Staying in Las Galeras, several questions

CayoPyrat

Nov 24, 2011
Please bear with me, but I've got a few inquiries regarding an upcoming visit. We are staying in Las Galeras for 10 nights and have some logistical things to work out:
1. We are taking a bus from SD up to LG, and will pretty much walk/hike anywhere, but is there is a benefit to renting bikes or motorcycles for a day or two (or longer) while we are there?
2. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and allergic to seafood and various other things, please tell me we can find somewhere to eat that can accommodate her diet.
3. Are there any fishing charters out of the LG area? I'd especially like to do some spearfishing as well.
4. We especially like to explore the off the beaten track beaches, towns etc. Any hints?
Thanks for any thoughts or insights, we are super low key travelers and are very excited to visit what seems to be a hidden gem in the DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dump the girlfriend! Then find a temp and have some fun eating and fishing and foolin' around!!
Jeesssh!

HB

CayoPyrat

Nov 24, 2011
Dump my girlfriend? Since she's footing the bill so my wife won't find out, I don't think so.

But many thanks for the great insight.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
FISHING contact Las Galeras and other info

Hey, Try this contact out for fishing. I wanted to go oh so badly, but did not have time. This contact was given to us by the manager of the house we rented. Casa Dorado, Las Galeras, Dominican Republic

Good beaches, almost deserted much of the time, are Rincon, Fronton and Madama among others. We visited Madama by horse and boat, and Rincon by car, (it is a bad, bad road- you need a 4WD, especially after the rains of the hurricane) but you can also take a boat or get there by ATV. We hiked and also took a boat to Fronton. Playa Rincon has a cool, clear river that empties into it, which is interesting. There are freshwaer cichlids in it. Playa Madama, however, was my favorite. You will see why!!

There is a freshwater lake on the way to Playa Rincon, and also an iguana conservation project. We did not have time to visit both of these, but I want to.

For restaurants, there was a good French restaurant on the main drag, and DEFINITELY go to El Cabito restaurant. Google it. There is about a 50 ft cliff you can jump off of there, and they also have incredible food. The owner is from Berlin, I believe.