stupid mosquito question

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Culex quinquefasciatus

Another mosquito to worry about, the Culex quinquefasciatus is vector for lymphatic filariasis, and the entire RD population in the border provinces are at risk....

Listin.com.do

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I took them the last time I went to the DR only because I was going to Africa when I was getting back. It was in the time span required. I've never had a problem and I take the type that can cause hallucinations. Lariam. I take them 1X a week.

You can still get malaria while taking the pills. I don't take them for the DR but for South America and Africa I do and I haven't had a problem.

I came back not feeling well so Tuesday I go to the Dr. to find out if I have contracted anything!!!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Miradors article that he posted should be of major interest to those living in the western part of the country. Also articles concerning this disease can be found here and here.

Rick

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Speaking of malaria pills... [My doctor] said he didn't take them when he went but that isn't saying much either.
Any advice?

Err... What better advice do you want?

Your doctor is saying he doesn't think the risk of malaria is worth the risks associated with the medication so he didn't bother. But he covered his ass in case you get unlucky, you can't sue him!

For the north coast, malaria is almost unheard of. Bavaro area there are sporadic outbreaks. Personally, I don't take anti-malarial meds when I go to Cabarete, I did when I went to a high risk area of Vietnam. For me, it's a case of doing a personal risk assessment. Malaria can kill or at least be very debilitating. Meds can cause nausea & vomiting (frequently) through to hallucinations and suicidal ideation (very rare). If the chances of catching it are very low, then precautions to reduce bites in the first place is probably better than the risk of damage from meds. If chance of catching it is high, you'd be dumb not to take them, side effects and all.

Simple risk assessment

[degree of risk x likelihood of risk=level of risk avoidance required]

thus, high risk x high likelihood of death or serious injury=LOTS of risk avoidance/safety measures
[climbing a mountain x 'you die if you fall'=ropes, helmets, good insurance cover etc]

very low risk x high likelihood of death etc='forget it'
[being hit by a meteor while walking down the road x 'yup, that'll kill you'=ignore the risk, get on with life, if it happens... you're stuffed.

Think all your different risks through like that and you get to your own answer for your own personal risk management. My personal risk assessment suggests that I'm WAY more at risk from a road traffic accident in the Dom Rep than I am from malaria. I won't get on a moto-concho [reducing risk] but still travel by gua-gua etc.

hope that makes sense rather than sounding like I'm disappearing up my own arse... again!

Last edited: