Super Pola ??

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Carne at Nacional

Mike: Not to put down Your Butcher Omar but - I have bought alot of meat/poultry at Nacional. Whenever I have been there - the meat has been always been excellent. I have had the butchers(?) behind the counter - who were always wearing gloves - cut meat for me too. The carne/poultry has been excellent so far. I, at this point, would not be looking to buy my meats anywhere else. I used to buy it at Delicana and the chicken and chuletas very good. Before Nacional - and if we were in Veron some of the markets were just not showing very good meats. So hooray for Nacional.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
no complaints about Nacional from my side for sure,
I love their Hams and Salamis, and the veggie station is outstanding.
the Minimarkets in Veron been never a place where I would have trusted Meat, that's why I stick with my Butcher.
we still did not check out Super Pola, but that will come soon the next days.

Mike

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
Will be in Punta Cana next week. Where is Super Pola located?
How would I get there from Cortecito?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's in the big new San Juan shopping centre near the Coco Loco crossing. From Cortecito head towards Ver?n/the airport and you will see it on your left hand side soon after passing the nightclub that looks like the Kremlin. It's a couple of hundred metres before the B?varo-Ver?n road joins the new highway.

If you miss it, continue towards the airport and follow signs to Supermercado Nacional which is more upscale and less chaotic :)

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Will be in Punta Cana next week. Where is Super Pola located?
How would I get there from Cortecito?

in case You do not have a rental car or ike or such,
take the Public Bus, costs just $1.- per Person per Ride,
they pass by the mainroad in front of El Cortecito around every 20 minutes all day long.
just let the Driver's Assistant know You want to be dropped of at "San Juan Sgopping Coco Loco" and they will drop You off right there.

for the way back to El Cortecito You stop the Bus right on the mainroad in front of the Shopping Center and tell the that You want to be dropped off in El Cortecito.

Happy Shopping

Mike

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
68180149370761779643100.jpg

16301614936972511308010.jpg

16523714936951177976810.jpg

68161149370085113044100.jpg

16573014936979844640610.jpg

16323814937035511301710.jpg

44816458.jpg

46085451.jpg

San-Juan-Shopping-Center-october.jpg

img0113qi.jpg

img0114df.jpg

img0115kq.jpg

img0118zo.jpg

img0119mbz.jpg

img0120om.jpg

img0122yu.jpg

img0123yd.jpg

img0124nn.jpg

img0126az.jpg

img0127pv.jpg

polm.jpg

201102171456081.jpg

French expert trains Dominican butchers in experience to cut meats.

By Grupo Ramos ? Thursday, October 14, 2010

The French expert Jean-Claude Demont, specializing in
preservation of meats and sausages, is training
employees of our companies and Stores The Super Pola - La Sirena,
to improve our customer service for clients which visit daily on our branches.
71951_164333970259945_121396377887038_500306_7186405_n.jpg

167997_197284350298240_121396377887038_745210_509145_n.jpg

181585_197284393631569_121396377887038_745212_7365130_n.jpg

7.jpg

Super-Pola-Bvaro.jpg

sanjuanshoppingbavaro.jpg

agw

Feb 14, 2010
We did a lot of shopping at both Super Palo and National this month, and I was very impressed with both of them! They are not the size of North American grocery stores, but still have pretty much everything you could need. Great fresh chicken at Super Palo and I was able to find all the condiments and usual household supplies there as well with prices that were pretty close to what I pay at home - maybe less on some things like cheese and some meats.

I found prices to be a little lower at Super Palo on some things including the usual rum and beer, but National had very nice broccoli in their produce cooler (which is a great idea - I'd like that at home!) and some great wine at only RD$1.09 per 750 ml! The walkin cold beverage room at Super Palo is excellent and very well stocked on the basics.

I was really pleased to find that both stores had a nice selection of fresh herbs! I think the fruit and veg on the whole was fresher looking at Super Palo than National except for the stuff in their cooler. Maybe the turnover at Super Palo was higher. It did seem busier to me. Of course the best produce I had was from the back of the trucks I was lucky enough to buy from when I was in the right place at the right time! I need to find out their usual schedule for next year.

I will never bring stuff from home with me again for our stays. Everything is now easily found at either of those two stores and both are handy to stop at on your way to almost anywhere you might stay at in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pichardo, any chance of reducing the photos? I think I recognised a couple of my neighbours' cars in them. And great that you recorded those signs for posterity - the ones showing the way to the Foud court and the Bussnes center!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Supermercado Nacional in Punta Cana has some special offers on wines from 6-10 this evening.

agw

Feb 14, 2010
Wow! What wine do they have that costs a peso a litre?

Opps! Typo - I meant RD$109.00 per bottle!

I'll find out the name later today from my boyfriend who is still there. I know he bought some just the other day.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Credit Cards

Can anyone tell me which stores take credit cards and what type (ie American Express, Visa, Master Card, etc.)? Thanks Don

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
all those Stores accept Visa and Master Cards.
I did not pay attention to Amex, as they are not much used here in the country, but everybody is shopping with Visa and Master around the Island.

