Successful Relationships!! Dominican Style!

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Jenny And Nidio...A successful love story..

I met my husband in 1992, while I was in Barahona as a missionary. I was just 16 and my hubby was 19. I met his father first, cause he owned the bus company that my group used to get around.. My father in-law and I got close and he introduced me to his children.. As soon as I saw Nidio, I thought he was cute.. I guess he felt the same about me.. cause he started to come around more often..

He would show up at the hotel just to talk.. but I didn't speak spanish and he didn't speak English so we had to use our translator who came with our group.. I didn't know at the time that she was in-love with him too so she used to change my words around.. We held hands and walked all over Barahona.. but when I left after those 3 short weeks, we continued to talk on the phone.. I returned iwth the same group the following year and again when I was 18.. When I was 18, we were sooo sure we were in-love.. I told him I'd move down to be with him after college.. Our Goodbyes were heartwrenching. Somehow somoene told my church that I was with him.. So my church threatened to tell my parents.. i was afraid.. so I called Nidio and broke off our relationship..

He went his way.. and met another girl.. I went my way.. and was engaged to another guy.. When I was 21 I went back down with my fiance.. And my fiance made me gag.. he was complaining of all the things he couldn't live without.. his cellphone, his laptop.. etc..etc.. and I was just sick to my stomach by the way he talked.. so I knew it was over but when I saw my Father In Law, I said.. Please tell Nidio I'm not here.. and make sure he doesn't drive for our group.. I told him I didn't want to see him, I was engaged to be married..etc.. So he agreed.. the last week.. he passed our group on a passola.. Uhm.. well it was love at a glimpse AGAIN.. He followed us back to the hotel, and I introduced my fiance to him.. He was heartbroken.. and I was upset too.. to see him that way.. and to know I was missing out on him.. I knew I wanted to be with him, but didn't think it was possible.. didn't think he could get a visa.. The next day he shows up with his son to introduce him to me.. He was adorable.. but I new that we could never be..

I got home from that trip.. broke up with my fiance and just hung low.. Over time I imagined my life with him.. but never thought it could be reality.. To make a longer story short.. After going through the K-1 Visa, I married the love of my life on July 18, 1998.. And I adopted his son and raised him.. (He was 3)...

The first year of marriage was Hell.. The second year was a disaster.. the Third year brought the birth of my beautiful daughter.. The Fourth year was tough as my mother in-law passed away of colon cancer.. She was a big part of my life..Our love grew and grew for one another.. we truly cared about the other.. and he was my best friend..

We reside in New York now, and have 3 kids with baby #4 due in December.. We have 3 girls and 1 boy.. We went from having nothing and living in apartment to having our own home, and 3.5 beautiful kids!! :) My husband is my bestfriend.. We really enjoy eachother.. It's definately not easy to be married t a Dominican.. but it's also no imposible if your hubby is willing to work things out.. if not.. I can't imagine it!!

So there are definately stories of success out there!!

LoveMyDRHusband

Oct 10, 2005
Well since I am reading all of these wounderful stories I might as well add mine. I met and married a dominican in NY on 2/14/91 I was 21 and he was 32He was so bad that I swore off the race and refused to look at another. I finally divorced him in 4/94.
But the last 6 months of our relationship I used to leave the house to go to a friends all the time. I was there one day and my friend introduced me to her husbands brother in law (more or less) newly in NY I might add so first thing I thought was oh great another one trying to get a green card. My friend would tell me that he says all the time tell her I love her and I have to meet her and so forth and so on. Now since I was swearing off the race for the bad apple I was with I didnt want anything to do with him.
Poor Juan he never really had a chance. But after almost 6 months of always showing up when I came around and always having flowers, kind words, a shoulder to cry on or yell at depending on my mood. We had become friends and I found that I really liked him. I went out on a date with him and that was all she wrote. we courted for a short time than one day we said (after my divorce which he paid for) lets make it offical. We got a gorup of friends together and got married and had a block party that brought the cops around several times.
We have had our ups and downs and even seperated for a while but not to long. And June 30 2005 we drunk wine to our 10th yr as husband and wife. We have an understanding that no one else can figure out and although it has not been so easy all the time we faught, loved, hated, needed, respected each other till we now have a bond that no one can break.He is my rock and I am his. If I need he is there and vise versa. We do not have any kids as I didnt want any in the relationship too fast but now that we have the 10th yr passed we are trying to have some so wish us luck. and this is why i use this name LoveMyDRHusband cause I do with all my heart!!!
Oh and for the record I am fair (wht american)and he is well lets just say he isnt lol.

