Starbucks in the DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I like their dark roast. But $3 for one cup is not gonna happen unless it's an emergency. And yes, there is such a thing as a coffee emergency!
I agree, which is why we buy the beans (either in a Starbucks or on eBay, where you can find 5 pound bags) and brew it at home. It’s a cultural Mecca though, always filled with mostly younger people sipping their beverages and using the WiFi. I imagine it will be the same in Downtown Center, nice mall, been there several times.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
They will charge what they charge in the USA and they will soon have 5-6 locations through the city. The business model has worked throughout Central America and will work in RD as long as there is good Wifi and the prices are high enough to keep out poor people while maintain exclusivity

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Only ever had Starbucks in airports where it's a question of having to choose between plastic places selling overpriced crap anyway. I don't drink milky coffees and their cafe Americano was truly dreadful. The snacks were okay though.

Reactions: bienamor

gladlola

Apr 14, 2020
honestly it is very good coffee, but god, the prices !
good for those who can afford them, I personally could not afford a daily coffee expense in this place

• Haha

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Venezuelan but resident in Santiago Luis Vallejo visited the second Starbucks in the DR. This one is at Acropolis Center.

The video is in Spanish, but even he noticed the pricing which is higher than the competition and the tastes are similar.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
it's the only place i've visited that isn't a serviced restaurant that does not have the prices included in the price. It's rather costly.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Am I the only person here who likes Starbucks coffee? We buy their whole bean espresso for our machine from time to time, it’s my favorite (Mr AE prefers Lavazza)
I suppose so. I dislike it quite a bit. This is like bringing ice to Eskimos - dirty ice...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
lol

Well, someone needs to like them. They are still in business, soon in the DR too. Nothing says it more clearly that it is what people want than offering it for a price and having lots of money in the bank due to that. The best vote people make is with their money.
There is no accounting for taste. At least when it comes to the poor taste of Starbucks coffee.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
There is no accounting for taste. At least when it comes to the poor taste of Starbucks coffee.

I like the taste of their dark roast. I don't like paying $3 a cup for black coffee. It's not a must have.

I don't know about the DR, but the last time I was in the states the drive thru lines were out on the street on multiple occasions.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Only ever had Starbucks in airports where it's a question of having to choose between plastic places selling overpriced crap anyway. I don't drink milky coffees and their cafe Americano was truly dreadful. The snacks were okay though.
I drink my coffee black, no sugar and have always found Starbucks coffee to be bitter. I would take my daughters because they love their mocha latte vanilla espresso whatevers but for me Duncan Donuts has a MUCH better coffee and I don't have to pay for it in installments.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I like Starbucks breakfast blend.
I have not purchased it here in 🇩🇴
Starbucks coffee is high priced.
But what I have seen here in the 🇩🇴
It is a place to bee seen and it has free wifi
But actually my favorite thing at Starbucks is their Tazo Green Tea (iced)
For me it is road trip fuel and tastes great.
It is a splurge for me during those times so I drop the 💵
I agree with the expat guy (a very rare thing) about Dunkin Donuts having MUCH better coffee at lower prices‼️

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Wait, is that place used be TGIF's?
TGIF is in Acropolis(or was). We're talking about the new Starbucks in Downtown Center. On the right when you walk in the main door.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Am I the only person here who likes Starbucks coffee? We buy their whole bean espresso for our machine from time to time, it’s my favorite (Mr AE prefers Lavazza)
In my part of the USA... the best coffee is Dunn Brothers, most people there put Starbucks last...

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
In my part of the USA... the best coffee is Dunn Brothers, most people there put Starbucks last...

Always empty.

Just as its sister Nike Factory, but hey, we have a Nike Factory in the DR proclaim the useless idiots!

But hey, the DR has another shiny thing!

BTW, what's the price of eggs, bread, platanos, etc, etc?

We don't care, we applaud however Starbucks!

Great logic some of these folks possess.

"Stupid is as stupid does."

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Always empty.

Just as its sister Nike Factory, but hey, we have a Nike Factory in the DR proclaim the useless idiots!

But hey, the DR has another shiny thing!

BTW, what's the price of eggs, bread, platanos, etc, etc?

We don't care, we applaud however Starbucks!

Great logic some of these folks possess.

"Stupid is as stupid does."
And of course you cant fix stupid.......