Spaghetti

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
a real good italian Store open in Bavaro / veron right next to BM Cargo top of the line products I just forget the name but you are going to pay but its worth every dollar Sky mostly knows the name .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
a real good italian Store open in Bavaro / veron right next to BM Cargo top of the line products I just forget the name but you are going to pay but its worth every dollar Sky mostly knows the name .
Punta Italia I guess you are talking about. Restaurant and Italian Deli. Best Pizza in the DR with wood oven fireplace burning...............

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yacine

Oct 23, 2005
Who has not tried the real espagueti con fritos (veggy version) and aguacate (i carry my own in case they don't have) at the stand of a doña (I don't know her name) on the intersection at south entry of San Juan de la Maguana (coming from barahona, el capá), is not qualified to discuss the issue.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
we have our lunch meal delivered and the woman that cooks it does an excellent job.

Try getting that in gringolandia..

The only reason I don't do it daily is the weight gain.

I always buy 365 whole wheat spaghetti. Almost 9K 5 star reviews can't be wrong.

s[aghetti.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: keepcoming

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I love pasta and would eat it every day if I could. But of course, that is not ideal for health/weight. Honestly the whole wheat pasta was something I could not get used to. I tried but it just had a different bite to it. It could be the way I cooked it though. My MIL was a very good cook although she could really be inventive when it came to pasta dishes, which was not always a good thing...lol. I have watched people in DR make spaghetti. As soon as they drop the bouillon cube in to the "sauce", its over for me. I would always tell everyone to just leave me some pasta, I will add butter and parmesan cheese.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I love pasta and would eat it every day if I could. But of course, that is not ideal for health/weight. Honestly the whole wheat pasta was something I could not get used to. I tried but it just had a different bite to it. It could be the way I cooked it though. My MIL was a very good cook although she could really be inventive when it came to pasta dishes, which was not always a good thing...lol. I have watched people in DR make spaghetti. As soon as they drop the bouillon cube in to the "sauce", its over for me. I would always tell everyone to just leave me some pasta, I will add butter and parmesan cheese.

Oh KC, I tried the whole wheat pasta. I can’t do it either. Ditto brown rice.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I know AE, the butter and parmesan cheese...lol. But it was the better option compared to the Dominican spaghetti they cooked....lol. Funny though, to this day two of my nieces/nephews always ask for "tias" (that's me) spaghetti, butter and parmesan cheese. I guess they decided it is better than the Dominican spaghetti that is being served 🤣. I may try the whole wheat again, just to see.

Reactions: AlterEgo

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Never tried whole wheat pasta but I'm sure the difference in taste is as pronounced as between white and whole wheat bread. It sounds like it would ruin a good Italian tomato sauce.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I know AE, the butter and parmesan cheese...lol. But it was the better option compared to the Dominican spaghetti they cooked....lol. Funny though, to this day two of my nieces/nephews always ask for "tias" (that's me) spaghetti, butter and parmesan cheese. I guess they decided it is better than the Dominican spaghetti that is being served 🤣. I may try the whole wheat again, just to see.
Don't do it.
Like you said it has a different bite.
It is where "al dente" goes to die.
I always used to feel a little guilty when everyone I know was on the whole wheat kick, so it's good to know I'm not alone.
Btw...
I'm not cooking for a lot of people so, any ideas about how to deal with unused anchovies.
What's better?
Tins or jars?
Can they be frozen?

Reactions: keepcoming

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I used to go either way until one day a bag of basmati had a very smoky taste to it.
It turned me off the stuff.
So now I stick with Jasmin.
As a matter of fact I have a pot of it on the stove right now.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Correct. It has a separate setting for brown rice. I think it measures in hours.
LOL, my son says his rice cookers takes 40 minutes to cook brown rice. He then stuffs it a salmon with pearl onions and wraps in tinfoil and either into the oven or onto the barbeque.

Reactions: Buzz65