tampa

Sep 27, 2004
i am very happy with my wife. she was working on the animacion team at paradise beach club in playa dorada. i meet her in 2000 have been married for 4 years very happy. i am in the military deployed sometimes she cries on the phone for missing me. she works two jobs to keep busy. i cant wait to come home and see her. we have never had any promblems. two of my friends in the military in tampa also married dominican women are also having wonderful marriages. we also plan on her first return to dr when i get back. it has been a long time. we are both looking forward to it. and maybe even moving there when i retire. i hope this can give some people encouragement. the visa process does take a long time. and patience i recommend a lawyer for way to much paperwork that could delay your case. ours went quite smoothy used same lawyer for visa, work papers and green card. money well spent. good luck to all.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
It can happen

My husband and I will celebrate our 3rd anniversary this year.:bunny:

We have a beautiful 4 month old son together and are very happy. Despite his faults (oh we are human and both have them!) I love him with all my heart and wouldn't be without him.

It hasn't be an easy ride, the culture differences do crop up but they also enrich our relationship and make it what it is, unique and beautiful.

There is someone for everyone, they might live in the same street or they might live thousands of miles from you, when you find that person you'll know its the real thing. I never believed this until I met my husband, I've always been sceptical but for once I went with my heart and it didn't fail me.;)

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Going on 4 years!!!!

Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting the Dominican Republic, since 1994.
My husband and I will be together 4 years this August, and will be celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary in August. We have a beautiful 2 year old daughter.

As previously mentioned by Saskia, the culture differences can become a factor in any relationship, but as long as both sides are willing to work through anything, you can make it work....
My husband and I tend to visit 2-3 times each year, which helps out in filling that missing void that my husband tends to get when not being able to see his family on a daily basis.... What most women/men don't realize, is that Domincan's have a very strong family basis and their families are #1 in life.... I myself was born in the US, but come from an Eastern European culture and the fact that I only have my mother in the US, makes it even better to be part of such a wonderful big family in the DR.....

Don't get me wrong, there are days that we probably drive each other crazy, but I wouldn't change my life for the world!!!!!!!!!

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Been married almost 3 years now, 2 kids, life's good

Long time no post, Hi Anna, hope your well. Anyways, met my wife in 2002, I was a player who just wanted quickies, ran scams on normal girls to get a piece and paid working girls. Met a real nice girl, Yesenia, was cramping my style so tried to find everything wrong with her and imagine that she was gold digger, loose morals because I got her in the family way, and she wasn't a working girl if anyone must know. Eventually got her and our son Howie here in 2004, got married. Eventually I was totally honest about my past and how I was and we worked everything out. It's true honesty is a great policy for a mariage. I love that woman with my whole heart and she's the one for me, no more games, etc. A good woman can change someone. We had another son, Ryan born in October 2006. She works, we now have a small hair salon inside of her home, it's her house but lets her widowed mom and sisters live there, in Guajaca (just outside of Sajoma) where we also have 4 tareas for our future home. She still works at the same place about 2 years now as a cashier in a retailer, we have a good sized downpayment saved up for a future home in Michigan. Couldn't ask for a better woman. She is learning to save and plan for future, she likes to spend money on whims, usually stuff for the boys. For Valentine's I bought her the wedding ring set she deserved. I feel any good woman can change someone or vice versus if you're ready for it and let your guard down/feelings show. Nationality has nothing to do with it in most areas dealing with the heart. I'm much happier now than I was just 5 years ago when I thought my life was great and I'd rather chew my arm off then be saddled down with a family. I'll try to post some recent pics of the boys.
dale7 Howard

Kristybubs

Nov 9, 2002
We made it!!.....

May 2000 - Working a trade show near a London airport, England, looking at the signs for the aiport wanting so desperately to get away. Wasn't going through anything really bad, but was not happy in my life. So I decided right... I'm off... I was going to go somewhere in Europe but (thankfully ;) ) a friend said, as you're going last minute & on your own you can go to the Caribbean for the same price!!....

GREAT - So I looked into it - next thing I knew June 4th 2000 I was on a plane to the Dominican Republic, no idea which Hotel (however I did book an all inclusive but mainly as I was on my own so thought that would be best)... Ended up at the Bahia Principe, San Juan.

Met some other ladies on their own, made several friends had a great time... Then it happened... the 2nd week of my stay I was sat up the Pueblo Principe and this great looking Dominican came to ask me to dance... The music stopped, he took me back to my seat barely touched the chair and he pulled me up again for the next song... this happened again and again - lol :cheeky:......

