Spicy Food in the DR

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
I always make this with in a week of returning to the DR.

Mango Habanero Hot Sauce

3 Mangoes
4 Habanero peppers
1 cup shredded carrot
4 green onions
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup lime juice
3 tablespoons rice vinegar (or pineapple vinegar, if you have it)
½ teaspoon salt

Peel the mangoes. Remove the seeds from all but one of the habanero peppers. Add the mango flesh, peppers, shredded carrot, green onions, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
Transfer to a medium saucepan. Stir in the lime juice, rice vinegar, and salt. Cook on medium-high until it boils. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then press through a sieve to remove any seeds and fruit pulp. Place in an airtight container or a bottle (a squeeze bottle works well) and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. This will keep for several months.
Heat is an issue.. Depends on the pepper. If too HOT make more sauce (w/o pepper) and add original to taste. If not hot, add more peppers and recook.

And I make this too.....
Chinese Oil Hot (really easy to make)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIiADdh-QY

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Another of my DR recipes are Boiled Peanuts
This video will give you an idea....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7G_BSxYpc8

With mine.....
Go to Playero (near the Bananas and Eggs) and buy 2 bags of Peanuts.
Pick out the twigs, stones and crappy peanuts.
Wash, wash, wash.
Cover with water and Boil for 30 min.
Wrap in a towel. Let sit over night.
In the morning, boil for 30 minutes, wrap in a towel and let sit.
About 1pm add 1/2Cup (or 3/4C) Salt and a dozen (really hot) Habanero pepper (whole).
Boil for 2+ hours. Let sit an hour.

Serve with Beer (lots of Beer)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the sauce sounds great. the peanuts sound great. i will be on a lookout for raw peanuts (i don't remember seeing them) and spicy raw peppers. thanks!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Another of my DR recipes are Boiled Peanuts
This video will give you an idea....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7G_BSxYpc8

With mine.....
Go to Playero (near the Bananas and Eggs) and buy 2 bags of Peanuts.
Pick out the twigs, stones and crappy peanuts.
Wash, wash, wash.
Cover with water and Boil for 30 min.
Wrap in a towel. Let sit over night.
In the morning, boil for 30 minutes, wrap in a towel and let sit.
About 1pm add 1/2Cup (or 3/4C) Salt and a dozen (really hot) Habanero pepper (whole).
Boil for 2+ hours. Let sit an hour.

Serve with Beer (lots of Beer)

Do you have a racetrack near your house? Your boiled nuts sound better than the ones I've had at The Lady In Black. I'll try these. Thanks for the recipe.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Is playero just a north coast supermarket? Sounds like they have a lot of good imported items. You would think living here in SD that there would be justas good as a selection but I went out to some markets today and I couldn't find my huy Fong Sriracha, peppers, etc. Unless they're in some hidden section I'm not looking. Might have my father bring me a couple of bottles along with some of my favorite Michigan beers :cheeky:

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
The sriracha in Playero (Sosua) is found in the large "asian" section which is not in the same place as the rest of the hot sauces.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

Mango Habanero Hot Sauce

3 Mangoes
4 Habanero peppers
1 cup shredded carrot
4 green onions
3 cloves garlic
¼ cup lime juice
3 tablespoons rice vinegar (or pineapple vinegar, if you have it)
½ teaspoon salt

Peel the mangoes. Remove the seeds from all but one of the habanero peppers. Add the mango flesh, peppers, shredded carrot, green onions, and garlic to a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
Transfer to a medium saucepan. Stir in the lime juice, rice vinegar, and salt. Cook on medium-high until it boils. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Allow the sauce to cool slightly, then press through a sieve to remove any seeds and fruit pulp. Place in an airtight container or a bottle (a squeeze bottle works well) and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. This will keep for several months.
Heat is an issue.. Depends on the pepper. If too HOT make more sauce (w/o pepper) and add original to taste. If not hot, add more peppers and recook.

And I make this too.....
Chinese Oil Hot (really easy to make)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlIiADdh-QY

Switch out the Habs which are mild with 4 Carolinas...then you have a hot sauce.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Is playero just a north coast supermarket? Sounds like they have a lot of good imported items. You would think living here in SD that there would be justas good as a selection but I went out to some markets today and I couldn't find my huy Fong Sriracha, peppers, etc. Unless they're in some hidden section I'm not looking. Might have my father bring me a couple of bottles along with some of my favorite Michigan beers :cheeky:

Large expat population and Playero caters pretty well to them 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

The only food most Dominicans like, besides the bandera, is pizza and US stuff. Oh yeah Chow Fan.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
The only food most Dominicans like, besides the bandera, is pizza and US stuff. Oh yeah Chow Fan.

Well I absolutely love Dominican food without question (always add some hot sauce though haha). When I come to the DR I mostly eat the food here and drink Presidente, I can't get that same ambience in Michigan. I'm an avid craft brew drinker, but when I am here, Presidente is the only beer I drink (presidente black to be exact) haha. I just enjoy the whole experience being here. Obviously as stated, I do indulge once in a while and like to get some imported goods to fill that void, because I am in the DR to accept their customs, not to impose my own. I have found most Dominican people at least willing to try different types of food (except spicy). The only person I personally know that is the pickiest eater is my GF, but at least she eats somewhat healthy and not all the fatty dominican foods.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Playero is just in Sosua. Not a chain.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Mango Habanero Hot Sauce

since i had two sad mangoes in the fridge i gave this sauce a go. i used tomatoes instead of carrots (forgot to buy them) and red onion instead of green onion. also added a spoon of honey. the result is fiery orange. i think it's pretty good. maybe a bit too spicy but still fine.
thanks again.

aname4me

Jun 18, 2011
Sadly the DR Habanero peppers are a very unpredictable thing.

So, .....
Heat is an issue.. Depends on the pepper.
If too HOT make more sauce (w/o pepper) and add original to taste. If not hot, add more peppers and recook.

I make a second sauce... without Peppers (and with Carrots).
I add the first sauce UNTIL it get the the "right" hot for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i may do additional sauce to mix it but i will give this version a go first. after all, it's to use it sparingly on food and not pour it all over :)
note: i used 3 habaneros (bought them in bravo yesterday) but took all the seeds out.