different contributors to the economy: a place for regular tourists and one for the single men who are the current big spenders.

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
I bet some of that stuff is antique by now, we should get the antiques roadshow to come down here

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Always liked all the shops and bars along the beach. Here at home, some of the soccer teams have an annual pub run where to raise money for their expenses, where they have a drink at one pub and then run on to the next one and keep repeating as necessary. I have thought for a while that the bars along the beach would be a perfect set up for something similar although it would be a real short run, walk, stagger to next one of course. Last man standing or who makes it to the furthest bar wins!

DieselFuel

Jan 15, 2013
Was walking down to the beach yesterday and one of the vendors said to me "Hello new guy!". Lol.........