Strike makes conditions very dangerous today- STAY AT HOME!!

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Jetblue send out fee waivers to book new flights to the DR sounds like they have no flights going in cause as they say no public transportation they think it will be over on tues asking to rebook then.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We will see what happens as evening sets in and the rum has taken over.

There won't be any problem in Sosua. It was the same when I lived in Samana. Other than no publlic transport and some of the businesses closes, a normal day.

Just got back from a walk along Pedro Clisante . More businesses open than closed. Even banks were open today.

All is calm in Sosua and I expect it to stay that way.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Peace and quite, went into town because flybox was hicking up and finally gave up...sigh lol
Very calm and Orange was open. They said to us that we got to drive to Santiago to get flybox repaired and we said, ARE YOU NUTS, THERE IS A NATIONAL STRIKE GOING ON RIGHT NOW! Calm and polite but firm and in Spanish. We got their spare one and they are going to bring our broken one theirselves to Santiago to get repaired :)

luzcace

Aug 19, 2004
www.luzcace.info
Never saw Puerto Plata like this afternoon at 5.30. clean, quiet, hardly any vehicles on the streets, reminds me how it was about 15-20 years ago.

May 12, 2005
While there are serious issues affecting the country that need attention, these strikes are just an excuse for every ladrone and tiguere to cause mayhem and act like savages.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
Yes, it is another normal day in La vega. It was very silent all day. I heard somewhere they burnt the tyres. Most of the supermarkets, colmados and restaurant were closed today. Except las Sirena. i went there to buy my dinner and i was very hungry. But to my disappointment they sold me spoilt food.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Peace and quite, went into town because flybox was hicking up and finally gave up...sigh lol
Very calm and Orange was open. They said to us that we got to drive to Santiago to get flybox repaired and we said, ARE YOU NUTS, THERE IS A NATIONAL STRIKE GOING ON RIGHT NOW! Calm and polite but firm and in Spanish. We got their spare one and they are going to bring our broken one theirselves to Santiago to get repaired :)
Acira , what in the world is a fly box ? I still can't find the article on salts but I remember the title now (I think) " salt 101" and I will try to find the article in cooking light archives tomorrow. Maybe you should have asked the guy that fixes the fly box what he knows about salt. lol

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Yes, it is another normal day in La vega. It was very silent all day. I heard somewhere they burnt the tyres. Most of the supermarkets, colmados and restaurant were closed today. Except las Sirena. i went there to buy my dinner and i was very hungry. But to my disappointment they sold me spoilt food.

Their food seems to have gotten much worse over the past year...

Damyan

Jun 19, 2011
I may be a little late here, but for the record, I believe this strike was much more than just "street punks" thugging it out for a day. The amount of taxes, tariffs, duties, etc taking place in this country are beyond anything I have ever seen in my life -not even in the US. You buy something and 1. You're getting it more expensive than what its really worth, half the time. 2. Most likely with bad service; 3. Add a little bit of ITBIS (17%); 4. Add a "little" bit of Ley (16% as "mandated" by his Holyness); combined with super minimum wage + for every 2k of gas you buy $800 goes to his Holyness; plus education cuts and an unconstitutional lack of support for a constitutionally-backed and postulated 4% increase on education; PLUS 8% hike in electricity (for a company that purposefully gives BAD service by cutting out the lights depending on where you live); add to that a disgruntled LE outfit which gets paid barely the minimum, who consequently are only out to kick @#$ and take names and you've got an EXPLOSIVE situation. Mind you now that, even though his Holyness has done a few things -according to some- to benefit the country, I'd say that in light of the above, COUPLED with an obscure and unknown fact (regarding outrageous state bond liquidations) and things will be looking much worse in a few years if things keep heading in the same direction. If anybody knows about how these things work (fiscally and economically) they get the picture. Whoever's in power between 2014 and 2020 will truly have their hands full trying to re-arm this jigsaw puzzle cuz they wont know what hit em. As everyone saw, everything operated the way it NORMALLY is SUPPOSED TO today: no idiot at the electric company pulling the plug on electricity; super efficient police and fire rescue on this day; the government actually caring about the ramifications of this strike by trying to buy the poor -giving 'em $27 million pesos worth of food (via the country's high level corporate players/corps, whom will somehow find a way to hit us with the bill when its all over and done! Now mind you, I have no complaints about paying duties and whatnot, but just because I can does that make it bearable? There are people who have to survive off of scraps as a result of this abusive political "doctrine...." <------------ Just some food for thought

sush

Mar 9, 2011
Depressing, but lucky for me I a had a good day yesterday then...

