Strange Exchange Rate

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
I was in D.R. from Nov.13 - 27'th. During that time the peso exchange rate varied from 25 - 28 pesos to 1 USD.

I was quite surprised at POP airport after passing through security and going to the departure area to find that the exchange rate was 35 - 1. Everywhere inside the airport.....from the Duty Free vendors to the coffee shops and restaurants the rate was 35 - 1. However, outside the airport it was 27 - 1.

Why such a big difference ( better rate ) when you're leaving the country?

Dwight

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
A little secret!

That was 35 PESOs to BUY $US Dollars!
Tourists that want to get rid of Pesos pay that rate.
You will only get 29 to sell.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes...of course you would be angry...

to find out that you entered the country with dollars to exchange and had to exchange them at 29 to 1. Then you go to leave the country and you have pesos to exchange for dollars. You have to give them up at 35 to 1.

Trick is not to have a lot of pesos when you leave the country.

As a tourist there will be several ways that your money is stolen from you. There are all kinds of sneaky tricks while you are here. But you have to factor it all out and decide if the overall trip was good value for the money. If it was good value then smile. If not, then you can decide not to return and you can tell everyone about your experience.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
This concept is not Dominican specific.
It is just a little more exagerated.
Every currency market has a bid and an offer.

Last edited:

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
WOW....thanks for the info. This exchange business can be really confusing for those of us that don't have to "deal" with it on a regular basis.

Vacations should be for relaxing.....not doing "math" problems. It's like summer school....but with beer...and a beach! haha. Ooh, my head hurts...from the mental math excercises of course.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Just remember Dwight;

for the locals - your vacation is all about you having a good time (hopefully) and them making lotes of M-O-N-E-Y.

Gregg