suicides in DR

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Here's the "REASON".
If you lived here, had no money, and no chance of EVER leaving the DR,
YOU would kill yourself too!
For me, living in the DR is like going "camping" in the wilderness.
It's fun, something different, lots of surprises,gives one the feeling that you are a "survivor,BUT, always knowing that you can pack up your gear, and go back to civilization whenever you choose, makes it tolerable!
We all have a "Ticket Out", "Dominicanos" don't!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and today la zeta reports that DR 7-8 suicides per 100.000 people while latin america in general has 4-5.
Z 101

Here's the "REASON".
If you lived here, had no money, and no chance of EVER leaving the DR,
YOU would kill yourself too!
For me, living in the DR is like going "camping" in the wilderness.
It's fun, something different, lots of surprises,gives one the feeling that you are a "survivor,BUT, always knowing that you can pack up your gear, and go back to civilization whenever you choose, makes it tolerable!
We all have a "Ticket Out", "Dominicanos" don't!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Exactly.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Great article. Basically the reasons are a more materialistic society that puts pressure on young people to succeed monetarily and also because of moral bankruptcy and the rejection of the "tradici?n judeo cristiana.

Regarding the former I have witnessed this myself among young men, ie it is difficult to find a girlfriend because they are not considered well off enough even though they have a full time job.

As long as Dominican youth continue to be enamored by the American materialistic lifestyle and worthless music these problems can't get any better.

Chip,
I see you're training for my faith. May the force be with you!
When I'm without a girlfriend and sex I also feel life is not worth living, must be the hormones.
Missed all your excitement! :classic:

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Welcome back Chip and Pollo

Suicides in the modern age are tied to industrialized societies where pressures to earn and privide baubles ie cars flash clothing etc cause depression. Without money most men in this society are worthless. It feels even more so in the DR. Try to get a pity **** being broke. LOL Not a chance.
Japan has the highest suicide rate. THose kids have clubs and such.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
This is an interesting thread because I once had a friend name Lelo who owned a jet ski business in Sosusa - Financially he did quite well but I heard from a friend that a few years ago he committed suicide over a girl =( So sad, he was a good guy and I wouldn't have expected that he would do that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think lately suicides in DR get a lot off media attention. hopefully it will lead to some changes like easy access to psychological and psychiatric help. i do not think DR has a suicide helpline either. another good idea. sometimes suicides are well planned and the desperation of the person is so great they will do anything to kill themselves. but sometimes it is an impulse, one moment of feeling so low that no other option seems to exist. those people would really benefit from a helpline. or even from friends who would listen...

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Then you come here in trying to get some help under the table so to speak and people make fun at you, talk about not reading between the lines, or really, listening.

i think lately suicides in DR get a lot off media attention. hopefully it will lead to some changes like easy access to psychological and psychiatric help. i do not think DR has a suicide helpline either. another good idea. sometimes suicides are well planned and the desperation of the person is so great they will do anything to kill themselves. but sometimes it is an impulse, one moment of feeling so low that no other option seems to exist. those people would really benefit from a helpline. or even from friends who would listen...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Then you come here in trying to get some help under the table so to speak and people make fun at you, talk about not reading between the lines, or really, listening.

When you post your personal information to your immediate 63,787 close friends on a public bulletin board, what do you expect?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Hi DV8. the link below had a date of 10/10/13, but i wasn't certain if the story was up to date. I thought Padre Billini had undergone a restoration and although a free hospital had a reputation for decent care. This article was sad, indeed.

On another thread a link led to a gov official commenting on the Constitutional amendment/clarification. He presented as point of strategy to purposely disallow Dominicans from leaving the island. Is this a factor, or is it just countries won't give visas cuz they won't leave? I would be desperate to get off that island if I were born there.

and just look at the situation in padre blini mental hospital...
click of photos section. how can anyone live like this:
Hospital Padre Billini: ?Salud mental con dignidad? - DiarioLibre.com

i just don't understand. where is help for those who need it the most?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hi DV8. the link below had a date of 10/10/13, but i wasn't certain if the story was up to date. I thought Padre Billini had undergone a restoration and although a free hospital had a reputation for decent care. This article was sad, indeed.

i checked that because i also heard about renovation projects for this hospital. in august the government put the reconstruction project out to bidding:
Salud P?blica realizar? ma?ana sorteo para reconstrucci?n de hospitales - DiarioLibre.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am reminded of the "polak" who came home early from work one day.
He found his wife in bed with his best friend.
He got his pistol, and pointed it at his head.
His wife and friend began to laugh.
He said, "What's SO Funny, You're NEXT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I wonder if the Dominicans who kill themselves, realize, that, "Suicide is a Permanent "Solution", to a Temporary Problem"????
Remembering THAT, has saved my life more than once!!!!

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
Regarding the former I have witnessed this myself among young men, ie it is difficult to find a girlfriend because they are not considered well off enough even though they have a full time job.

what i don't get if i talk to my fellow young gentlemen here, when we're somewhere and i ask them to approach a young lady their answer always is that they don't have money for a novia but in the night they all btchs to chose from to fck with.

i'm still trying to figure out what i'm missing here..