Steve's Corner Bar renovations

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Anyone been to Steve's cerca Plaza Bavaro in the last month or so? I like the new, longer bar; not sure I like the new corner where you can only get in or out the one way, but overall I think the changes are for the better.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
I don't like it, I used to like the raised back end, and the decor on the new renovation makes the place look really cheap and grotty. The extra toilets are in but the back end (if there is intention) is not finished, unless the intention is only to put in toilets.
He is also losing control of the kind of girls he allows in. Always had working girls hanging out but now there seems to be no control of the type of working girl he allows to hang out, again leaving a cheap and grotty taste. It's losing itself and will end up nasty if he doesn't put the breaks on things, maybe a sign of the boss and his personal direction in life also. Not saying anything other than every time I see him he is looking more and more wrecked up, DR (not exclusively) does that to so many new bar owners in few years.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
...maybe a sign of the boss and his personal direction in life also. Not saying anything other than every time I see him he is looking more and more wrecked up, DR (not exclusively) does that to so many new bar owners in few years.

Could it be that the owner has issues with alcohol? I read in an article in GQ magazine that a high percentage of expats worldwide who move to tropical climates like the DR (over 70% by their estimation) wind up as alcoholics when they relocate.

PapiGonzalez

Banned
Jul 21, 2014
It is not for me to say, this is why I didn't, but kind of the general direction of my comment. He has made a lot of new 'friends' as do so many bar owners due to the nature of the business, friends who like to drink.

And I do not think we need GQ mag to know that this is the case, it takes a very disciplined certain type of character to be a successful bar owner. One business I would say where if you are weak in terms of restraint, best not to be a hands on owner, which in the DR is not a wise idea. In DR you must be hands on with your business otherwise holes begin to appear in finances among other things which comes down to taking the pi$$.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
And for the record, the point of my inquiry was opinions about the new renovations. Business practices and auxiliary enterprises are not my concern, as long as my drink orders are cold and timely.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There's "another" back room, the business next door is gone and has been opened up to STeve's

Which makes sense, since there's going to be a kitchen, there must be a place to store food and beer (you really can't keep those in an actual working kitchen and expect any efficiency of delivery).

Domdream

Jul 26, 2014
I was there last week. The place looks good. New bar stretching into the old gift shop.There was a new manager playing some really nice music. They even seemed to have cleaned out some of the old girls with some new ones.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I plan on going to Steve's next month when I go to Punta Cana on business, MONKEY BUSINESS!!!!!!
I will give a repost then !!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I plan on going to Steve's next month when I go to Punta Cana on business, MONKEY BUSINESS!!!!!!
I will give a repost then !!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Make sure you check out the Drink Bar just around the corner.

redserge

Jan 30, 2011
I have never been to Steve's in the five years I have been visiting punta cana. I will be back February 2015 for two months perhaps I will
drop in!