sup guys, quick question about college in DR.

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
"Lean on me"

If you are going to come here to study! (And a bit of social life!! LOL)

Seriously.

Where does your brother live?? We have a few kids here from "Providencia"..and Lawrence and Patterson and good ol' NYC!

HB

I appreciate that a lot Luis! and that's cool that you guys have some students from these areas will make it easier for me. My brother lives in "Moca" so that is about... 25 minutes away from the University.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
If I may interject I would like to discuss costs and their reduction.

College cost in either country is a problem unless you are from a family that has more then enough money to pay the necessary fees involved in education.

Being Dominican or Dominican/American or American/Dominican puts you into that minority corner which automatically allows you some avenues that are not available to others.

There are a large number of groups and organizations out there that offer becas to students for their quest for education. Some of them are Dominican based and located right there in the US. I think that you should actively persue their help in your desire to go to college.

Rick

alvaro_g16

Oct 24, 2006
Rick I know there are a ton of opportunities to pay college, especially in the United States, but say I take a loan to pay college. Instead of having to stay here for four years to get a degree I will have to stay now 5 to 6 years to pay that loan. That is what I believe, I don't know if I am 100% correct on this.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I wasn't talking loans I was talking about free scolarships to help defray the cost of college.

Rick

Edited to add;

With the cost of college here being cheaper then there in the US any monies that can be gathered free go farther.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
I still think its a better idea to attend school in the US. I think you will earn more money down the line and you can always visit the DR anyway .

pbarcacel

May 5, 2005
Hi Alvaro,

If I were you, I would do my degree in the US, as it would have more weight -internationally - than one from Dom Rep.

I did my Business / International Management studies in Dom Rep , and then I came to London to pursue a Masters. In my case, having two degrees from two - very different - countries was very interesing. My degree in PUCMM was actually not that bad, in fact, when I came to Europe I noticed that our education system (private one) is not as bad as most people think..

BUT

If I were you, and in your situation, I wouldnt think twice about it - I would finish my degree in the US and if you really want to work in DR, you will have to find a very good job - with a very decent salary that allows you to have a car and decent living, otherwise, you will not like being in the Caribbean, walking around using their 'amazing' transport system and not having electricity at home ;-)

That is my suggestion. I also think you should speak with your teachers at school. They will for sure give you the best advise.

Hope this helps,

Paola.
London