Storing Car in DR for months???

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Wooden Mystery

a. if your garage has a concrete floor then you should position wooden slats, like plywood under each tire to keep them round.

c. take the battery out, put it in the house in the closet, on a piece of wood.

What does the wood do? :confused:

donP

Aug 6, 2006

donP
==================================================
When battery cases were made of different materials, leaving a battery on cement tended to drain the battery. A battery on cement in freezing weather will tend to get colder. Wood serves as insulation. Cold is not good for batteries. It is unlikely that
freezing is likely going to be a problem in the DR. This might be helpful.

HowStuffWorks "How to Store a Car Battery"

Jan 9, 2004

donP

Nothing....unless the concrete floor is stained by gasoline or petroleum product residue. Petroleum residues have a detrimental effect on tires. If the floor is stained from previous leakage, you can use plastic sheeting, cardboard, plywood etc. If the floor is "wet" in the areas where the tires will sit, plastic or plywood works fine.

As to battery storage, putting it on a piece of wood does nothing....and is not necessary.
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
==================================================
When battery cases were made of different materials, leaving a battery on cement tended to drain the battery. A battery on cement in freezing weather will tend to get colder. Wood serves as insulation. Cold is not good for batteries. It is unlikely that
freezing is likely going to be a problem in the DR. This might be helpful.

HowStuffWorks "How to Store a Car Battery"

XO:

She is in the Caribbean....she wants it colder/cooler....and the best place is in the open on concrete. For a battery, heat is more detrimental than cold.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Apr 7, 2014

donP

For the tires, concrete is a non-yielding non-compressible surface so over time the tires will become flat in those areas. If you have a finished floor you would see the tire tread become part of the floor surface when you do move the car. Also at that spot on the tire it will be no longer round. You d hear this when you drove the car and everytime you go to that flat spot you d hear "b-lap, b-lap, b-lap". It may go away but you would probably have to have the tires re-balanced and redistribute the wheel weights to compensate for your flat spot AND where the tire was glued together at the factory. The wood is a compressible medium under the weight of the car allowing the tire to retain its shape(also keeping tire treads from appearing on your finished floor). The surface of the wood takes the pressure from the tire.

For the battery, the wood keeps the temperature of the floor from affecting the battery case. All car batteries now are Maintenance Free. They dont require distilled water to be added but they still have the same vents on them under the "sealed" caps. If you put the battery on a concrete floor and the floor gets hot from immediate sunlight, because concrete is essentially like stone, then the heat could transfer to the bottom of the case and then you could have electrolytic loss or cell sulfation. The wood acts as a minute temperature buffer between the floor and the battery AND also keeps your floor from suffering the effects of sulfuric acid if the battery vents excessively while you are away. And dont forget the case is plastic and it can crack because hot weather battery have thinner cases than cold weather batteries. Do a simple search on the Sears Auto website and you will see that they offer every battery in a North environment and a South environment. The difference is the case.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Poison is the best solution ! Keeps the rats from extensive damage ! If u trust a human where u are have them start up the car or ? Every two weeks for five minutes ... Move it a few yards or more if u can once amonth to lubricate the chassis a little ! Bare minimum

Jan 9, 2004
For the tires, concrete is a non-yielding non-compressible surface so over time the tires will become flat in those areas. If you have a finished floor you would see the tire tread become part of the floor surface when you do move the car. Also at that spot on the tire it will be no longer round. You d hear this when you drove the car and everytime you go to that flat spot you d hear "b-lap, b-lap, b-lap". It may go away but you would probably have to have the tires re-balanced and redistribute the wheel weights to compensate for your flat spot AND where the tire was glued together at the factory. The wood is a compressible medium under the weight of the car allowing the tire to retain its shape(also keeping tire treads from appearing on your finished floor). The surface of the wood takes the pressure from the tire.

Can you cite to some reputable source that supports the premise conerning putting wood under tires "allowing the tire to retain its shape."

For the battery, the wood keeps the temperature of the floor from affecting the battery case. All car batteries now are Maintenance Free. They dont require distilled water to be added but they still have the same vents on them under the "sealed" caps. If you put the battery on a concrete floor and the floor gets hot from immediate sunlight, because concrete is essentially like stone, then the heat could transfer to the bottom of the case and then you could have electrolytic loss or cell sulfation. The wood acts as a minute temperature buffer between the floor and the battery AND also keeps your floor from suffering the effects of sulfuric acid if the battery vents excessively while you are away. And dont forget the case is plastic and it can crack because hot weather battery have thinner cases than cold weather batteries. Do a simple search on the Sears Auto website and you will see that they offer every battery in a North environment and a South environment. The difference is the case.

Your premise on concrete heating up would be correct if the concrete was exposed to direct sunlight. However, I believe the garage of the OP is enclosed and in such case the coolest portion of the garage would be at or on floor level. In her case, the concrete floor would actually be cool to the touch and ideal for preserving battery life. So putting the battery on wood may raise the temperature....exactly what you do not want in a tropical climate.

And while I agree that a cracked battery case, leaking battery acid, on a concrete floor would cause the battery to discharge faster, that is a rare exception.

And while I agree that northern batteries have thicker cases than southern batteries, (note the OP shipped her car from near home NY/NJ so presumably it has a northern battery, the difference is not just the case.

Northern batteries contain more internal plates than southern batteries. The reason and the real difference in the two types of batteries is CCA's. Batteries made for northern climates need more cold cranking amps to start the car in severe weather. That requires more internal plates....and thus a thicker case to hold the extra plates/extra weight.

The difference is way more than the case.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
oooooo la la,
I have left cars for 6-7 months and had no problems... nothing like what your talking about

many people overthink this stuff -- way overthink

I have been doing this for years.. since 2006.... various cars, various countries including Canada on a concrete floor

the thumping goes away fast.... even in cold weather and is not permanent

May 5, 2007
oooooo la la,
I have left cars for 6-7 months and had no problems... nothing like what your talking about

many people overthink this stuff -- way overthink

I have been doing this for years.. since 2006.... various cars, various countries including Canada on a concrete floor

the thumping goes away fast.... even in cold weather and is not permanent

I believe they must be talking about experiences with the old nylon tires, they would deform permanently I don't think you will have that issue with steel radials

A friend had an old 34' R/V we used to take on camping/hunting trips, it would sit all season and then in the Fall we would head out For about 50 miles those big ole 22.5 14 ply tires would thump so bad everything not bolted to the frame would fall off inside, and some things that were bolted fell off also. It really felt like you were driving down the railroad straddling the rails and riding the ties After 50 miles or so, depending on OAT they would settle down but I can't help but think long term damage occurred

American Gallego

Feb 21, 2013
When I left once for 3 months, I put one cat in the truck, and one more inside.
No rat, or mice, damage when I got back!
But the stench was unbearable!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"AE",...."Google" is your friend!
The info here is all over the place, some good, some not good, much of it contradictory!
Your car makers website may be of help?????????

Were the cats alive?