Stealing Phone Minutes

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm in the same boat as you judy. I have a plan though, kind of a redundant backup for the times that the house internet takes a vacation. If you have Orange service available, you can always give that company a try. I have nothing bad to say about them where as Claro is a completely different story.

The only time my phone rings is for a wrong number. I would have thought the posters I put up all over town offering to be a friend for anyone who is lonely and has beer would have produced more favorable results. Maybe they have and my poor Spanish just leads me to believe these are wrong number calls...

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
Everyone round here with Claro gets offers on the phone every so often. The phone shows OK or back. Even when the keys are locked, Claro by-passes this and you can press the ok button while the phone is in your pocket. You end up paying 5 to 10 pesos for each notification after that. I just had it cancelled in the head office but I still got a message asking if I wanted it turned back on. People only noticed when their 100 pesos only lasted a couple of days when they hadn't used their phones. I ended up turning my phone off when I was traveling.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Stealing minutes

Everyone round here with Claro gets offers on the phone every so often. The phone shows OK or back. Even when the keys are locked, Claro by-passes this and you can press the ok button while the phone is in your pocket. You end up paying 5 to 10 pesos for each notification after that. I just had it cancelled in the head office but I still got a message asking if I wanted it turned back on. People only noticed when their 100 pesos only lasted a couple of days when they hadn't used their phones. I ended up turning my phone off when I was traveling.

This has happened several times. An app
gets installed and it costs you 100 pesos a day and you don't even know it. Went to Clark yesterday and they removed them all. This has cost us thousands of pesos

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
DRperson,

More detail please. What app, who installed it, where did it come from, what is the app supposed to do? They removed what exactly. What specifically you ask the clerk to do?

Thx.

SkyBlues

Apr 8, 2011
Same thing happened to me, had to call Claro Ayuda Prepago at *91 to cancel the messages. Even with my bad Spanish I asked them to check if I had accidentally subscribed to any other offers and to cancel them too. Be prepared to wait ages for them to pick up.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is an app on all Claro phones. It is called Sim Toolkit. You need to go into it and disable Ideas Click.

It does not matter the phone or where you got it. Just that you are connected to Claro.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Stealing minutes

DRperson,

More detail please. What app, who installed it, where did it come from, what is the app supposed to do? They removed what exactly. What specifically you ask the clerk to do?

Thx.

I don't know what the name is but it sends you messages. My wife doesn't know either. It is a total sneaky rip off.
We went to the claro office in puerto plata and they took care of it

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not sure about Claro but I know some people are running a scam in the DR where they call pretending to be from your
service provider saying you have won 5,000 peso credit and all they need to do is get some "additional information"
from you to make sure it is applied to your account. I received one of these phone calls the other day while riding in the public
car and the driver informed of what the caller was attempting to do after I hung up on the guy who called me.