Sunday thread. Pictures of jarabacoa, taveras Dam, cobreboy's visit.

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Are you kidding me? Colombia is way more diverse and nature is well kept than DR...I appreciate the pics that the OP took, but I have seen nicer places of Latin America (Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica)...I see too many deforested hills and the rivers, Jarabacoa does not impress me at all...you can see how the deforestation and the construction companies have destructed the rivers. DR people boast of how "diverse" it is (in the Caribbean context) but I think that Cuba and Jamaica may well deserve the title when in 10 or 12 years down the road this country looks more like Haiti than to itself.

Jarraboccoa was pieceful and easy to get to from all over the country.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are you kidding me? Colombia is way more diverse and nature is well kept than DR...I appreciate the pics that the OP took, but I have seen nicer places of Latin America (Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica)...I see too many deforested hills and the rivers, Jarabacoa does not impress me at all...you can see how the deforestation and the construction companies have destructed the rivers. DR people boast of how "diverse" it is (in the Caribbean context) but I think that Cuba and Jamaica may well deserve the title when in 10 or 12 years down the road this country looks more like Haiti than to itself.

You are not incorrect, and I can find places all over Canada and the USA that are more pristeen than Jarabacoa, but having travelled to many places around Jarabacoa I can tell you that construction companies have not touched the rivers there and logging of trees stopped many years ago. There many hidden oasis that are seemingly untouched by mankind. Most of the gravel, rocks...etc that you see in the pictures are due to the rapid rise and fall of the water caused by tropical rainfalls/storms/huricanes. Where is it that the contruction companies have destructed the rivers in Jarabacoa- you can point it out to me so I can check for myself the next time I visit. ABZ nice pictures and cute girl.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Last time I was there we rented the horses for 35 pesos an hour.

When was it when you paid 35 pesos / hours? I bet it was many years ago. I doubt very much if its 35 pesos / hour now. Not even close.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

You are out of your mind. I can show you places in this small island which will blow your mind. You just don't know what you are talking about. you are comparing the nature of DR to Venezuela? You are nuts. I bet i have traveled more than you and I think you have seen very little in DR to pass such incorrect comments about this island.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
There were many guys with many horses by the river. It was maybe 2005. The resort hotel wanted about $10 at the time per hour.

well jimmyDr you paid very good price even in 2005. I am sure the prices have gone way up since then.
AZB

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Awesome pics AZB!!Thanks for sharing

The river is beautiful...where I live , I'm surrounded by rivers and mountains-the Rockies, a beach is like 10 hour drive...so when I come to DR, or the tropics I'm there strictly for the sand,sea,ocean and palms!!

do they have flyfishing and what kind of fish? like lake trout?

your wife is beautiful!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Have you gone to the river where the horse guys are?
Everything is cheaper there. I will give an update after I return.
Its the river by confluencia, there you have all the horse guys. they are very aggressive and will surround you to push to to get a horse from them. they don't leave you alone if you make the mistake of talking to one of them.
AZB

Jan 3, 2003
Jarraboccoa was pieceful and easy to get to from all over the country.

I agree. Costa Rica, Colombia and Panama- you run the risk of

A) Getting lost and having a scorpion bite you in the ass- early grave
B) Getting tangled in slime and having a snake end your life
C) Running into banditos or becoming the next hostage of the numerous paramilitaries, FARC, Chavez's folks or drug dealer's, runners, etc.
D) Running into natives who blow-gun you with a dart and eat your ass

To last days or weeks in these environs, you must be Bear Gryls or Survivor Man- so forget about it.

In the DR, you can get lost and not worry about any lethal wildlife-doesn't exist. You can camp out and enjoy yourself in a low maintenance environs. The mountains are just the right size to hike and enjoy. No death ascent here where you have to eat your partners because you went too high. Nothing like the safety of DR's ecological areas. Hands down DR is above and beyond these death traps!!

If you are depressed, despondent over life's travails, then go to Colombia, or Venezuela for eco-tourism. Don't worry in one way or another something will EAT YOU. Ascend Mt. Everest, you're guaranteed never to come back down.

Last edited:

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006

That is the most ridiculous thing I've read. We are all now 200% dumber for having read it. Damn.

Se?or_Jimenez

Mar 2, 2006
First of I've only been to 4 different countries but I still doubt that a country as small as ours can have so much diversity in an area of about 90 miles (from La Capital to Santiago and its surrounding areas). In La Capital you have a First rate World Class City with all the modern conveniences of the modern world and then you have Living History in La Zona Colonial. Jarabacoa has to be one of the most beautiful areas in all the country. And not because our very good friend Hipolito lives there, but because look at the pics AZB took. Then you have Santiago and all it's unique and subtle beauty that many will not know or care to know. So let's leave all the comparisons to other half-rate countries because it's not cutting it. The only country I wanna hear bashed and called ugly is Haiti because it really is.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
x270aw.jpg

Wow...you weren't kidding when you said those Santiagueras are really good looking. We have nothing like this in Cotui. I bet you have tons of others like this one...