We spent some time together although with very few words said as my Spanish was very limited at the time & he did'nt speak English either... (was very amusing looking back we just sat and smiled or found translators) or just danced all night long... Turned out he was responsible for painting & setting up the sceneries for the shows, created the signs for Pueblo Principe & did the murals around the Hotel & Shops, but he stuck around to dance along with the animacion in the evenings.

The bus arrived to take me to the aiport :disappoin - he gave me a photo of himself which someone (turned out to be his sister) had written on the back "This is not the end, just the start of my love for you" Get the tissues quick - the waterworks started.. everyone was so sweet & said I would survive but all I could think about was I DON'T WANT TO GOOOOOO

I took it all with a pinch of salt - thought I'd never see the guy again - just a "Holiday Romance", but did arrange to go back with 2 other ladies that were there alone, they backed out but I decided to go anyway - I had only had 1 phone call with him from June to Sept, I could not flick through the dictionary fast enough to try and translate lol :glasses: - mad, we did send several letters and faxes though!....

I went back in Sept '00.. He was still there (Danny is his name)- it was like we never seperated - We left the Hotel a few times to go to the beach and also to meet his family (my Spanish had improved a little - but still had a lot to learn) everyone was asking when we were getting married :surprised - HUH - What!.. You're all crazy we only just met... But thats all I heard. I explained to Danny that when I have all my bills & house sorted out in England I could rent it out and move over here and see how we get on - perhaps 2 years time, he joked saying "too long", but I could see no other possibility.

(sorry for babbling on - I will try to shorten the rest)

By the end of the 2 weeks - I got home (again with all the waterworks) decided right thats it - House on the market - I had decided to sell it and move to the Dominican Republic - Everyone thought I was mad - for some strange reason though my parents (who I thought would flip) (they were living in Florida) were very understanding - and said well let us meet him - don't leave us out - so we all decided to go and meet there in December....

December '00 we got engaged... Got a buyer for my house - then in March '01 I packed as much as I could and left the residence of England bound for the Dominican Republic :D

I wont go into all the details now (can discuss further at a later date if necessary) - but the short is moved to Rio San Juan -then Oct 19th 2001 we got married - the following year we decided to move to Florida... and we have been here ever since (with as many trips to the DR as we can).. Just about to return to the Dominican Republic on Oct 10th '07 to celebrate our 6th Wedding Anniversary.

We have had our ups & downs - but he is the best man I have ever known - I love him sooo much, we get on so well we are best friends as well as hubby & wife :p xxxxxx

Pamela69

Sep 2, 2007
1991 i moved to the DR to work as a manager in a Hotel and had a great time. After several months i met him and all the alarmbels were ringing because he worked in Animation of another hotel and i as a Manager was very aware of thear reputation. After dating him a bit i deciding to listen to all the advice people around my gave me and decided that i would stay alone but he kept on coming by the hotel.
After a few weeks i agreed to go on the last date with him but i turned out to be the start of our relationship.
After 1,5 years i became pregnant and during the pregancy i had to go back to Holland because i went ill. Back then it wasn't that diffecult to bring him to Holland and we decided to stay here untill hours child was born.
After my son was borne we found out that he had the metabolicdecice PKU and had to stay in Holland.
We got married en he went to school and did very well and eventually found a good job.
The problem that we had in our marriage didn't involve other women but every thing about homesickniss of us both and i to the day of today still believe that even a sanky can fall in love.
After 14 years of waiting for a green lite given by the doctors we are finely able to go back home together with our 3 kids and as happy together as when we left our home

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
And they said...

-39 year age difference
-I live in NY, she lived in poorest section of SD
-needed a translator to communicate by phone
-she with 2 kids and a large family with crazy (literally) problems

Now, 5 years later, we just got married. She went back to school (which she left at age 12) and will enter University next year. Kids are in Garden Kids school and speaking english. She has 2 jobs and we have started a business.

Our house is being built and I will be winding down my NY life soon and moving to Sosua to be a full time dad and husband (warden, psychiatrist...).

Boy, what a 3rd act to my life, and what a 2nd act to hers!

