Spyware-Virus protection

A

apostropheman

I was just reminded of a great, and until recently new to me, program called malwarebytes
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

It's a very "heavy duty" antimalware program that also features a tool called
File assassin used to remove hard to remove programs.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/fileassassin.php

It also offers RogueRemover Free which helps to remove issues.
read about it here
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rogueremover.php

All in all a great set of products IMO...and I'm using them regularly :)

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Virus removal - the best solution

Hello,

There are many virus utilities available, some of them free to use.

I found out that trying to remove viruses, trojans, spyware etc may take
hours if not days - often with moderate success - but still your PC has
traces in it which regenerate...why bother to spent the time when a fresh copy of windows can solve ALL ISSUES!!!

Re-installing windows takes a few hours and promises best results.

Back-up all files & data on DVD & upload for free at Megaupload.com
Scan your back-up for viruses PRIOR to formatting the harddrive.

Georgios

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Re-installing windows takes a few hours and promises best results.
Georgios,

If you want to be permanently rid of those viruses, malwares, spywares and adwares, once you backed up your files (photos, videos, music, documents), wipe your hard drive, but DON'T re-install Windows !!!

Instead, just install Linux, and be free :)

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Linux VS virus

Georgios,

If you want to be permanently rid of those viruses, malwares, spywares and adwares, once you backed up your files (photos, videos, music, documents), wipe your hard drive, but DON'T re-install Windows !!!

Instead, just install Linux, and be free :)

Lately, even linux is been targeted by trojans, spyware etc due to the fact that this "new" operating system is becoming more popular, see link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_computer_viruses

Linux operating systems may not be able to execute special applications like Autocad, Quickbooks etc.

Georgios

J

joerusso

Thanks for all of the replies here guys, I have test driven some of these posted solutions and got bogged down big time with 2 of the programs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AVG Free Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware <--------this was an issue for me

Spybot - Search & Destroy

SpywareBlaster

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner

I'm using spybot right now and I'm finding some strange stuff going on..I have loaded the spydoctor in which I'm going to make my final decision on wether to buy it or not this Friday. When I run spybot, the doctor goes crazy and comes up with activity trying to access my files.mmmm I wonder if this program is infected and its a B/S program for hijackers..I did get it fron cnet, so just a heads up--Warning!!! I'm going to continue to test this because I do like its features, but again, my spydoctor is fliping out when I run the scan from spybot..any ideas? or would you folks agree that this could be a infected program?

I also tested the AVE and wow~~~ my entire system was so slow that i got a warning and my system went into a self safe mode, cleared its drivers and I had to re-boot. My system took over an hour to come up even after I rebooted many times.. what gives?? I have a total of 144 GB with 70 GB left of space--plenty!!! As well as a fresh defrag and disc clean. My system is very, very fast without these programs so this is not an issue--again, just a heads up and this download also came from cnet--I'm thinking that this cnet site is all corrupted, but I will try a download from another site just to be sure-Thanks again for this feed back! Joe

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Lately, even linux is been targeted by trojans, spyware etc due to the fact that this "new" operating system is becoming more popular, see link
Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Georgios, you are right ! Sometimes, maybe 0.001% of the times, you may have a small risk using Linux ;)

"The Linux operating system, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as well-protected against computer viruses."

And only the Kaspersky guy (who wants to sell some antivirus software), will state:

"Shane Coursen, a senior technical consultant with Kaspersky Lab noted, "The growth in Linux malware is simply due to its increasing popularity, particularly as a desktop operating system ... The use of an operating system is directly correlated to the interest by the malware writers to develop malware for that OS.""

But it has been 4 years that I run Linux only, without any type of antivirus/anti-spyware, and I never ever even saw the shadow of an infection...

Linux operating systems may not be able to execute special applications like Autocad, Quickbooks etc.
see that Quickbooks replacement here: Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

and some *Cad stuff here: BRL-CAD | Open Source Solid Modeling
gplcad.org
Linux Online - Category: Graphics / CAD/CAM
CAD + License:GPL - SWiK

But then, to each his own, as much as I am satisfied with Linux, if you are a happy Windows user, great ! :)

You can still run GPL apps for Windows... See here ;)
The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Ive been using Ad-aware from Lavasoft. I dunno if it really works all that well. It is FREE. It always finds something. However...i've heard that many spyware removal programs actually GIVE you spyware so that they can then say that they have reomoved it.

I have to read this threat more closely as I would like to get something better.

FernieBee

Bronze
Feb 20, 2008
AVG Free Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware <--------this was an issue for me

Spybot - Search & Destroy

SpywareBlaster

Bazooka Adware and Spyware Scanner
I use AVG, Spybot, and SpywareBlaster without problem. I no longer use Bazooka, but when I did, I also had no problem with it.

I'm running Windows XP (SP2) on a Pentium 4 (3.0 GHz) PC, with 2 Gigs of RAM.

georgios

Oct 2, 2004
Georgios, you are right ! Sometimes, maybe 0.001% of the times, you may have a small risk using Linux ;)

"The Linux operating system, Unix and other Unix-like computer operating systems are generally regarded as well-protected against computer viruses."

And only the Kaspersky guy (who wants to sell some antivirus software), will state:

"Shane Coursen, a senior technical consultant with Kaspersky Lab noted, "The growth in Linux malware is simply due to its increasing popularity, particularly as a desktop operating system ... The use of an operating system is directly correlated to the interest by the malware writers to develop malware for that OS.""

But it has been 4 years that I run Linux only, without any type of antivirus/anti-spyware, and I never ever even saw the shadow of an infection...

see that Quickbooks replacement here: Free Accounting Software | GnuCash

and some *Cad stuff here: BRL-CAD | Open Source Solid Modeling
gplcad.org
Linux Online - Category: Graphics / CAD/CAM
CAD + License:GPL - SWiK

But then, to each his own, as much as I am satisfied with Linux, if you are a happy Windows user, great ! :)

You can still run GPL apps for Windows... See here ;)
The OSSwin project: Open Source for Windows!

Thanks for all the links you posted. Linux appears to be perfect for most users. I like what I see.

As for me & my business, I have Quickbooks Premier, Multi Currency for 9 years (Canadian Version).
Bank & payroll are the lifeline of my business. QB issues critical updates for tax changes to apply in accordance with Canadian legislation. It would be unwise for me to switch to the other accounting software.
Additionally, I have Autocad 3D 2008 to be able to work with architectural firms and produce shop drawings (millwork). Again, very risky to switch to applications (CAD) which may not work as I want them to work.
Currently, I run Windows Pro XP SP3 c/w Sata & Raid drivers built-in. This version is the best XP Pro out there. The Sata/Raid drivers give me the Vista look on the monitor but the operating system is XP. Very stable and lighting fast. Norton internet security 2008 is my choice along with AVG antispyware (not AVG antivirus)which I run once a week (not running all the time). Some parasites do crawl in but quickly get detected & deleted.
Once a year I format the harddrive, a fresh windows install will clean up all the junk which accumulates over time. A nice application to have is the Registry Mechanic 2008. Perfect for keeping the Registry clean. Many people may not know what the registry is but I am sure you do.
The computer is like any other machine, it needs maintenance to keep it running fast. Too many antivirus software installed will slow down the CPU.

Georgios