Suggestions on re-building Tourism ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe we should brainstorm on what would accelerate the return of tourism numbers - that is after the Covid-Nazis unlock the concentration camp that is currently setup.

I had one idea (besides lower fees at POP), make overstay visas immediacy available just after clearing immigration. A nice booth with clear sign in English, German, French and Russian (but not Chinese), that 60, 90, 120 & 180 day visas are available.
Sell them at a slight discount to those who purchase on exit (why not let DR use the money earlier ?)
And issue a plastic card that embosses the persons Passport Number, Name and Date of Entry. Yes this would take some technology to have a card press. You loose it well that's your loss, or just a staple in passport overstay Visa paper card that the attendants fill in with ink .

Start demonstrating to those now sparse tourists like they are truly welcome to enjoy longer stays to boost the economy and whatever is done - No more caged Gringo-Roundup bus sweeps.

Reactions: ctrob and aarhus

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Do something to separate the risk averse groups to the risk acceptance groups. Use the AI's to encourage the risk averse groups and use the hotels to encourage the risks acceptance or freedom loving groups. Market it that way. The AI's could come up with some "Look how safe we are" campaign and the hotels could devise a "We know you don't want us holding your hand" ad campaign. Then market all the non-AI stuff the DR has to offer.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Finally having a snowbird visa would help, but those people are a very small overall part of DR tourism
Reducing the cost of airport fees would probably help more.
They are a small group but more important now with the mass tourism on hold.

Reactions: drstock

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That small group may not be allowed to enter for a loooong time

They are tourists...Plain & simple....but tourists who want to live like a resident
I doubt that will happen

I think tourists will come to the safe AI's....and stay inside
The bulk of them never leave anyway... having paid for room, food, booze
and w/ a beach at the doorstep

That visitor will be the earliest - I think

The interlopers will wait a long time.... perhaps

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Yes, my regular snowbird clients are all hoping to return this year, so why not make them welcome? I very much doubt there will be anything like as many short-term tourists as usual.
Thats good news

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
That small group may not be allowed to enter for a loooong time

They are tourists...Plain & simple....but tourists who want to live like a resident
I doubt that will happen

I think tourists will come to the safe AI's....and stay inside
The bulk of them never leave anyway... having paid for room, food, booze
and w/ a beach at the doorstep

That visitor will be the earliest - I think

The interlopers will wait a long time.... perhaps
We don’t really know yet how it will play out. The government has still said nothing. Not even July is clear.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, my regular snowbird clients are all hoping to return this year, so why not make them welcome? I very much doubt there will be anything like as many short-term tourists as usual.
And they spend quite a bit in the months they are here, plus they are repeat clients, more likely to be the first looking to come back.............someone has to put their toes in the water and ass in the sand and tell those back in their countries that all is fine.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Correct.... we know little to nothing yet....

but I strongly hunch that the country will want better control over it’s vistors
a Snowbird visa might accomplish that

the snag is ... so many of that type of visitor rail against any type of oversight
call them renegades, whatever you like.... but they do not to conform for some reason

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
And they spend quite a bit in the months they are here, plus they are repeat clients, more likely to be the first looking to come back.............someone has to put their toes in the water and ass in the sand and tell those back in their countries that all is fine.
Good point

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No question...
many have property- cars- but no residency

I say that puts them at a disadvantage...... just me sayin'

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I deal with some companies in China in importing some products for women. All of the companies I found thru the Ali Baba platform. What I have come to learn is without certain certifications and standards from AliBaba these companies would have no value to me since I would not know a ying from a yang. To the point: Aside from the hotel association in the DR (and I don't know what they do) what if there was a strong organization that would govern hotels and instead of "customer reviews" (which are made up fairy tales with no certification) they would issue ratings for the public to read. They would include health, hygiene, customer service and response rate. Food quality. protocol on covid, and more, and perhaps no comments on pricing. Let the public decide on the market price.
I know that the system with Ali Baba must work because I threaten a supplier once to report them for bait and switch and they changed their tune to satisfy me.
Just my two cents.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Another thought comes to mind . How much scrutiny does airbnb put into their rental properties Iin the DR? IDK, but if its noet enough so as to damage the rep the DR perhaps the screws should be put to them to improve standards that need to be met.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
They need to lower the price of jet fuel for starters. It's taxed here in the DR. Why?. An aircraft traveling internationally is taking that fuel out of the country and an airport apron is technically a duty free zone or zona franca. Generally speaking aviation fuel is tax free, or at least the tax is nominal.

Dominican aviation fuel is probably the most expensive in the Caribbean. I have never understood why the Dom govt can't see that if they lowered the price of fuel, then airlines would buy more of it, rather than tanking from their destination.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
I deal with some companies in China in importing some products for women. All of the companies I found thru the Ali Baba platform. What I have come to learn is without certain certifications and standards from AliBaba these companies would have no value to me since I would not know a ying from a yang. To the point: Aside from the hotel association in the DR (and I don't know what they do) what if there was a strong organization that would govern hotels and instead of "customer reviews" (which are made up fairy tales with no certification) they would issue ratings for the public to read. They would include health, hygiene, customer service and response rate. Food quality. protocol on covid, and more, and perhaps no comments on pricing. Let the public decide on the market price.
I know that the system with Ali Baba must work because I threaten a supplier once to report them for bait and switch and they changed their tune to satisfy me.
Just my two cents.
Certification is a strong point, because valued by customers. If trusted. And it is a big IF. Certificates could become a bait for bribery.
A huge hotel would gladly pay $5000 for a nice certificate. A small one not so easily.
The customer reviews you describe as fairy tales may or may not be made up. But customer research finds that people know this and accept one negative fairy tale if there are 5 positive ones.
Alibaba is a strong, huge organization not dependent on individual sellers. They work hard for their reputation and can't be bribed. A different world.

Reactions: johne

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Correct.... we know little to nothing yet....

but I strongly hunch that the country will want better control over it’s vistors
a Snowbird visa might accomplish that

the snag is ... so many of that type of visitor rail against any type of oversight
call them renegades, whatever you like.... but they do not to conform for some reason
My snowbird clients have told me they would willingly pay for a snowbird visa if one were available up to six months.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
They need to lower the price of jet fuel for starters. It's taxed here in the DR. Why?. An aircraft traveling internationally is taking that fuel out of the country and an airport apron is technically a duty free zone or zona franca. Generally speaking aviation fuel is tax free, or at least the tax is nominal.

Dominican aviation fuel is probably the most expensive in the Caribbean. I have never understood why the Dom govt can't see that if they lowered the price of fuel, then airlines would buy more of it, rather than tanking from their destination.
I didn't realise that airlines had to pay that fuel tax on top of the other airport taxes which are said to be extremely high. It seems to be a Dominican problem when dealing with foreigners - get the money while you can and never consider if they will stop coming back.

Reactions: beeza