Mike

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Can anyone tell me which stores take credit cards and what type (ie American Express, Visa, Master Card, etc.)? Thanks Don

With regard to American Express, they take it as the Super Pola, however its hit or miss else where, they took it at larger tourist chain resturants etc...I am being told that it takes too long for the vendors to be paid when they utilize American Express plus they charge a higher transaction fee from that of Visa or Master Card....I can tell you that I received a great exchange when I purchased and paid with Amex...$38RD to $1US back in April:):)

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks That is a good rate. I looked at the rate today on xe.com and it's 37.40, but one local shop gave me 37.50 yesterday when I exchanged. True statement. Most small businesses cannot absorb that fee. I know Amex charges merchants 3% and up, but did AMEX charge you a fee? I sent customer service and haven't received a reply

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the local exchange rate been a week ago 37.85 and is this week 37.90 and as usual climbing week by week.

jrjrth,
where do you get such info from, do you run a business here in the DR and accept CC';s from your customers or do you just "assume" such Info??
I run a business here and yes, I also accept CC's fro my customers, so here's my own experience of 16+ Years with those CC's to compare with.
to accept Am,ex as a Biz Owner You need to use One Company and their Machine and contravt,
and to accept all the otyer credit card providers together such as Visa or Master or Diners or German Bank etc(and a dozen more) You need for all them together just one Machione from one provider, that provider accepts them ALL Minus Amex, and that is the simple reason why most bIz down here do not accept Amex, a aditional machine with additional monthly Fees for the Veriphone for just One single CC Kind anyways used by a few of the numerous Customers, so we Biz owners stick to the One where All minus one are accepted, Customers are very happy with that.
with Visa and Master you go fine here in the DR all around the island where ever CC's are accepted, no need to search or haggle.

Mike

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
the local exchange rate been a week ago 37.85 and is this week 37.90 and as usual climbing week by week.

jrjrth,
where do you get such info from, do you run a business here in the DR and accept CC';s from your customers or do you just "assume" such Info??
I run a business here and yes, I also accept CC's fro my customers, so here's my own experience of 16+ Years with those CC's to compare with.
to accept Am,ex as a Biz Owner You need to use One Company and their Machine and contravt,
and to accept all the otyer credit card providers together such as Visa or Master or Diners or German Bank etc(and a dozen more) You need for all them together just one Machione from one provider, that provider accepts them ALL Minus Amex, and that is the simple reason why most bIz down here do not accept Amex, a aditional machine with additional monthly Fees for the Veriphone for just One single CC Kind anyways used by a few of the numerous Customers, so we Biz owners stick to the One where All minus one are accepted, Customers are very happy with that.
with Visa and Master you go fine here in the DR all around the island where ever CC's are accepted, no need to search or haggle.

Mike

Mike

With the utmost respect I respond to your post as follows;

I get my information from fact, I too run a business and have first hand knowledge of the multifacited complex world of the Merchant Services Industry...

I know that most Merchants are only familiar with their own discounted rate or % of each dollar processed and a possible additional flat rate per transaction fee that the Merchant services provider charges for processing each transaction. What most do not know, or cannot calculate are the bundled fees that are charged along the way for processing fees from the interchange, issung banks, and card associations that are all in the mediator phase of processing money from the issuing bank to the merchant and they all bottom feed on both sides of transactions for both the card holders and the merchants alike.

There could potentially be dozens of rates that can and are charged to the mechant that are bundled into packaged discounted rates in tier levels, these interchange rates are also known as "Qualified", "Mid Qualified" or "Non-Quaiified" fees as is the more typical terms used by Visa and Master Card.

American Express and Discover on the other hand do not participate with the Interchange fee structures being they are both their own processing house of that being the issuing/merchant bank and card association that handle their own processing in house. Merchants using American Express use a "third Party routing fee" as high as $.25US per transaction and they do not share their fees as in the case of the Interchange pratices of Visa and Master Card. Moreover yes American Express and Discover will cost the merchant additional fees for the use of the card, this has not been disputed.

With regard to the Credit Card processing machines, there are many companies that offer 1-stop shopping if you will, that have check readers, scanners, debit pin pads that process all credit cards, checks, and gift cards, however these machines are quite costly and the smaller merchants may not have the POS volumne that would warrant their use. This is why I stated that American Express charging privliges can be found at most of your Larger chain resturants and grocery stores in the Bavaro area. I would not expect that Alex's Colmado would accept American Express, or for that matter Visa and Master card...its peso and carry.

I hope this sheds some light as to my knowledge of my previous post.

~And Sharktooth777: I did not get charge an exchange fee from American Express due to my platnum status this fee is waived.

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
Thanks jrjrth for all of the info

I have visited both Super Polo and Nacional since my original post and will confirm both do in fact accept AMEX. During my visit to Super Polo, AMEX had denied the charge due to possible fraud. This was my fault for not letting AMEX know where I would be using the card. Something I forgot to do before coming here. They accepted the charge as soon as I notified customer service. Also, thanks for the info on the fee. I have a Platinum as well, but a customer service rep emailed they would charge me a 2.7% trans fee. I'll recheck with customer service to see if they provided me the wrong info. 2.7% on a couple hundred dollars won't break me, but there is no use in spending money on unneeded fees. Don