"Regular life", hmm, nothing I have seen so far over here seems regular to me (apart from the glassbubble existence in the AI resorts)...

well what is regular for me might not be for you, what you call regular and what you usually do is probably what you doing right now :)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I was all over the city of Santo Domingo yesterday. There were police everywhere and there was no trouble. By Albert Thomas and Ovando there was a huge gathering of ninjas, the black uniformed shock police, and a large, disorganized but peaceful crowd of young males failing to stare them down.

There were kids and young adults playing stickball everywhere.

There were no mini-busses, busses, or trucks. There were no public cars except for the occasional rogue who was probably risking retaliation from the syndico by being out. Many of the motorcyle 'taxis' that gather at the edge of the barrios were operating. In other words no brutos on the main streets.

There was less traffic than a Sunday.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Never saw Puerto Plata like this afternoon at 5.30. clean, quiet, hardly any vehicles on the streets, reminds me how it was about 15-20 years ago.

Peace and quiet in Puerto Plata cause everyone came to the beach in Costambar....lol. Beach was full today

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I may be a little late here, but for the record, I believe this strike was much more than just "street punks" thugging it out for a day. The amount of taxes, tariffs, duties, etc taking place in this country are beyond anything I have ever seen in my life -not even in the US. You buy something and 1. You're getting it more expensive than what its really worth, half the time. 2. Most likely with bad service; 3. Add a little bit of ITBIS (17%); 4. Add a "little" bit of Ley (16% as "mandated" by his Holyness); combined with super minimum wage + for every 2k of gas you buy $800 goes to his Holyness; plus education cuts and an unconstitutional lack of support for a constitutionally-backed and postulated 4% increase on education; PLUS 8% hike in electricity (for a company that purposefully gives BAD service by cutting out the lights depending on where you live); add to that a disgruntled LE outfit which gets paid barely the minimum, who consequently are only out to kick @#$ and take names and you've got an EXPLOSIVE situation. Mind you now that, even though his Holyness has done a few things -according to some- to benefit the country, I'd say that in light of the above, COUPLED with an obscure and unknown fact (regarding outrageous state bond liquidations) and things will be looking much worse in a few years if things keep heading in the same direction. If anybody knows about how these things work (fiscally and economically) they get the picture. Whoever's in power between 2014 and 2020 will truly have their hands full trying to re-arm this jigsaw puzzle cuz they wont know what hit em. As everyone saw, everything operated the way it NORMALLY is SUPPOSED TO today: no idiot at the electric company pulling the plug on electricity; super efficient police and fire rescue on this day; the government actually caring about the ramifications of this strike by trying to buy the poor -giving 'em $27 million pesos worth of food (via the country's high level corporate players/corps, whom will somehow find a way to hit us with the bill when its all over and done! Now mind you, I have no complaints about paying duties and whatnot, but just because I can does that make it bearable? There are people who have to survive off of scraps as a result of this abusive political "doctrine...." <------------ Just some food for thought

Great analysis of the state of things.

The commander of the Cibao Police General Juan Ram?n de la Cruz Mart?nez shared a sancocho meal and played domino with the local organisers of the 'strike'.

El general De la Cruz Mart?nez juega domin? y come sancocho con dirigentes del Falpo - List?n Diario Digital

donP

What a country! That's better than sending in a bunch of underpaid, poorly trained cops with guns blazing.

A total waste of time that accomplished nothing.

I'm not sure about that. I think the whole thing caused a collective tightening of the administration's sphincter.

This from yesterday's DR1 news:

Strike quiets administration
The successful national strike has left the administration "dumbfounded" according to Hoy newspaper. President Leonel Fernandez, VP Rafael Alburquerque or any other administration official was prepared to comment on the event that shut down the country for a day. The President arrived at his office at 9:35am and no one else was seen entering his office until 2pm. At the same time, Vice President Rafael Alburquerque, who usually meets with the President mid-morning, did not go there and when asked why not, he answered that he was preparing a report...

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The strike caused nothing more than people losing money. Many employees could not get to work, therefore no pay check. The employers not having employees or customers, therefore no sales. Transportation companies not working, therefore no revenue. The goverment having to employ the use of the army...more money spent. All and all the strike did nothing but give people a vacation day and will have no affect.

Read here: http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...ent-tells-strikers-it-wont-meet-their-demands