Speaking Spanish

Dec 9, 2002
I too am trying to learn Spanish, although I don't seem to be able to devote enough time to do it properly.

I have tried going to school, but I get bored too quickly when it comes to all the grammer stuff - past participles, present subjunctives, yawn yawn yawn - all of these terms are like a foreign language all on their own! I just want to be able to have conversations with people I meet, I'm not too worried about getting it right all the time, but it takes a lot of confidence to "have a go".

I'm currently using a CD course by Michael Thomas (it's published in the UK by Hodder & Stoughton, but I don't know if it's available anywhere else). His teaching methods are very different to anything I've come across before - there's no memorising, no pens or paper, no homework. He has very relaxed, calming sort of voice, that is very easy to listen to. He sort of breaks the language down, then builds up phrases and sentences, which for me makes it easier to understand word order and sentence structures.

He also does the same courses in French, German and Italian.

Another thing that I have found particularly useful is a book published by Penguin called "New Penguin Parallel Texts: Short Stories in Spanish". Basically it contains numerous short stories (surprise, surprise), but the good thing is that the text on the left hand page is in Spanish, with the English translation on the right hand page. Simple but brilliant.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I agree with DB

I can't distinguish a subjunctive from a cheese burger. First, watch the news and children's shows, they speak slowly and clearly. Try to imitate their rythm and accent (just don't overdo the "?c?spitas!") and it'll all soon make sense in your head.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks

For the reading suggestions MaineGirl. I'll be in Santiago next week or the week after and will pick these up. And thanks Pib, but I really don't want to keep reading the kids books. Jeez! ;) I want to graduate to adult books!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Dominican Babe, I have the penguin parallel editions also. They are good. I also have a lot of poetry in bilingual editions. I love Extravagaria by Neruda. Just beautiful!

Pib, Jonathan Livingston Seagull is pretty bad in any language.

SLM: DVD's are great. Find one with a Spanish track or put on Spanish titles and mute. Especially good if you are very familiar with the film. I personally like watching disney films in Spanish. As for music....you can't beat the Afro-Cuban Allstars or Marc Anthony.