And they said I was crazy. True, just crazy enough. - D

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I have been with my Dominican husband for 3,5 years now, of which the last 1,5 year married. The last 2 years I have been living in the DR full time (before that only half time...literally), but since a couple of weeks I've been living in my home country again and trying to get him here now. He wanted to stay there, I didnt... (unbelievable I know..) so now we are busy with the resident visa for him for my country. We decided we would try that for a couple of years and then make our final decision; stay in my country, go back to his country or maybe a third country...
I'm super happy with him, although it hasnt always been easy. We're thinking about babies now (im 25, he's 28) but first we want him to have the resident visa and a steady job for us both etc. Im really looking forward to start this new episode in our life, although Im sometimes worried how he's gonna like living over here. He has been here 2 times before already (total of 4 months and he's been to the USA for 2 months, but still living here (or anywhere else for that matter) is completely different then just visiting, but Im confident we can make it work, at least for a couple of years :)

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Been married over 4 years now

Rarely post on DR1 anymore. Yesenia and I have been married for over 4 years. We now have 3 boys and are planning to fix up our home in Sajoma in the next 2 years and we still live in Michigan. She still works at the same store and has been there for 3 years and just passed her supervisor test. Life is good but frustrating, I'm more frustrated with raising 3 young boys, Howie is now 5 1/2, 22 month old Ryan, and 4 month old Alexander than with any cultural problems with her or being dominican. It helps that we both are 31 and not a huge age difference and we have things in common. Wish all the best and use your head as well as your heart.

2699499671_af384019cc.jpg

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Long Long time ago

I was trying to search for very first post to attach a message to it - but i cant find it. So i thought this was the most appropriate place leave the message.

In 2004 i posted "Does anyone know" post. Looking for my holiday romance.Of course i got shot down LOL

Anyway long and short of it - we are still together - i've living and working here for over 2 years. We have a nice house, 2 dogs and quiet life.

It can work out but so many times i've seen friends get hurt when it didn't.

Be wise use this board and make an informed choice.

zelia1

Feb 2, 2009
married and happy

hey i have been married to a domincan man for 14 years. we met when i was 15 years and have been together ever since. it was ruff the 3rd and 4th year and after 2 kids. all i have to say is he is wonderful father but not romantic at all. i dont know if i just got a great dominican or the rumors i hear about dominican men are not true. i love when we vacation in d.r and plan to purchase a piece of land to start building our home there. i am so happy with him ( he will never know) ! i feel i have the perfect live with him own our home and have 3 children together. very hard worker. i am thirty now and he is 32 and plan to be together until death. so it can happen alot of dominican men are great seek and you shall find.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
32 years and counting...

I met my Dominican husband when I was on vacation in SD over Thanksgiving 1975, back when I wasn't even sure where the DR was. (I'm Italian American) We were married December 1976 - it's been 32 years so far, and I can't imagine life without him. Our 2 kids are both adults now and professionals, plus we have an amazing 2 year old grandchild. And we'll be retiring to DR within the next 5 years, God willing.....

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Your never to old for happness

While looking for a wife. I met a beautiful young lady while traveling through the countryside. When I say countryside the road and the village is not on any map. I dated for a year and told her I was not rich but it she loved me we could have a good life. Now 6 years later we are married, have two lovely children, nice house and very very happy. I’m a man 66 years old and to have this at my age makes me the happiest man alive.

Reactions: wuarhat

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
I was trying to search for very first post to attach a message to it - but i cant find it. So i thought this was the most appropriate place leave the message.

In 2004 i posted "Does anyone know" post. Looking for my holiday romance.Of course i got shot down LOL

Anyway long and short of it - we are still together - i've living and working here for over 2 years. We have a nice house, 2 dogs and quiet life.

It can work out but so many times i've seen friends get hurt when it didn't.

Be wise use this board and make an informed choice.
Still here, still working, still together but now we have 3 dogs lol.

Still watching people not learning from their mistakes.

Be informed, be wise, be real.

sherri

Jan 25, 2006
Happy Family of Three..

I met my now husband in 2005, we were friends for a long time and 2007 I moved to D.R. We got married in 2008, had our son in late 2008. We decided to move to Canada in 2009. It's now 2010, I just finished college, he just started and everything is going great. He comes from a wealthy family, he is university educated with family values like my own. I was lucky enough to find a "rare" Dominican man who prefers to spend time with his family than fool around in the street. To any of you who second guess if your with a sankie, you probably are! Look at the family he comes from, how he has lived his life and you will figure it out. Good luck to all! ;)

samyprez

Nov 27, 2006
For those who think is very hard.

Usually i found men and women from here in love with the Dominican over there having a whole bunch of doubts and fears about "what if"..
What i say to all of them unsuccessful relationships do not depend on where is he or her from and it is marriages is a roulette, or lottery.

Follow your heart ( taking some safety measurement ).

I been with my wife for 15 years now and we are not only husband and wife but also best friends. we share all secrets and fantasies and deal with everything together. ( sexually not a typical kind of couple - very open minded ) but we have a family and keep things very balanced.

She brought me here, even when she found out that i had a couple of girlfriends back home, never been faithful to nothing, hated long term commitments, not a responsible person. Still.. she bet on me and she won.

We have been happy ever since and i would not change her for anything or anyone in this life.