Subway is open in Santiago

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Employee gratification

Back in 1997 watched a scene in a poor family casita in Sto. Dgo.
The father, obiously a subway employee with subway shirt came back from work.
Dumped the contents of a plastic bag over the table: Small slices of about 2 whole subs.
The 3 small kids happily enjoyed their meal. All with much routine and without talking or surprise, so I guess it was the daily dinner.

Not easy to survive in the jungle for both employer and employee.

Alexander

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
The only thing I like about Subway is the tuna!!!!!

Can't beat the sub of the day on flat bread: $2.99 plus tax.

Except Friday's sub of the day: tuna, which is the only thing I dislike about Subway. Looks like vomit, regurgitated by a dog. TWICE. And regurgitated AGAIN!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Can't beat the sub of the day on flat bread: $2.99 plus tax.

Except Friday's sub of the day: tuna, which is the only thing I dislike about Subway. Looks like vomit, regurgitated by a dog. TWICE. And regurgitated AGAIN!

ouch and nasty!!!!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
in the UK i found it to be very cotton like in texture and really tasteless. i am curious how does the bread you had in subway compare to dominican breads in general, in your opinion? better, worse, the same? is it light and airy or heavy and dense?

Most Dominican breads are sawdust to me, I don't eat them. I think Playero in Sosua has decent bread, and Nacional has one bread in their bakery section that is ok. The wholewheat I had in Subway here was just like what they have in Canada - on the heavy/dense side and it tasted like proper bread to me. Definitely better than most DR breads, hopefully it stays that way.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most Dominican breads are sawdust to me, I don't eat them. I think Playero in Sosua has decent bread, and Nacional has one bread in their bakery section that is ok. The wholewheat I had in Subway here was just like what they have in Canada - on the heavy/dense side and it tasted like proper bread to me. Definitely better than most DR breads, hopefully it stays that way.

I agree with you about Dominican bread - it's why I have a breadmaker in my Dominican home. I've always liked Subway's bread - and it helps that it's usually warm when they serve it to you.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
I finally found some very good Dominican bread (Rolls).

Pan Lucky in Santiago has one called "Pan Mantequilla" 6 pack ($55 Pesos).
I like these rolls so much, I often eat a roll right out of the bag by itself.
I buy direct from the Pan Lucky store.

The package has a white sticker date on it, and the packages are usually in front racks.
Hint, look in the back racks, as when they have extra, the fresh ones are in back !!!!!
I think the fresh batch arrives in late afternoon.

I tried "Pan Mantequilla" from Bravo, no comparison to the great ones at Pan Lucky.

Always check the date stamps!

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
SD Subway was only slightly different than the chains in Canada. The main difference I noticed was that they didn't have the usual "sub sauce" or whatever. Their version was called something else but tasted decent. They also didn't have the shredded cheese, only the processed orange and white slices. I don't remember seeing soup or chili on the menu either, just salads. Overall I thought it was very good though. How long has that one been open?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
JD, Everytime I read something like this.....................
I sure am glad I know how to cook..............:D

B in Santiago

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
@Jd. At least you got one half of your Tbone.. and without the bone too ! Thats funny. Back on topic.. My Dominican wife likes the Subway Italian BMT.. slimy meat and all. One of the few non dominican things she will actually eat.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
La Campagna chain in Santiago has superb bread.... on a par with Ireland.

I agree with you about Dominican bread - it's why I have a breadmaker in my Dominican home. I've always liked Subway's bread - and it helps that it's usually warm when they serve it to you.

May 29, 2006
A place like SUBWAY would be importing frozen par-cooked bread and then finishing them in the ovens. There is a sourness to par-baked bread that's a deal breaker for me and very often there's a ton of weird chemicals as dough conditioners. Bromine is a very common additive to flour in the US and it's banned in most of the civilized world. In the last year or so, I've started using *professional* flour for my baking and it's made a world of difference. I now use a high gluten flour with malted barley flour as one of its ingredients. I go through about 50 pounds a year at home.

Excellent book on bread baking. Ten basic recipes and the rest is technique and theory.
Baking Artisan Bread: 10 Expert Formulas for Baking Better Bread at Home by Ciril Hitz | Barnes & Noble

If only SUBWAY took bread as seriously as this guy:
Zen and the art of baguette - YouTube

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Photo of the new Subway:

1524736_675872485780570_1641802224_n.jpg