STRONG dollar. How hard will it hit the DR??

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
One correction: The Sapphire Reserve has a $550.00 annual fee..........not $95.00. But they provide a $300.00 annual statement credit for any travel................making this, even at that price worth it for many users.

The Sapphire Preferred is $95.00 per year............but you still get the 60,000 bonus points with your spending.

Here is a head to head comparison;

Either card is a great addition.....depending on your spending habits.....and both have no out of country transaction fees.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Sold! I will reverse my initial out of hand dismissal, thanks to you for sharing the benefits of membership. I didn't even considered looking. The perks do look very appealing. The best fit for me is the Sapphire preferred. I think I'll call Monday and apply over the phone since it'll be much easier for me than applying online. I'm an old costumer they already have all my info on their computers, makes life easier that way. Thanks again to all.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I have 2 Chase Cards. Although they are for specific brands, Amazon and United neither charge foreign transaction fees. Actually, I like the Amazon card since we order a lot from Amazon and the points add up quickly.
Hmmm. Did you apply on the Amazon site for it? Is it the Amazon rewards visa card? I shop a lot on amazon and seen the, apply for credit card banner, there and they've pitched them to me at checkout but I've never considered it. Good option thanks for sharing

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The best exchange rates when exchanging cash have been at my banks but only when exchanging 5000 USD or more.
It has been a long time since I have exchanged smaller amounts of cash.
Preferring to just hit the ATM when I need a little"effectivo" for those type of transactions ;)

But in pinch, I have hit Caribe express because I have never had a good "casa de cambio" in my pocket that I trusted.
I see great rates advertised but they seem to always be in sketchy locations.
out on the east end there are a few good exchange houses Honest with me I don't know about other folks

Jan 9, 2004
Sold! I will reverse my initial out of hand dismissal, thanks to you for sharing the benefits of membership. I didn't even considered looking. The perks do look very appealing. The best fit for me is the Sapphire preferred. I think I'll call Monday and apply over the phone since it'll be much easier for me than applying online. I'm an old costumer they already have all my info on their computers, makes life easier that way. Thanks again to all.
As long as you have had your other Chase card for 4 years (48 months), you can upgrade to Sapphire or Reserve and receive all the perks mentioned.

It is/they are, at least for myself, the absolute best cards out there......................either of them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Hmmm. Did you apply on the Amazon site for it? Is it the Amazon rewards visa card? I shop a lot on amazon and seen the, apply for credit card banner, there and they've pitched them to me at checkout but I've never considered it. Good option thanks for sharing
Yes, and as I remember we directly applied via Amazon. The rewards add up if you shop a lot with Amazon as we do. IMO the only reason to get a credit card with an annual fee is if the benefits outweigh the annual fee. We had a credit card (Citi) that had an annual fee however our traveling habits changed and the benefits that the card provided just did not warrant the annual fee any longer. We changed the card (not always an option) to one without an annual fee/less benefits.

Jan 9, 2004
Yes, and as I remember we directly applied via Amazon. The rewards add up if you shop a lot with Amazon as we do. IMO the only reason to get a credit card with an annual fee is if the benefits outweigh the annual fee. We had a credit card (Citi) that had an annual fee however our traveling habits changed and the benefits that the card provided just did not warrant the annual fee any longer. We changed the card (not always an option) to one without an annual fee/less benefits.
Absolutely. That is why people should read the perks offered and see if it fits their lifestyle before applying.

I also carry the Barclays Jetblue Mastercard. It has a $95.00 annual fee. However, you receive 5,000 bonus points ($50.00+ value) on your anniversary date and your first checked bag each way (normally $35.00 per bag) or anyone traveling under your reservation (up to 4) also get their first bag free.

Just returned from the DR and between the points and savings on just one trip..........that $95.00 fee was more than paid for.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My wife has the Amazon card.... we redeemed 7,500 points last month

We both have the Sapphire and the United QUEST card (both Chase).... and the Jet Blue

The Sapphire points can be applied to most airlines so the Jet Blue card is rarely used.

We accumulate Sapphire points & United points..... QUEST has larger benefits than Sapphire for us

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
checked bag each way (normally $35.00 per bag) or anyone traveling under your reservation (up to 4) also get their first bag free.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

ONLY flights within CONUS get that perk, please clarify it.

Flights OCONUS do not get free bags, period.

Jan 9, 2004
ONLY flights within CONUS get that perk, please clarify it.

Flights OCONUS do not get free bags, period.
All flights, at least to the DR, using the Jetblue Plus Mastercard ($95.00 fee) get the first bag free as well as 3 companions if on the same reservation. I just did it and have been using the card whenever I book Jetblue to the DR...........and have never paid a bag fee.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Radical

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
If that is indeed the case, its a great deal.

Will look into it and get that card if these perks are included. The annual fee will pay for itself in just a trip for a couple with at least a checked bag.

Jan 9, 2004
If that is indeed the case, its a great deal.

Will look into it and get that card if these perks are included. The annual fee will pay for itself in just a trip for a couple with at least a checked bag.
Exactly.

Here you go.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The card game can be complicated..... but if you study it , it pays big benefits

Loyalty is the key word... A loyalty card

Jan 9, 2004
The card game can be complicated..... but if you study it , it pays big benefits

Loyalty is the key word... A loyalty card
I have several cards but defer to Jetblue and Chase Sapphire Reserve. To the DR, I book Jetblue non-stop on my JB card...............but I use my Priority Pass perk with Chase Sapphire Reserve to go into the airport lounges and grab a complimentary snack and cold drink and relax before the flight.

For those with the Priority Pass from Chase Sapphire Reserve and traveling from PUJ, if you have a long wait for your flight or it is somehow delayed............the airport lounge has in addition to fantastic food................the use of the infinity pool. PUJ probably has some the best perks of any airport lounge.............at least the ones with which I am familiar.

Melts away those cares about the peso/dollar relationship.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
For those with the Priority Pass from Chase Sapphire Reserve and traveling from PUJ, if you have a long wait for your flight or it is somehow delayed............the airport lounge has in addition to fantastic food................the use of the infinity pool. PUJ probably has some the best perks of any airport lounge.............at least the ones with which I am familiar.

Melts away those cares about the peso/dollar relationship.

This is true …our Chase Sapphire Priority Pass works perfectly for us …sometimes….but it depends on which airport lounge….and how busy they are …

On our PUJ > GRU 🇧🇷 or LHR🇬🇧 …trips …perfect! …hardly anyone in the PUJ lounge…the kids eat and are relaxed ….

…..but imagine the chaos …around this time last year… for example …at SJU airport lounge …most flights delayed for hours (because the pilots wanted to watch the Italy/England soccer finals😁) …full lounge..soccer fans…screaming kids …😩….MTY ,MIA and BCN lounges are usually full most of the time too …defeats the idea of a ‘VIP lounge’ ….so we don’t place too much value on the Priorty Pass perk.

…...the “ no foreign transaction fee” in DR …and worldwide…is probably the best perk of the Chase Sapphire IMO.

And..for us …Bank of America is not as bad as Chase for debit card transactions in DR ..free withdrawals from Scotia Bank ATMs…I think 🤔

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The Jet Blue & the Quest cards are airline cards

Their biggest plus is the number of points they award for buying tickets with them